If your clothes are full of static and feel rough, one option to solve the problem is to use dryer sheets. While you can grab any old box of dryer sheets off the shelves, it might not have all the features you’d like.
In this list, you’ll find the best options if you’re looking for something natural, scented, unscented, for sensitive skin, for baby clothes, or something else.
We spent hours researching the dryer sheet market, real customer reviews, and expert advice. Based on our research and analysis, we put together a list of the 10 best dryer sheets that will soften and freshen your clothes.
- Neutralizes odors
- Repels lint & hair
- Ideal for sportswear
- Repels pet hair & lint
- Outdoor fresh scent
- Multi-purpose, including freshening cat litter box
- Can be paired with fabric softener
- Long lasting fresh scent
- Biodegradable cationic softeners
- Reduces static & wrinkles
- Can be placed in drawers & bags
- 97 percent natural ingredients
- Zero dyes & fragrance
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Free from fragrances & dyes
- Leaves no residue on clothes
- Reusable and compostible
- Free of dyes & fragrances
- No irritating residue
- Dermatologically tested
- Softens, freshens and dewrinkles
- Great for bags & drawers
- Beautiful & gentle scent
- Mostly plant-derived ingredients
- Five scent options
- Can be used 500 times
- Chemical-free and eco-friendly
- Safe for all fabric types
Review Methodology: At Oh So Spotless, we strive to provide you with the most reliable and accurate information on the best dryer sheets. Our hands-on experience, thorough research, and professional analysis are combined to evaluate products from a user’s perspective. We compare and rank dryer sheets based on criteria such as performance, scent, safety, and eco-friendliness. Our in-depth assessment highlights what sets each product apart from its competitors, while providing evidence to support our recommendations. We carefully examine factors like design choices, effectiveness in reducing static and softening clothes, and overall user satisfaction to ensure you make the most informed decision when choosing the perfect dryer sheet for your needs.
The Best Dryer Sheets of 2023
With hours of research into real customer reviews, expert advice, and studying our own habits, we put together a list of the best dryer sheets. We looked at each product’s purpose, formula, scent, and value.
Get ready to meet our top 10 dryer sheets!
Bounce Plus Febreze Dryer Sheets
Best for Tough Odors
Are stinky odors getting you down? Try the Bounce Plus Febreze dryer sheets!
These dryer sheets are motion-activated with Odor Defense Technology to fight bad smells, even from sportswear. So, your smelly and sweaty gym clothes will be fresh again.
In fact, it works by activating as you move. When you hit the treadmill and start to sweat, the technology has already started working to neutralize the odor.
Altogether, these sheets neutralize odors, soften clothes, stop static and eliminate wrinkles. But also — they’re great for repelling lint and hair. So when your clothes come out of the dryer, they’ll look better than ever.
- Neutralizes odors with motion-activated technology.
- Softens clothes, stops static, and eliminates wrinkles.
- Repels lint and hair.
- Ideal for sportswear.
- Not compostable.
- Not hypoallergenic or free from dyes or perfumes.
|Purpose||To fight odors, soften clothes, reduce static and wrinkles|
|Toxicity||It does contain dyes and fragrances, so might be irritating to people with sensitive skin, allergies, or asthma|
|No. of Sheets||240|
Bounce Fabric Softener and Dryer Sheets
Best for Pet Hair
The Bounce fabric softener and dryer sheets are the best option for pet hair. With its repellent properties to lint and hair, you can say goodbye to the pesky pet hair that clings to your clothing.
Customers praise this product for removing pet hair and fuzz from their clothes. It can be embarrassing going to work with your labrador’s hair stuck to your suit jacket. But now, that doesn’t need to be an issue.
Besides repelling hair, the sheets also control static cling and soften fabrics. They work in all kinds of dryers and are color-safe.
These sheets have an Outdoor Fresh scent. So when you open your tumble dryer, your clothes will smell like you dried them on a clothesline in the sunshine.
- Repels pet hair and lint.
- Controls static cling and softens fabrics.
- Outdoor Fresh scent.
- Great for multiple uses around the home, such as freshening up the cat litter box.
- Reduces wrinkles so you can cut down on ironing.
- Great value for money.
- Not an eco-friendly formula.
- Sheets get stuck together.
|Purpose||Repel hair and lint, reduce static cling and soften clothes|
|Toxicity||Moderate toxicity concern for people with asthma or respiratory problems (1)|
|No. of Sheets||240|
Downy Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets
Best for Static Cling
The Downy fabric softener dryer sheets are our top pick for removing static cling. Say goodbye to opening the tumble dryer and finding socks, lint, and other garments sticking together.
