Is your carpet smelly and turning darker than its original color? Are you wondering how to freshen it up and which solutions are best?
No matter how clean we try to keep them, our floors get exposed to all kinds of bacteria. From our shoes’ soles to food inadvertently dropped or even pet mess, carpets require regular maintenance.
Whether you want something compatible with your fancy carpet cleaning machine, or something you can use in combination with a cloth, we can help. Welcome to the world of carpet shampoos and solutions. Here are the seven best carpet cleaning shampoos of the year.
- Protects from future stains
- Contains 25 percent of recycled plastic
- Four times more concentrated
- Doesn’t contain hazardous chemicals
- Natural citrus fragrance
- No animal testing
- Scotchguard technology
- Double concentration
- Safe for you and your pet
- Included brush
- No heavy equipment needed
- Lightweight, less than five pounds
- Highly effective on a range of stains
- Great fresh scent
- Safe for the household
- Light and compact
- Eliminates unpleasant smells
- 100 percent satisfaction warranty
- Low foaming wetting agents
- Contains active enzymes
- Suitable for all vacuum brands
Why Try Carpet Cleaning Solutions?
Some of us are happy to blot with paper and then vacuum afterward. But that doesn’t always do the trick. There are some serious benefits to using a dedicated carpet cleaning product:
1. Get Rid of Bacteria
You should vacuum your carpet 1-2 times per week to remove superficial dirt and pet hair. However, vacuuming alone doesn’t kill bacteria trapped inside the carpet’s fibers.
Bacteria and mold typically result in bad smells (1). This means that even after vacuuming, the foul odor will remain. Shampoos, however, clean deep inside the fabric, killing most germs on the way.
So if you’re prone to allergies or have children playing around, shampooing should be an option you explore. Keeping your carpets germ-free means healthier breathing for the entire household.
2. Fresh Smell and Look
Killing bacteria and mold nested inside your floors should remove most unpleasant odors, even if you own pets. Besides, the majority of shampoo formulas leave a fresh scent behind.
Over time, carpets can become dull and darker than they used to be. By removing deep and stubborn dirt, the original colors are revived, extending your carpet’s lifespan.
How to Choose the Best Carpet Solutions
Consider these details to find the best solution for you:
- Application process: Spot cleaners wash localized stains, while shampoos generally clean larger surfaces.
- Sensitivity: If you’re prone to allergies or chemical sensitivities, we suggest looking into eco-friendly formulas. They may take longer to work, but they’re made with active enzymes and other natural ingredients.
- Stubborn situations: We suggest a more concentrated solution for deep cleaning or pet mess.
- Brand continuity: If you own a vacuum shampoo cleaner, you might want to use products of the same brand. Some vacuum models will cancel the guarantee when other brands are utilized.
Best Carpet Cleaning Solutions of 2022
Ready to spruce up your carpet? These seven cleaning solutions are shouting your name.
1. Bissell 78H63 Deep Clean Pro 2X
Best Carpet Cleaning Shampoo for a Deep Clean
This Bissell deep clean solution works best when diluted in an upright vacuum cleaner. It contains four times more active ingredients than other solutions to remove the toughest spots and smells. For maximum efficiency, add 2.5 ounces to a gallon of water.
Although this product shouldn’t come in contact with the eyes, it’s been granted the EPA Safer Choice label (2). This guarantees that the solution is safe for your family and the environment. In addition, it doesn’t contain any dyes, phosphate, or heavy metals.
Because prevention is key, this product is made with Scotchguard patented technology. This unique feature ensures that future spills remain on the surface without sticking to the fibers of your carpet (3). This should make your next cleaning sessions faster and more effective.
- Protects from future stains using Scotchguard technology.
- Contains 25 percent of recycled plastic.
- Four times more concentrated for maximum stain removal.
- Kids and pet-friendly due to the EPA Safer Choice award.
- Works best in Bissell upright carpet cleaning machines.
- Removes stubborn and ground-in stains and odors.
- Very strong smell; some customers were irritated by the fragrance.
- It’s not compatible with Bissell portable carpet cleaning machines.
- It’s a pricy option; not very budget-friendly.
|Surface Area||Large surface|
|Unique Feature||More concentrated, Scotchguard technology|
2. Biokleen Bac-Out Stain+Odor Remover
Best Eco-Friendly Carpet Cleaning Solution
If you’re looking to reduce the number of chemicals around your home, this product might be worth considering. This solution uses live, active enzymes and plant-based wetting agents. It doesn’t only cover up smells; the active bacteria consume and eliminate them.
Anyone with allergies and chemical sensitivities will enjoy its natural and fragrance-free citrus smell. No chemicals — such as SLS, chlorine, or glycol ether — are used. This makes it safe to use around children and pets. The company further respects animals by ensuring that no animal testing is done.
Finally, this large bottle — 128 ounces — doesn’t require dilution and should last you longer than other products. Just make sure to store it in a neutral temperature environment. You don’t want to freeze or bake organisms living there.
- Doesn’t contain hazardous chemicals.
- Natural citrus fragrance leaves behind a fresh smell.
