Many people opt to hang their clothes on clotheslines, especially during the warmer months. It’s an excellent way to save energy and money. But with hundreds of options on the market — how do you choose the best one?
We researched high and low, spending hours looking at each product’s purpose, ability, and special features. With a list of the 10 best clotheslines, you’ll find what you’re looking for. Whether you’re in the market for a travel option, something ceiling-mounted, or foldable — we have plenty of options to peruse.
Get ready to find a clothesline that will make air-drying your clothes easier than ever before!
- Lightweight & easy to carry
- Can be installed anywhere
- Travel must-have
- Durable stainless steel
- 27 sock clips
- Adjustable wings for large garments or sheets
- Easy to pull down & up
- Sturdy aluminum and steel material
- Comes with wheels
- Can be used indoors/outdoors
- Good airflow for quicker drying
- Reduces wrinkles on clothes
- Holds 60 pounds of laundry
- Mold and rot-resistant
- Weather-resistant and rust-proof
- 210 feet of space
- Rotates so you can easily hang clothes
- Easy to install anywhere
- Retractable and compact
- Adjustable length up to 40 feet
- Classy traditional appearance
- Sturdy, even on windy days
- Versatile and spacious design
- Easy to transport
- Resistant to warping & splintering
The Best Clotheslines of 2023
We’ve spent hours researching real customer reviews, expert advice, as well as applying our own insight. We have been using clotheslines for years, so we can confidently recommend these top 10 best clotheslines on the market!
Hawatour Portable Travel Elastic Clothesline
Best Travel Clothesline
When you’re traveling, camping, or sharing a communal garden — you’ll want to try the Hawatour portable travel clothesline. You can easily put this up and take it down as and when you need to use it.
This is a must-have for people who love traveling, camping, swimming, fishing, boating, canoeing, and other outdoor activities. You can hang it between trees to dry your clothes, socks, and swimwear.
What makes this travel clothesline so great is that it comes with movable stoppers and clothespins. You can position each clothespin so that it stays put. Your clothes won’t all fall into the middle. They stay nice and fresh, so they dry quickly and don’t get musty and smelly!
You can hang the clothesline anywhere! It comes with bungee stainless steel hooks. Just wrap it around a sturdy object, secure the hook and hang up the line.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- Clothes don’t fall into the middle.
- You can install it anywhere.
- Must-have for travelers.
- Stainless steel hooks and clothespins are durable and rust-resistant.
- Available in four color options.
- Only stretches 10 feet.
- Only has 12 clothespins, so you might need to buy a few.
|Material||Elastic and stainless steel|
|Length||Up to 10 feet|
|Versatility||Indoors and outdoors|
Songmics Foldable Clothes Drying Rack
Best Indoor Clothesline
If you don’t have a tumble dryer or just want to save energy but live in a rainy or humid place — you need to get an indoor clothesline. For this, we recommend the Songmics foldable clothes drying rack.
It folds up compactly, but when it’s open, it’s perfectly spacious! It has 33 rails over two tiers so that you can hang up all your clothes without anything overlapping.
Made from stainless steel, this durable clothesline can hold up to 77 pounds of clothes. It won’t get rusty, moldy, or mildewy — and it will last years.
Another feature: sock clips! There are 27 added sock clips on the ends of the clothesline wings so you can hang up your socks without them blowing away or falling off.
Lastly, the wings are adjustable. So if you have long towels or bed sheets, you can angle the wings, so the fabric doesn’t trail on the ground.
- Easy to open, close, and store.
- Durable stainless steel material is rust and mold-resistant.
- 27 included sock clips.
- Adjustable wings to air dry large garments or sheets.
- 33 rails over two tiers for quicker drying.
- Can hold up to 77 pounds of clothes.
- Takes up space when opened.
- Might be over budget.
- Many customers said the product arrived dented.
|Length||72 feet in total|
|Versatility||Indoors or outdoors|
Foxydry Extendable Ceiling Mounted Drying Rack
Best Ceiling Mounted Clothesline
Want to save space, have a statement clothesline and make drying clothes a little bit fun? Then you should check out the Foxydry extendable ceiling-mounted drying rack.
This is a great way to use every inch of space in your home. Simply use the pulley system to pull down the clothesline.
Hang your clothes on it before pulling it back up out of the way. Make use of vertical space and get the clothes out of the way of your everyday activities.
The rack is definitely a space saver. It comprises eight drying rails that accommodate almost 12 meters of drying area. So you can widen it for larger items like sheets or towels.
