Cleaning a roof isn’t the easiest weekend chore. But the right product can make it a lot more feasible!
Check out this list of 10 of the best roof cleaners on the market. We created this list based on real customer reviews, expert advice, and our own insight. Whether you’ve got a rubber roof or are dealing with a moldy roof, there’s something for you here.
With one of these cleaners, you just may end up with the cleanest roof on the block.
- Cleans & degreases all washable surface
- Orally non-toxic & biodegradable
- Deodorizes surfaces & upholstery
- No scrubbing required
- Removes mold stains from most surfaces
- Works within seconds of application
- Up to 2000 square feet coverage
- Cleans mold, mildew, & algae stains
- Potent product requires no scrubbing
- Concentrated formula
- Can be used manually or with machine
- Non-corrosive for metal roofs
- Easy to use, no rinsing necessary
- Non-toxic & biodegradable formula
- Safe for all EPDM rubber roofs
- Professional strength
- Works on upholstery, grout, awnings, etc
- Unique triple-action formula
- Works with wind and rain
- Works on almost all outdoor surfaces
- Less toxic with no bleach
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Notice results in a couple of minutes
- Safe for most surfaces
- Cleans moss, mildew, mold, algae stain
- Apply to surface and leave
- Bleach-free formula
- Gentle without staining or bleaching
- Up to 10,000 square feet coverage
- Biodegradable, effective & fast-action
How to Choose the Best Roof Cleaners
There are dozens of roof cleaners available on the market. Here’s how to decide which is right for you.
First of all, make sure the cleaner you’re buying is suitable for your roof type. Some cleaners aren’t compatible with every type of material.
For instance, vinyl and rubber roofs are more vulnerable and aren’t usually compatible with heavy-duty chemical-based cleaners. Instead, you may want to look for an eco-friendly option with more natural ingredients.
However, other materials, like metal and slate, can usually handle stronger chemicals, including bleach. Always check the packaging description to ensure the cleaner is suitable for your roof’s material.
Next, you’ll want to check the product’s formula. Is it eco-friendly? Made with harsh cleaners? Bleach-based?
Eco-friendly cleaners are, of course, gentler and better for the environment. But bleach-based cleaners may be best for you if your roof is filthy. In fact, if there is a build-up of mold or mildew, you might be led to a bleach-based or chemical-based cleaner. This is often the only formula that can really bust that dirt away.
Value for Money
Consider how far a product is going to go. It’s all well and good buying a fairly priced cleaner, but if a little doesn’t go a long way, you may actually not be getting good value for your money.
Check the coverage of the product and how many coats it takes to deep clean the roof.
Concentrated formulas often go the furthest since you can dilute it and get more coverage.
Ease of Use
There are a few different factors that will determine how easy a product is to use.
First of all, if it comes in a spray bottle, it’s often easier to use off the bat since you can use it directly from the packaging.
Secondly, some have no-scrub formulas, which require a lot less work for you.
Lastly, consider how many steps it takes to use the product. The fewer the steps, the easier it will be to use overall.
One of the important factors is how well it works. The effectiveness can be measured by what the product is capable of doing. Many are general cleaners, while others specifically target tough stains like mold, mildew, discoloration, algae, and more.
Always check the customer reviews to decipher what real reviewers think of the product’s effectiveness.
Keep in mind that the most effective products might be the harshest. So if you’re not happy with chemical-based cleaners, you may be sacrificing some efficacy.
Lastly, consider your budget. Many roof cleaners have quite a high upfront cost, averaging between $20 and $60. You always want to check the cost per fluid ounce, which tells you what you’re paying per ounce. It’s often better to buy in bulk, so the cost per fluid ounce is lower.
That being said, there are still some great options under $20 that have a low cost per fluid ounce. That way, you’re still getting good value for money but not paying a ton upfront.
The Best Roof Cleaners of 2021
Get a clean roof with any of these 10 best roof cleaners.
1. Simple Green Industrial Cleaner/Degreaser
We love when our research takes us upon an eco-friendly cleaner that’s this effective. Hundreds of satisfied customers love the Simple Green Industrial Cleaner.
One of the greatest features of the cleaner is, of course, the non-toxic and biodegradable formula. It’s safe on multiple surfaces, especially compared to chemical-based cleaners. It’s non-abrasive, non-corrosive, and it’s also not flammable.