- The brand does not test on animals.
- No dilution required; the product is ready to use.
- Breakdowns and eliminates dirt and odors.
- Versatile uses on food, pet messes, wine, baby mess, and dirt.
- Removes only organic stains.
- Needs adequate storage conditions.
- Many customers reported the seal was broken and the bottle was leaking upon arrival.
|Surface Area||Large surface|
|Unique Feature||Made from living organisms, no animal testing|
3. Bissell Professional Pet Urine Elimator
Best Carpet Cleaning Shampoo for Pets
Are you looking to clean up after your pet? Want a concentrated solution that will remove bad scents from the carpet and leave it smelling like a fresh batch of laundry? This cleaner makes it possible.
Pets tend to leave double the amount of dirt (and odor). Thankfully, this carpet cleaner has double the concentration of regular products. It reaches deeper inside your carpet to remove most impurities.
Febreze is a famous brand for removing strong odors from the home. It’s part of this cleaner’s formula and should leave the fabric with a divine smell.
Like other Bissell products, it comes with Scotchguard technology. If your pet poops or urinates on your carpet, removing it should be less strenuous.
This biodegradable formula doesn’t use harmful chemicals. So you should feel safe when your pet decides to sniff around to check out the new smell.
- Scotchguard technology prevents future stains.
- Febreze-added scent adds long-lasting freshness to your carpet.
- Double concentration targets stains more intensely, reaching deeper into the carpet.
- Safe for you and your pet due to the biodegradable formula.
- Safe for use in Bissell upright carpet cleaning machines.
- Formula doesn’t contain active enzymes, so it may not clean organic stains as well as other products.
- Customers reported the Febreze scent wasn’t super strong.
|Unique Feature||Febreze-added scent, more concentrated|
4. Carbona 2-In-1 Carpet Cleaner
Best Carpet Cleaning Shampoo for Hand Wash
The unique feature of this carpet cleaner is that it’s ready for use. There’s no water to add or tank to fill. The only equipment you might need is a clean, dry cloth to pad after application.
The bottle includes a brush and foam pad, ideal for covering small areas and spills on the go. Besides cleaning, the brush should also trap any hair on its way. This makes it the perfect tool to brush and sanitize your dog’s eating or bedding area.
Whether your child has dropped ketchup or you’re looking to scrub your car’s carpets, this model should remove all types of dirt, including new and old stains.
This product is easy to grab and use since it weighs less than five pounds. On the downside, though, this is a one-time use product as you cannot refill it. As it is chemical-based, some reviewers also seem disappointed with the strong and artificial smell.
- Included brush and foam pad clean up more mess in one go.
- No heavy equipment needed; it’s ready to use as it is.
- Lightweight and easy to grab in a hurry, weighing less than five pounds.
- Highly efficient; you can use it at home or in the car.
- Oxy-powered formula uses super effective oxygen bleach.
- No refill available; it’s a one-time product.
- Some customers reported the smell was quite overpowering.
|Unique Feature||Included brush|
5. Shout Carpet Aerosol Stain and Odor Foaming Spray
Best for Convenient Application Carpet Cleaning Shampoo
If you’ve got no time to do all the nasty carpet cleaning, this might come in handy. The easy application of the aerosol carpet cleaning foam will entice busy people.
Just spray the formula on the affected areas, let it sit for just over five minutes, and you will notice the stain beginning to fade. For even better results, scrub the unwanted area post-application, then vacuum. You’d be thrilled to know how this works like magic and eases the burden of cleaning on your part.
Its tough formula washes off all types of stains ranging from food, drinks, or pet messes. This product can handle everything from grease marks on your kitchen floor to the pet urine spots and smells.
Even better, the solution can freshen upholstery.
Finally, this solution leaves a subtle fresh scent that is not overpowering to the nose.
Keep In Mind
- Easy to use in an aerosol-type can of foam.
- Highly effective at removing a range of stains, including food, drink, and pet messes.
- Great fresh scent gives the house that fantastic clean feeling.
- It’s powerful at removing stains and odors upon contact.
- It works for both carpets and upholstery.
- May cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
- If left on the carpet too long, it can create a new stain.
|Surface Area||Carpet and upholstery|
|Unique Feature||Easy spray application|
6. Rocco & Roxie Professional Eliminator
Best Carpet Spot Remover
The active enzymes should help bacteria “eat-up” organic matter until nothing of it is left. This product has also obtained the Seal of Approval of the Carpet and Rug Institute. This body evaluates the efficacy, resoling chance, residual moisture chance, potential surface appearance changes, and pH level of products (4).
As an added seal of approval, this professional strength, versatile spot cleaner won’t just remove spills from your carpet. You can also use it on tiles, concrete, hardwood, and laminate. Amazingly, you can even add it to your laundry!
- Light and compact, the packaging makes it portable.
- Eliminates unpleasant smells, including pet urine, vomit, and organic spills.
- Versatile uses; it works on carpets, floors, upholstery, pet beds, and more.
- 100 percent satisfaction warranty.
- Enzyme-activated formula uses ammonia crystals to eliminate odors and stains.