If you need even more static prevention, Downy recommends pairing the sheets with liquid fabric softener. But with these sheets used on their own, customers have high praise for their ability to obliterate static.
As well as reducing static, these dryer sheets also leave a long-lasting scent on your clothes. The scent is called April Fresh and is described as a strong floral fragrance.
Just keep in mind that April Fresh is made using synthetic fragrances, so there is a risk of skin allergies and respiratory effects (2).
- Reduces static cling well.
- Can be paired with fabric softener.
- Long-lasting April Fresh scent.
- Contains biodegradable cationic softeners.
- Includes artificial fragrances.
- Scent is overpowering for some.
|Purpose||To reduce static cling and wrinkles, and leave a scent|
|Eco-Friendly||It does include biodegradable softeners|
|Toxicity||Moderate concern for people with asthma (3)|
|No. of Sheets||240|
Snuggle Exhilarations Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets
The Snuggle Exhilarations fabric softener dryer sheets come in six different scents. These include:
- White lavender & sandalwood.
- Blue iris & bamboo silk.
- Lavender & vanilla orchid.
- Blue iris & ocean breeze.
- Island hibiscus & rainflower.
- Cherry blossom.
Don’t they all sound so lovely? With this wide range of choices, you’ll definitely find something you love. For something sweet, check out the white lavender & sandalwood; if you want something more refreshing, we recommend the island hibiscus & rainflower scent.
No matter what you choose, your laundry will smell beautiful. Just keep in mind that these products are made with synthetic fragrances, so they may not be best for sensitive skin.
The sheets, however, are effective for reducing static and wrinkles, as well as softening clothes and leaving a long-lasting scent.
- Six lovely scent options.
- Effectively reduces static and wrinkles.
- You can put them in drawers or bags to freshen up clothes.
- Budget-friendly price point.
- They provide long-lasting freshness.
- Work for standard and high-efficiency dryers.
- Made using synthetic fragrances.
- May not be best for sensitive skin.
|Purpose||Freshen clothes, soften, and reduce static and wrinkles|
|Toxicity||It does contain cationic softeners and artificial fragrance|
|No. of Sheets||105|
Seventh Generation Dryer Sheets, Free & Clear
Best Unscented Dryer Sheets
We recommend unscented products if you have sensitive skin, asthma, or allergies. The best dryer sheets for that purpose are the Seventh Generation Free & Clear dryer sheets.
They contain no dyes and fragrances, which are kind on sensitive skin. They’re hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested. Yet they’ll still leave your clothes soft, static-free, and cozy.
The ingredients are 97 percent plant-based. So you are choosing a more natural option when you go with Seventh Generation. Unfortunately, they’re not compostable, so do keep that in mind.
Customers love these dryer sheets for reducing static cling and encouraging clothes to be soft. In fact, if you live somewhere cold, these are amazing for making your favorite sweaters as cozy as possible.
- Ninety-seven percent natural ingredients.
- Zero dyes and fragrance suits sensitive skin.
- Reduces static cling and makes clothes soft.
- Hypoallergenic formula.
- Not compostable.
- Some customers find they get wadded up during the cycle.
|Purpose||Softens clothes and reduces static cling|
|Eco-Friendly||Recycled box, but the sheets aren’t compostable|
|Toxicity||Not toxic — proved to be hypoallergenic and don’t have dyes or fragrances|
|No. of Sheets||80|
Grab Green Natural Wet Dryer Sheets
Best Natural Dryer Sheets
The Grab Green natural wet dryer sheets are our top pick for a natural option. So, you can be kind to the environment and your health while still getting soft and static-free clothes.
These dryer sheets are free of fragrances and dyes. They leave no residue or wax on your clothes to make them soft and cozy.
These sheets are also reusable. Each sheet can be used twice, so they aren’t single-use. Once you’re finished, you can compost the sheets to be extra eco-friendly.
The ingredients are responsibly and sustainably harvested as well as being cruelty-free. They’re free from phosphates, phthalates, animal by-products, toxins, dyes, or masking agents.
Although they’re awesome in the dryer, they’re great for dusting, removing pet hair, and silencing squeaky shoes!
- Free from fragrances, dyes, phosphates, toxins, and masking agents.
- They leave no residue on clothes.
- Soften clothes and remove static.
- Great for dusting, removing pet hair and other household uses.
- You can use each sheet twice before composting.
- Made from naturally-derived plant-based ingredients.
- If re-using on a big load, it doesn’t work too well.
- They don’t remove wrinkles well.
|Purpose||To reduce static and soften clothes|
|No. of Sheets||192|
all Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets
Best for Sensitive Skin
If you have sensitive skin, finding laundry products that work for you can be challenging. But if you want soft, cozy, and static-free clothes, all Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets should be a winner.