What surfaces, you ask? Any washable surface. Seriously. You can use this on countertops, roofs, floors, upholstery, sinks, carpets, and much more! You can even put it into cleaning machines like carpet extractors, pressure washers, steamers, floor scrubbers, and foamers.
This is a super versatile and handy product to have in the house.
What can it clean? Oils, grease, fluids, grime, residue, and more. It cleans, deodorizes, and degreases — all with eco-friendly ingredients.
Last but not least, a little goes a long way. It’s a cost-effective purchase. The price per fluid ounce is already really low. Plus, you can use this for most of your household cleaning, meaning you can cut back on buying a ton of different products. Win-win!
- Cleans and degreases all washable surfaces.
- You can use this by hand or put it into cleaning machines.
- Orally non-toxic and biodegradable.
- Deodorizes surfaces and upholstery.
- Doesn’t clean as well as some chemical-based cleaners.
|Roof Type||All washable surfaces|
|Formula||Non-toxic and biodegradable|
|Ease of Use||Heavy bottle, but can be used in machines|
2. RMR-86 Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
When you find a product that can be used for multiple purposes, it’s a happy day. This stain remover from RMR can be used indoors and outdoors, making it very versatile.
You can use it on pretty much all types of roofs, except metal. Plus, you can also use it on a huge variety of other surfaces, including bathrooms, concrete floors, decking, brick walls, grout, tiles, and much more.
Its main purpose is to remove mold and mildew stains. So wherever you find those, you can put this product to good use.
It also deodorizes surfaces. When you use this to clean shower curtains, kitchens, bathrooms, and other places that cling to bad smells, you’ll notice a massive difference in the musty, damp scents.
We also love how fast this works. It instantly gets to work on mold and mildew, and other stains. So if you’re looking for instant results, this is a product to try.
- No scrubbing required.
- Removes mold and mildew stains from most surfaces.
- Starts working within seconds of application.
- Deodorizes surfaces, too.
- Emits harsh fumes that many customers found irritating.
- Can leave streaks or strip paint if not washed off well.
|Roof Type||All except metal|
|Ease of Use||No scrubbing required; works in seconds|
3. Mold Armor E-Z House Wash Cleaner
If you’ve tried various products to get rid of those tough stains on your roof, and nothing works, we have a recommendation for you. This tough formula has been specially designed to clean mold, mildew, and algae and its stains with absolutely no scrubbing.
This bleach-based formula is suitable for vinyl, wood, aluminum, and concrete roofs. It’s also safe for painted decks, fences, and more! Due to the chemicals used in the formula, it is great for heavy and stubborn stains and your general dirt.
You can easily apply this to your roof with a roller, sponge, or sprayer. This makes it very easy to use depending on what tools you already have in your garage.
You can dilute the cleaner with water so that a little bit goes a lot further. Or you can use it at full strength, which is recommended for extreme stains and dirt. Whatever you choose to do, no scrubbing is necessary.
- Up to 2000 square feet coverage.
- Cleans mold, mildew, and algae stains.
- Suitable for a range of roof materials.
- Potent product requires no scrubbing.
- Some customers found using bleach worked just as well.
- It may require a second application on tough stains.
|Roof Type||Vinyl, wood, aluminum, concrete, and wood|
|Coverage||2000 square feet|
|Ease of Use||No scrubbing required|
|Quantity||One gallon — can be diluted|
4. Pro Purple Concentrated Cleaner & Degreaser
Lots of our recommendations are easy to use, but this one goes the extra mile. It comes with a spray bottle, so you can easily apply this to dirty areas. It also comes with a one-gallon refill so you can top up the spray bottle when it runs out.
This is a professional-grade cleaner that also degreases. So you can finally watch tough grease, stubborn grime, and other nasty stains fade away. It also works on various surfaces, including roofs, floors, walls, cars, machines, and more.
Good news for those of you with metal surfaces. It’s non-corrosive to metals! It’s also safe for use on plastic surfaces without degrading down the material.
We also love that you can use this manually or put it in a pressure washer, floor scrubber, dip tank, and other cleaning equipment. It’s a water-based cleaner without harsh solvents and chemicals, so it’s safe for these machines and various surfaces.