- No chlorine or hazardous propellants.
- Some customers found the scent unpleasant and overwhelming.
- The formula is irritating for those with allergies.
|Unique Feature||Satisfaction guaranteed|
7. Nature's Miracle Advanced Deep Cleaning
Most Economical Carpet Cleaning Shampoo
Are you on the hunt for a budget-friendly cleaner that combines effectiveness and versatility? This formula penetrates deep inside the fabric to remove all fresh stains. It can be added to any vacuum carpet cleaner water tank when washing large areas.
It shouldn’t create an excessive amount of foam. So, if you’re looking to hand wash smaller surfaces, it’ll be easy to rinse.
This product also contains some active enzymes. Along with a deep clean, it should kill most bacteria, leaving a lingering and fresh citrus smell. Don’t forget to keep your bottle away from heat and freezing temperatures!
The bottle, however, doesn’t indicate dilution instructions. Without this information, it’s easy to pour too much or too little of the liquid. In response to a review, the manufacturer recommended adding six ounces of liquid for each gallon of water.
- Low foaming wetting agents make it a great option for hand-washing small areas.
- Contains active enzymes which kill bacteria and eliminate odors.
- Removes odors and leaves behind a fresh citrus scent.
- It is suitable for all vacuum carpet brands; simply add it to the water tank when cleaning.
- A little goes a long way, making this a budget-friendly option.
- Doesn’t clearly indicate dilution instructions.
- Requires appropriate storage.
- It doesn’t work well on old stains, just cleaning up fresh ones.
|Unique Feature||Active enzymes|
|Product||Best||Size||Surface Area||Weight||Dilution Required||Unique Feature|
|Bissell 78H63 Deep Clean Pro 2X||For a Deep Clean||48 oz||Large surface||3.5 lbs||Yes||More concentrated, Scotchguard technology|
|Biokleen Bac-Out Stain+Odor Remover||Eco-Friendly Solution||128 oz||Large surface||8.8 lbs||No||Made from living organisms, no animal testing|
|Bissell Pet Urine Eliminator||For Pets||48 oz||Large||3.5 lbs||Yes||Febreze-added scent, more concentrated|
|Carbona 2-In-1 Carpet Cleaner||For Hand Wash||27.5 oz||Small||4.27 lbs||No||Included brush|
|Shout Carpet Cleaning Foam||Convenient Application||22 oz||Carpet & upholstery||1.38 lbs||No||Easy spray application|
|Rocco & Roxie Professional||Spot Remover||32 oz||Small||2.3 pounds||No||Satisfaction guaranteed|
|Nature’s Miracle Deep Cleaning||Economical||64 oz||All||4.4 lbs||Yes||Active enzymes|
Common Application Methods
You can use the best carpet cleaning shampoos and solutions in various ways. From effortless techniques to intense workout cleaning sessions, there should be a method suited to you.
Whichever approach you plan to use, here are a few essential guidelines before you start:
- Remove furniture before cleaning large surfaces.
- Vacuum the area first.
- Pre-treat tough stains.
- Avoid mixing solutions from different brands.
Keep In Mind
1. Vacuum Cleaner
The easiest and most efficient way to wash your flooring is by using a vacuum shampoo carpet cleaner. These devices are generally upright models and include attachments to spot-clean or cover smaller surfaces such as upholstery.
They usually come with a floor head built with rotating brushes designed to shake and detach dirt. The best devices provide a deep clean, following these steps:
- Dilute: Pour the solution into the transparent water tank.
- Clean: The liquid gets injected inside the fabric and vacuumed back into the device but inside a separate tank.
- Rinse: To remove the shampoo, fill the clean tank with water and repeat the process.
- Vacuum: Remove water and moisture to finish the process.
2. Hand Wash
Elbow grease might be enough if you’re not looking to invest in a heavy-duty vacuum. You’ll only need a brush and dry cloth or towel to dry the area for this method.
Keep in mind that this technique requires serious effort to wash, rinse and dry the area. Some solutions come with an included brush, making the process easier.
3. Spot Clean
Cleaning an entire surface isn’t always necessary. For localized stains, spot cleaning should be enough.
- Spot test: Before using the product for the first time, try it under a rug or furniture. If it leaves a mark, do not proceed further.
- Pre-wash: Try to remove as much of the stain as you can with a cloth. Pad over the stain — never rub.
- Spray: Apply the spray over the stain.
- Let it soak: Leave it for five minutes. Formulas containing active enzymes may require more time.
- Rinse: With a clean and wet cloth, remove the solution by padding it.
- Air dry: Allow the area to dry thoroughly for two hours.
Get Your Clean On
Selecting the best solution for your carpet will rely primarily on two factors. First, determine whether you’re planning on washing your entire home, a large carpeted area, or a small stain.
Then, evaluate if chemical cleaners would be an option in your home or if you’d prefer naturally-based products. Ultimately, the more often you shampoo your carpet, the less effort it requires.
We hope this comprehensive guide and the reviews of the best carpet cleaning shampoos and solutions have been helpful. Out of these seven solutions, we’re sure you’ll find the right one for you.