Damaged hardwood floors are a tragedy that no homeowner should ever have to deal with.
So how do you make sure that you’re cleaning your hardwood floors appropriately? If you’re using water or generic detergents, you could be contributing to the problem.
We found the seven best hardwood floor cleaning solutions so that you don’t have to worry. Our quick and easy guide will show you how to restore your floors to their pristine condition and keep them that way.
- Cruelty-free and plant-based
- Good for laminate flooring
- Multi-purpose for hard surfaces
- Kills bacteria and viruses
- Certified green alternative to harsh substances
- Quick drying
- Removes more than 93.3% of allergens
- Great for all unwaxed wood floors
- Free of dyes and scents
- Dermatologists & pediatrician-approved formula
- No harsh chemicals
- Preserves natural sheen of wood
- Pleasant and refreshing scent
- Ready to use
- Value for money
- Convenient spray bottle
- Excellent for daily use
Let your floors sparkle and shine with these seven cleaners.
1. Method Squirt + Mop Wood Floor Cleaner
Best Cleaning Solution for Sealed Wood Floors
This product is a favorite for hardwood floors because it’s suitable for sealed wood.
It’s particularly popular because it is plant-based and environmentally friendly. Each of its components is non-toxic and biodegradable.
All you have to do is squirt some onto your floor and mop it up. There’s no need to rinse or pre-treat your floors, so this saves you time and effort.
An added benefit is the convenient packaging so that you can use it as a spray bottle.
- Environmentally friendly — plant-based and cruelty-free.
- Non-toxic since it doesn’t have harmful additives.
- Good for laminate, wood, vinyl, tile, and linoleum flooring.
- If you like almond scents, then this product is for you.
- Easy to apply. Simply squirt and mop it up. No rinsing is required.
- Some customers experienced white residue or haze after cleaning.
- If you have dark floors, the haze it leaves behind is very obvious.
|Suitable for wax?||Yes|
|Features||Plant-based, cruelty-free, 100 percent recycled plastic packaging|
2. Lysol Clean and Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner
Best Floor Cleaning Solution for All Surfaces
We recommend this product if you’re a multi-tasker. You can use it to clean all of your hard surfaces, from tiles and wood floors to kitchen countertops.
On top of this, you can simply apply it directly to stains or dilute it in water for easier mopping.
It’s antibacterial and antiviral, killing almost 100 percent of germs, even when diluted. It works on grease and grime and removes odors too.
- Multi-purpose for hard surfaces, stubborn grit, grime, and grease.
- Cleans and sanitizes by killing bacteria and viruses.
- Deodorizes for a pleasant, fresher environment.
- One 40-ounce bottle makes 14 gallons of cleaner when diluted.
- Leaves behind a long-lasting fresh lemon scent.
- Some customers found their bottles leaked or didn’t have a safety seal.
- The smell isn’t as strong as some people would like.
|Suitable for wax?||No|
|Fragrance||Lemon and sunflower|
|Features||Sanitizes, deodorizes, suitable for all hard surfaces|
|Volume||40 ounces (pack of 3)|
3. Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner Spray
Best Cleaning Solution for Unwaxed Hardwood Floors
Here’s a hassle-free cleaner for you. It’s water-based, residue-free, and comes in a handy spray bottle for your convenience. Just spritz some onto your floors and then mop; there’s no need to mix, dilute or pre-treat with this cleaner.
This is best suited for all unwaxed wood floors.
We love that this product is certified and produces very few chemical emissions. As a result, it’s safe around pets and children and is deemed environmentally friendly.
- Water-based, so it won’t leave a residue on your finished wood floors.
- Certified as a green alternative to harsh substances and emits little gaseous chemical pollution.
- Consider this product if you have allergies or sensitivities (1).
- Comes in a handy spray bottle, making it ready-to-use.
- Formula is designed to remove dust, dirt, grime, and grease.
- It dries fast, so you don’t have to wait ages to go back into the room.
- While it is effective at cleaning, you won’t be able to polish your floors with this one.
- Customers found the spray bottle was flimsy and hard to use.
- It can be difficult to spread it around evenly with your mop.
|Suitable for wax?||No|
|Fragrance||Unscented or cedar wood|
|Features||Water-based, low VOC emission, ready-to-use spray|
4. Bona Free and Simple Hardwood Floor Cleaner
Best Hardwood Floor Cleaning Solution for Allergies
This cleaner stands out because its gentle formula is hypo-allergenic. It removes more than 93 percent of allergens and is free of toxic dyes and harsh odors.
Further, and as expected from Bona, it’s water-based. This means it dries fast, leaves no residue behind, and is safer for pets and kids.
You can use this on all unwaxed hardwood floors. Just spray it on and mop it up. It’s safe for the environment because it leaves a small chemical footprint, just like with our previous Bona selection.
- Removes more than 93.3 percent of allergens and is free of unnecessary chemical additives.
- Suitable for use on all unwaxed wood floors.
- No mixing or diluting and is packaged in a handy spray bottle.
- Hypoallergenic formula is kinder on people with allergies.
- Dries fast, which is great for kids and pets to get back to playing.
- May leave a slight residue.
|Suitable for wax?||No|
|Features||Water-based, low VOC emissions, spray bottle, hypo-allergenic, dye-free, scent-free|
5. Babyganics Multi Surface Cleaner
Best Child-Friendly Hardwood Floor Cleaning Solution
How about a cleaner that’s specially formulated to be child-friendly? Our kids are playing on the floor all day long, so it’s important we choose something that’s got them in mind.
This product from Babyganics is free from all harsh chemicals and fragrances.