- Concentrated formula, so a little goes a long way.
- Can be used manually or in a cleaning machine.
- Great for tough grease and grime.
- Non-corrosive, perfect for metal roofs.
- Strong odor; you may want to wear a mask.
- May contain diethanolamine which may be cancerous (1).
|Roof Type||Most surfaces|
|Formula||Water-based, without harsh chemicals but may contain a carcinogenic ingredient|
|Ease of Use||Yes, comes with spray bottle|
|Quantity||One gallon concentrated|
5. Thetford Store Rubber Roof Cleaner
Rubber roofs should be cleaned with specific products to protect the vulnerable surface. This cleaner from Thetford Store is free of soapy surfactants and abrasive ingredients. Therefore, it completely protects your rubber roof while still making it super easy to clean. In fact, it also degreases!
All you need is water and a sponge mop, as well as this cleaner, and you’ll have a clean roof in as little as three easy steps. The recommended cleaning process is included with the product so you can get to work as soon as it arrives, with no confusion.
This cleaner is specifically designed for all EPDM rubber roofs, so keep that in mind before purchasing. That being said, it’s wonderful for grime and chalk build-up on roofs. Finally, say goodbye to that unsightly mess!
One more bit of good news: this formula is biodegradable!
Don’t let the cleaner run off the side of your roof; otherwise, you might get white streaks down the side of your house or RV.
- Easy to use, no rinsing necessary.
- Non-toxic and biodegradable formula.
- Safe for all EPDM rubber roofs.
- Residue can leave streaks on other surfaces.
- Customers found it time-consuming to use since you still need to scrub.
|Roof Type||EPDM Rubber|
|Formula||Non-toxic and biodegradable|
|Ease of Use||Three steps, no rinsing required|
6. Star Brite Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover
Mold and mildew can leave behind really unsightly stains. They often seem impossible to remove. That’s where Star Brite comes in.
This formula has been created to quickly blast away mold and mildew stains without the stress of intense scrubbing. Simply spray it on, wait for the stain to lift, then rinse the surface.
This product is made with a high-alkaline, triple-action formula and buffered bleach to remove mold and mildew stains. It also has chelating agents which lift old dirt. The surfactants then work to clean general grime and grease.
We also appreciate how versatile this product is. Whether you have fiberglass, wood, concrete, plastic, vinyl, or tile surfaces — this product is suitable. Basically, wherever you find mold and mildew, you can put Star Brite to the test.
Seriously. Look at these other surfaces where you can use this product. Try it out on vinyl cushions and upholstery. It also works on grout and tile. Use it for cleaning showers and baths. Put it to the test on gutters, awning, and sidings. It even works on boats and RVs!
- Professional strength for quick and effective cleaning.
- Works on upholstery, grout, awnings, and more surfaces.
- Unique triple-action formula for effectiveness.
- Works without intense scrubbing.
- Strong unpleasant odor.
- Made from sodium hypochlorite, a hazardous chemical.
|Roof Type||Fiberglass, wood, concrete, plastic, vinyl, or tile|
|Ease of Use||No scrubbing, but lots of rinsing required|
7. Wet and Forget Stain Remover
Trust us when we say that this roof cleaner from Wet and Forget provides incredible value for money.
First of all, it’s a two-pack of 0.5 gallons each. This one gallon total actually ends up making six gallons once diluted, and all for a seriously fair price! The cost per fluid ounce is enough to make your bank account very happy.
The product also has an unlimited shelf life. So you don’t need to rush to use it by a certain date.
It also covers up to 1,125 square feet per bottle. So these two bottles will go up to 2,250!
You can use this product on any outdoor surface. This includes roofs, patios, pool surrounds, driveways, sidewalks, astroturf, and much more. It’s suitable for various materials such as fiberglass, painted surfaces, ceramic, brick, stone, decks, canvas, asphalt, steel, shake, tile, clay, and more.
It’s been specially designed to remove tough stains without any rinsing required. Say goodbye to moss, mildew, algae, and mold stains, all thanks to a bleach-free formula. It can even protect your surface from future stains for up to one year!
- Works with wind and rain — simply wet the surface and walk away!
- Suitable for almost all outdoor surfaces.