These dryer sheets are free of irritating residue that other fabric softener sheets tend to leave on clothes. They’re hypoallergenic, free of dyes and perfumes, and recommended by dermatologists.
So, if you or anyone in your family has sensitive skin, join many happy customers by using the all Free & Clear fabric softener dryer sheets. They’ll leave your clothes soft, static- and wrinkle-free.
- Free of dyes and fragrances.
- Great for people with sensitive skin as they’re hypoallergenic.
- Dermatologically tested.
- Leave clothes soft, static- and wrinkle-free.
- They don’t leave behind irritating residue.
- Wears down the flame-resistant finish on garments.
- Not compostable.
- Quite pricey per sheet.
|Purpose||To reduce static, wrinkles and soften clothes with no effect on sensitive skin|
|Eco-Friendly||Yes apart from not being compostable|
|No. of Sheets||80|
Snuggle Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets
Best Budget Option
The Snuggle fabric softener dryer sheets are our top pick for those on a budget. For a very fair price, you can get 80 dryer sheets.
These sheets are designed to freshen and soften your clothes while reducing wrinkles and static. You can also toss them in your closet, gym bag, suitcase, and car to freshen them up.
This option is in a “Blue Sparkle” scent, a blend of white florals, green citrus, wood, and musk, for a fresh, clean, and long-lasting scent on your clothes.
- Budget-friendly price point per sheet.
- Softens, freshens, and reduces static cling and wrinkles.
- Good for putting in bags, drawers, and shoes to fight odors.
- Beautiful, gentle scent with long-lasting freshness.
- Suitable for standard and high-efficiency dryers.
- Wears down flame-resistant ability on garments.
- Hazardous if pets eat, lick, or even smell them too much.
|Purpose||Softens and freshens clothes, reduces static cling and wrinkles|
|Toxicity||There is a moderate concern about toxicity (4)|
|No. of Sheets||80|
Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Dryer Sheets
Best for Baby Clothes
Many parents like to make sure they’re using gentle products on their baby’s clothes. Babies have sensitive skin. Therefore, we recommend Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day dryer sheets.
These compostable dryer sheets are made from plant-derived ingredients. The scent is mainly made up of natural essential oils, though fragrance is listed as an ingredient, too. However, being made without parabens, phthalates, and artificial colors — this is a safe choice for baby clothes.
It comes in a sweet and charming honeysuckle scent which will be very gentle on your clean clothes. Finally, it includes 80 paper sheets, so it’s long-lasting and cost-effective.
- Made mainly from plant-derived ingredients.
- Eighty sheets included.
- Five scent options, including honeysuckle, lavender, and more.
- Compostable sheets.
- Soften and freshen clothes.
- Cruelty-free formula.
- Still includes artificial fragrance.
- Static cling is still an issue for many customers.
|Purpose||Softens and scents fabric|
|Eco-Friendly||Yes, and they are compostable|
|Toxicity||Mostly made of plant-derived ingredients but does include synthetic fragrances|
|No. of Sheets||80|
Purecosheet Reusable Dryer Sheets
Best for Allergies
If you have allergies, you might find that even hypoallergenic products still irritate your skin or trigger a reaction. To eliminate that possibility, we recommend Purecosheet dryer sheets.
These are reusable dryer sheets that can be used 500 times! So not only are you choosing a quality and safe product, you’re also saving money over time.
These sheets are chemical-free but can reduce static cling. They work quite like dryer balls but without the clunky noise that irritates many folks!
Unlike other dryer sheets, these can be used on any fabric, even microfiber. However, we do recommend air drying microfiber materials rather than tossing them in the machine.
Overall, if you have sensitive skin, allergies, or just want something unscented and reusable, this is the product for you.
- They can be used 500 times.
- Chemical-free and eco-friendly.
- Saves money over time.
- Reduces static cling and softens clothes.
- Safe for all fabric types.
- Safe for sensitive skin.
- They don’t remove static as effectively as conventional sheets.