It’s a multi-surface cleaner that you can use on vinyl, tiles, glass, stainless steel, granite, porcelain, or even walls and cabinets. What’s more, it’s plant-based and fragrance-free.
- Babyganics boasts that pediatricians and dermatologists approve of this formula.
- No harsh or toxic chemicals added to this cleaner.
- It cleans the floor, glass, and appliances, all with safe formula.
- Comes in a handy spray bottle, so it’s ready to use.
- This product isn’t tested on animals.
- Customers loved that it removed stubborn stains.
- More expensive than other products.
- The bottle tends to leak, which is inconvenient and messy.
|Suitable for wax?||Not specified|
|Features||Plant-based, glass and electronic cleaner compatible, scent-free,|
|Volume||32 ounces (pack of 3)|
6. Pledge Gentle Wood Floor Cleaner
Best Hardwood Cleaning Solution for Waxed Floors
If you have waxed wood floors, Pledge has a product for you. This cleaner won’t leave streaks or residue and is intended for sealed, finished surfaces.
As a solution that’s ready to use, there’s no extra hassle needed. Just squirt some onto your floors, and mop it up. Apply it directly to stains for extra power.
It’s designed to preserve your hardwood floor’s shine and freshen your home with a pleasant lemon scent. Pledge is a customer favorite, and it’s no surprise this product is so popular.
- Preserves the natural sheen of your finished and sealed wood.
- Apply it directly to your floors before you mop.
- The lemon scent of this product is pleasant and refreshing.
- Removes dirt and grime without leaving behind a residue.
- Fantastic at reviving floors that have started to look dull.
- A highly effective cleaner, but does contain some toxic components.
- Customers wish it left a more glossy shine.
|Suitable for wax?||Yes|
|Features||Ready to use, residue and streak-free|
|Volume||27 ounces (pack of 3)|
7. Orange Glo Hardwood Everyday Cleaner Spray
Best Cleaning Solution for A Shiny Hardwood Floor
This cleaner is engineered to strip away dirt, oil, and stains without affecting the sheen of your finished floors.
The formula is gentle enough for daily use and comes ready to use in a handy spray bottle.
It won’t leave any streaks or residue and doesn’t leave a glossy film on your floors. We recommend it if you’re looking to preserve your floor’s shine and condition.
- This formula attacks dirt while maintaining your floor’s finish.
- Convenient spray bottle saves time and is hassle-free.
- Excellent for daily use without wearing down your floors.
- Dries fast so you can get back to the room as soon as possible.
- It won’t dull down your floor even if you use it daily.
- Some buyers report faulty packaging.
|Suitable for wax?||Yes|
|Features||Ready to use, suitable for everyday use, residue, and streak-free|
|Volume||22 ounces (pack of 2)|
|Product||Best||Multi-purpose?||Suitable for wax?||Fragrance||Volume|
|Method Squirt + Mop Cleaner||For Wood Floors||No||Yes||Almond||25 ounces|
|Lysol Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface||For All Surfaces||Yes||No||Lemon and sunflower||40 ounces (pack of 3)|
|Bona Hardwood Floor Spray||For Unwaxed Floors||No||No||Original||32 ounces|
|Bona Free & Simple Cleaner||For Allergies||No||No||None||36 ounces|
|Babyganics Cleaner||Child-Friendly||Yes||Yes||None||32 ounces (pack of 3)|
|Pledge Gentle Cleaner||For Waxed Floors||No||Yes||Lemon||27 ounces (pack of 3)|
|Orange Glo Hardwood Spray||For Shine||No||Yes||Orange||22 ounces (pack of 2)|
Why Buy Hardwood Floor Cleaning Solutions?
Here’s the thing about hardwood floors: they accumulate a lot of dirt. Even if your floors look clean, there’s a good chance they’re harboring unseen germs. One study found that in high traffic areas, bacterial recontamination of hardwood floors occurred within an hour of deep cleaning (2).
How is that possible? Well, to put it simply, life happens. Your shoes and pets track dirt over your floors every time you walk on them.
Hardwood floor cleaners can help with this mess.
Consider these important features:
They Disinfect Your Floors
Most hardwood floor cleaning solutions will combat tough dirt and grime to kill germs and bacteria.
Water Doesn’t Cut It
Water isn’t anti-bacterial unless it’s at a searing 212 degrees Fahrenheit — so hot it will ruin your wood floors. Cleaning solutions, in comparison, work on dirt and germs. And, they still preserve the condition of your hardwood floor, no matter its style or material.
Detergents Cause Damage
Generic detergents aren’t made for floors. They could ruin or dull your wood. Many people use dish soap as an alternative to cleaning solutions, but we don’t recommend it. Dish soap and other detergents leave residue or trails that are tricky to remove.
A good cleaning solution can save you money and last a long time. You can easily find them in your department or hardware store. This is a cost-effective method of floor cleaning.
Your Floors Will Shine
Hardwood floor cleaners can polish, too. If your floors are dull from wear and tear, buying a good cleaner could restore their shine.
Things to Consider (Buying Guide)
Picking a hardwood floor cleaner is easy, but you don’t want to settle for the first one you find. Make sure you’re investing in a good product that will work for you by keeping the following in mind:
No More Hard Times
Cleaning your hardwood floors is effortless if you choose the right cleaner. It’s essential to choose the best hardwood floor cleaning solutions based on your floor finish. This is the best chance to get your flooring restored to its best condition, as well as sanitized and spotless.
Out of our seven guesses, we’re sure one of them has caught your eye. Whether you need something for shiny floors, something hypoallergenic, or multi-surface, we’ve brought you seven excellent options.