- Works even on stubborn green and black stains.
- Less toxic, with no bleach in the formula.
- Should not be used near water and lakes.
- You don’t get immediate results; it works over time.
|Roof Type||Asphalt, steel, shake, tile, clay, and more|
|Coverage||1,125 sq feet per bottle|
|Ease of Use||Yes, wet surface and leave it|
|Quantity||One gallon — makes 6 gallons|
8. EcoClean Solutions Industrial Strength Gone
Looking for something that can really blast away all kinds of stubborn stains? Then check out this cleaner from EcoClean Solutions.
This is super strong because it removes mold, mildew, and algae stains in only a few minutes. And without any scrubbing! So not only is it super speedy to use, but it’s also super easy.
You can use this on roofs and kitchens, basements, attics, boats, and bathrooms. Think: a spotless sink, shower, toilet, tiles, driveways, and more. It really works on basically any surface!
All you need to do is spray the surface, let it dry and then rinse with water. If mold is weighing you down, this is a much cheaper option than getting a professional to remove the mold stains.
Keep in mind that despite the word “eco” being in the product name, this is not an eco product. This product includes bleach, a bleach stabilizer, and surfactants. However, it’s a heavy-duty cleaner that does its job.
Wear PPE, such as goggles and a mask, when using this product. Create good ventilation, and don’t get the product near your eyes or nose. Do not use on food prep surfaces.
- 60-day money-back guarantee.
- Notice results in only a couple of minutes.
- No scrubbing necessary.
- Safe for most surfaces.
- Chemical cleaner may be harsh, especially without PPE.
- Many customers found the sprayer head defective.
|Roof Type||Brick, concrete, wood, and more|
|Coverage||Up to 400 square feet|
|Ease of Use||Yes, spray, wait, then rinse|
9. Rust-Oleum Jomax Spray Once
If you’re on a budget, you can still get a sparkling clean roof. The Rust-Oleum Jomax is less than the average roof cleaner but still cheap per fluid ounce. So you’re saving money upfront, but also in the long run!
Despite it being a budget option, it’s still an awesome cleaner. It’s formulated with a bleach-free recipe and yet, very powerful for removing tough stains. Simply spray it onto your chosen surface with a pump-up garden sprayer and leave it. Over time, natural weather conditions like wind and rain will work with the formula to clean the stains on your surface.
You heard us right! No scrubbing or rinsing is required. Just spray the surface and go about your business.
This is suitable for roofs, of course, as well as decks, fences, siding, patios, and much more. We love that this super-concentrated formula makes up to five gallons of a cleaner. This is enough to stretch up to 1,500 square feet.
- Removes moss, mildew, mold, and algae stains.
- Apply to surface and leave; no scrubbing or rinsing required.
- Bleach-free formula.
- Suitable for use on various outdoor surfaces.
- Pump-up garden sprayer required.
- It doesn’t deliver immediate results.
|Roof Type||Not specified — just claims “roofs”|
|Coverage||1500 square feet|
|Ease of Use||Yes, wet surface and leave it|
|Quantity||One gallon — makes 5 gallons|
10. Wash Safe Industries Exterior Surface Cleaner
Many roof cleaners are formulated with harsh chemicals, like bleach, because it’s effective on tough grease and grime. But if you don’t have mold, mildew, and other stubborn stains, and you want to avoid harsh chemicals, check out this roof cleaner.
It’s made without harsh chemicals or toxic ingredients. The main active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide, which is safer to use. Your surrounding greenery, grass, and plants will be much happier since this formula will not damage them.
If you’re a fan of oxygen bleach, then this functions quite similarly. Another great thing is that it’s biodegradable. In fact, after 4-6 hours of being in contact with a surface, it already begins this biodegrading process!
Combine this product with pressure washing, and you’re in for super-powerful clean, and impressive results! Simply spray on the cleaner and rinse off.
Use it on asphalt, cedar, slate, tile, vinyl, and brick roofs. So if that sounds like your roof, you’re in luck!
- Gentle on surfaces without staining or bleaching.
- Up to 10,000 square feet coverage.
- Biodegradable, starts breaking down hours after application.
- Works for asphalt, cedar, slate, tile, and vinyl roofs.
- Leaves behind a hard-to-remove film on windows.