- Transition period for many customers, but they get better over time.
|Purpose||Reduces static cling and softens clothes|
|Eco-Friendly||Yes, they can be reused 500 times|
|No. of Sheets||Two|
|Product||Best||Purpose||Eco-Friendly||No. of Sheets|
|Bounce Plus Febreze Dryer Sheets||For Tough Odors||To fight odors, soften clothes, reduce static & wrinkles||No||240|
|Bounce Fabric Softener & Dryer Sheets||For Pet Hair||Repel hair & lint, reduce static cling & soften clothes||No||240|
|Downy Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets||For Static Cling||To reduce static cling & wrinkles, & leave a scent||Yes||240|
|Snuggle Exhilarations Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets||Scent||Freshen clothes, soften, & reduce static & wrinkles||No||105|
|Seventh Generation Dryer Sheets, Free & Clear||Unscented Dryer Sheets||Softens clothes & reduces static cling||No||80|
|Grab Green Natural Wet Dryer Sheets||Natural Dryer Sheets||To reduce static & soften clothes||Yes||192|
|all Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets||For Sensitive Skin||To reduce static, wrinkles & soften clothes with no effect on sensitive skin||Yes||80|
|Snuggle Fabric Softener Dryer Sheets||Budget Option||Softens & freshens clothes, reduces static cling & wrinkles||No||80|
|Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Dryer Sheets||For Baby Clothes||Softens & scents fabric||Yes||80|
|Purecosheet Reusable Dryer Sheets||For Allergies||Reduces static cling & soften clothes||Yes||2|
Are Dryer Sheets Harmful?
Dryer sheets aren’t the best products for us or the environment.
First, most are disposable and single-use, so once they’ve been used, they go back into the environment. Thankfully, though, there are some compostable options on our list.
Secondly, dryer sheets contain harmful fragrance chemicals, quaternary ammonium compounds, and sometimes, acetone (5). These ingredients can trigger asthma attacks, dizzy spells, and headaches.
However, dryer sheets also have many benefits:
- They prevent static cling: Dryer sheets can reduce the amount of static cling and, therefore, dust, hair, and lint on your clothes.
- They make clothes smell good: Dryer sheets are often scented, which can leave a pleasing scent on your clothes.
- They soften your clothes: If you’re after lush, cozy clothes, dryer sheets can help. Many dryer sheets are made with fabric-softening agents, such as fatty acids (6).
- They’re versatile: Dryer sheets can be used outside the laundry room. They’re suitable for dusting, freshening drawers, cleaning an iron, and removing static in your hair.
It’s up to you whether or not you use dryer sheets, but keep the hazards in mind.
Which Is Better: Fabric Softener or Dryer Sheets?
Both essentially do the same thing: soften clothes, reduce static, and eliminate wrinkles. But they work a little differently.
Fabric softener is added to the wash cycle and mixed with water. Therefore, it might be able to distribute across the clothes better.
Dryer sheets are added directly into the drum with the clothes before the dryer cycle. The dryer’s heat melts down the stearic acids, coating the clothes and softening the fabric. Dryer sheets are also unsuitable for fabrics like microfiber, water-repellant clothes, or towels.
The main difference between these two products is how they’re used. It’s down to personal preference whether you use fabric softener or dryer sheets. But overall, dryer sheets are easier to use.
How To Choose the Best Dryer Sheets
When shopping for the best dryer sheets for your home, look at these important details.
Dryer Sheet Alternatives
If you don’t want to use dryer sheets because of their environmental or health impact, there are plenty of dryer sheet alternatives.
We recommend a few fantastic options instead of dryer sheets:
- Do nothing!: If you have soft water and use a natural detergent, you might find you don’t need dryer sheets or fabric softener.
- Air dry: Hang dry your clothes to air dry, and there’s no temptation to use dryer sheets.
- Vinegar: Soak a washcloth in distilled white vinegar and toss it into the tumble dryer with your clothes.
- Use dryer balls: Dryer balls are reusable, natural, and eco-friendly alternatives to dryer sheets. The Smart Sheep wool dryer balls are our top pick!
- Aluminum foil: Scrunch up a ball of aluminum foil and add it to the drum with your wet clothes before drying.
- DIY dryer sheets: You can also make your own dryer sheets with vinegar, flannel or cotton fabric, and essential oils.
Are Dryer Balls Bad for Your Dryer?
Nope! You’re good to go.
Because of the bouncing and banging of dryer balls, many people think they’re doing damage. But if your machine is less than 10 years old or doesn’t have paint inside the drum, dryer balls won’t do any damage.
Freshen and Soften
Dryer sheets are super helpful for freshening and softening your clothes. They can save you time when sorting out laundry because they reduce static. If you’re lucky, they’ll also reduce wrinkles — which means less ironing!
Stay alert regarding the toxic and environmental side effects of many dryer sheets. If you have sensitive skin, we recommend the Seventh Generation Free & Clear sheets, the Grab Green sheets, the all dryer sheets, or the Echo Beach tumbler sheets.
Our best pick for softening clothes and reducing static, however, is the Bounce Plus Febreze Dryer Sheets. This product can eliminate even the toughest of odors.