- Some customers weren’t impressed with the effectiveness.
|Roof Type||Slate, wood, vinyl, tile, brick, and cedar|
|Coverage||10,000 square feet|
|Ease of Use||Use with a pump-sprayer or pressure washer|
|Product||Best||Roof Type||Formula||Coverage||Ease of Use|
|Simple Green Industrial Cleaner||Best Eco-Friendly||All washable surfaces||Non-toxic & biodegradable||N/A||Heavy bottle, but can be used in machines|
|RMR-86 Instant Stain Remover||Best Versatile||All except metal||Bleach-based||N/A||No scrubbing required; works in seconds|
|Mold Armor E-Z House Wash||Best Bleach Based||Vinyl, wood, aluminum, concrete, & wood||Bleach-based||2000 square feet||No scrubbing required|
|Pro Purple Concentrated Cleaner||Best Easy-to-Use||Most surfaces||Water-based, without harsh chemicals but may contain a carcinogenic ingredient||N/A||Yes, comes with spray bottle|
|Thetford Rubber Roof Cleaner||Best for Rubber Roofs||EPDM Rubber||Non-toxic & biodegradable||N/A||Three steps, no rinsing required|
|Star Brite Mold & Mildew Remover||Best for Mold & Mildew||Fiberglass, wood, concrete, plastic, vinyl, or tile||Chemical, bleach-based||N/A||No scrubbing, but lots of rinsing required|
|Wet and Forget Stain Remover||Best Value Pick||Asphalt, steel, shake, tile, clay, & more||Not bleach-based||1,125 sq feet||Yes, wet surface & leave it|
|EcoClean Industrial Strength||Most Effective Roof Cleaner||Brick, concrete, wood, & more||Bleach-based||400 square feet||Yes, spray, wait, then rinse|
|Rust-Oleum Jomax Spray Once||Best Budget Cleaner||Not specified — just claims “roofs”||Not bleach-based||1500 square feet||Yes, wet surface & leave it|
|Wash Safe Exterior Surface Cleaner||Best Without Harsh Chemicals||Slate, wood, vinyl, tile, brick, & cedar||Non-toxic||10,000 square feet||Use with a pump-sprayer or pressure washer|
Roof Cleaning Tips
Now that you’ve chosen your preferred cleaner, here are some top tips for cleaning your roof.
- Remove debris before using a cleaner. Once you’ve removed debris, you can access the roof’s material and better target stains and dirt.
- Avoid walking on roofs when possible. Always try to use ladders and hoses instead.
- If you are walking on the roof, use proper safety gear that will protect you if you happen to fall.
- When spraying a roof, start at the highest point working your way down to the lowest. This ensures that any dirt running down is cleaned at the end.
- Use a trowel or stiff brush to remove moss and other build-up before using a cleaner.
- Regularly inspect your roof to check for damage and dirt. Clean when necessary, but at least yearly.
Roof Cleaner FAQs
Is Mold on Roof Dangerous?
Yes. The mold on roofs can actually get through the roof spores and into your home. This is especially bad for family members with allergies or asthma.
Mold can also get washed off during rain and end up on driveways or walkways before being tracked into the house. If you have mold on your roof, we recommend dealing with it immediately.
Does Vinegar Kill Moss on Roofs?
Yes, vinegar is acidic and can kill moss (2). But be careful, because it can also kill surrounding plants too.
Is Pressure Washing a Roof Bad?
Pressure washing can certainly damage a roof if done incorrectly. Always check with the pressure washer manufacturer about what kinds of materials it’s suitable for. For instance, many aren’t compatible with tiles.
On the other hand, always use a wide spray nozzle and a low PSI to ensure the integrity of your roof.
What Happens If You Don’t Clean Your Roof?
Here are some persuasive reasons why you’ll want to keep your roof clean:
- Algae, fungus, and moss will build up on your roof. This can attract bugs and other animals, as well as moisture.
- If you have a shingle or wood roof, neglecting your cleaning routine can easily lead to rot and damage.
- Mold and rot lead to excess moisture, which can result in a leaking roof.
- If the roof and gutters aren’t working properly, dirt and debris will fall off your roof and onto your driveway, walkway, and front lawn.
When in doubt about roof cleaning, hire a professional.