It’s made from aluminum and steel, so it’s sturdy. But if you exceed the 22-pound weight limit, you might have issues. This can be a hazard since it could fall from the pulley system.
- Saves space since it descends from the ceiling.
- Easy to pull down and up.
- Reliable and sturdy aluminum and steel material.
- Works in any room.
- Up to 39 feet of drying space.
- It can hold up to 22 pounds of laundry.
- Safety hazard if it falls.
- A challenge to install.
- Very expensive.
|Material||Aluminum and steel wood|
|Length||39 feet in total|
Home Solution 2-Tier Clothes Drying Rack
Best Two-Tiered Clothesline
The Home Solution 2-Tier clothes drying rack is handy if you want two levels. It also saves more space than a multi-tier drying rack. Plus, it provides better airflow.
The way this works is you hang your clothes on hangers, then attach the hangers to the arms. Then your clothes dry in their natural position without folds or bumps ingrained into them. This method reduces wrinkles, too!
You can also use this clothesline for ironing. When you’ve ironed a shirt, keep this clothesline nearby, hang it up, and let it completely cool wrinkle-free!
It’s also a great wardrobe replacement if you’re waiting on a new wardrobe. You can also take this with you in your camper or RV to store your clothes.
- On wheels for portability.
- It can be used indoors or outdoors.
- It can hold up to 65 pounds of laundry.
- Provides good airflow for quicker drying.
- Included clips for socks and underwear.
- Can hold up to 60 garments plus 60 small items.
- Might topple over if weight isn’t distributed evenly.
- Lightweight and flimsy construction.
|Material||Stainless steel and plastic|
|Versatility||Indoors or outdoors|
Aero W Wall Mounted Laundry Rack
Best Wall-Mounted Clothesline
Low on space? Opt for the Aero W wall-mounted laundry rack. You can easily install this drying rack indoors or outdoors to save space but still dry your clothes the eco-friendly way.
This clothesline will lower your energy bill and reduce wrinkles on clothes since they’re not tossed around in a dryer.
Although this is a very compact product, it still provides a total of 22 feet of space. And it can hold up to 60 pounds of laundry.
It’s stainless steel, so it’s super durable and weather resistant. Whether you’re hanging up wet jeans or just socks — this laundry rack can handle the job.
It’s also great for organization. You can use it for hanging towels or outfits for the next day. It keeps the home a little tidier.
- Reduces wrinkles and energy bills.
- 22 feet of space.
- Holds 60 pounds of laundry.
- Weather-resistant, so you can use it indoors or out.
- Helps you organize your clothes better.
- Poor mounting materials included.
- It doesn’t expand very far, so clothes don’t have much airflow.
- High price point.
|Length||22 feet in total|
|Versatility||Indoors or outdoors|
Ram-Pro 80 ft. All-Purpose Rope
Best Clothesline Rope
Many people opt for a rope clothesline because it’s strong, durable, and can be used for many purposes. The Ram-Pro all-purpose rope is no exception! You can use it as a clothesline but also for climbing, crafts, a jump rope, pool safety, and other purposes.
As a clothesline, though, it’s a great rope. It withstands weather damage and most chemical exposures, such as petrol, rot, and mildew.
It’s a very durable option. It doesn’t lose strength when it gets wet and isn’t likely to sag, depending on how tight you tie it.
The rope is 80 feet long, which is probably too long for most gardens and homes. But it’s easily cut up into smaller pieces. You could even install a clothesline inside and outside the home!
- All-purpose — use it for laundry, climbing, a jump rope, and more.
- Weather-resistant, so you can hang it outside.
- Mold- and rot-resistant.
- Unlikely to sag.
- Generous 80 feet of space.
- It can hold up to 220 pounds.
- Chemically treated so that it might be harmful.
- Some customers reported that it frayed.
|Versatility||Indoors and outdoors, all-purpose|
Household Essentials Umbrella Drying Rack
Best Umbrella Clothesline
Umbrella clotheslines are more popular in the UK. Most gardens have one (including us!) — and for a good reason. They’re super practical, don’t take up much space, and are weather-resistant.
If you’re in the market for one of these, we recommend the Household Essentials Umbrella drying rack.
It has 30 vinyl lines for your laundry, totaling 210 feet of space! You can easily hang your clothes since the umbrella rotates. So you don’t need to keep moving around with your heavy basket of wet clothes to hang up the laundry.
You can close it up again when you’re not using it, so it takes up minimal space in your yard.
Just keep in mind that it needs to be installed in concrete. This protects your garden and the drying rack. You also need to use a ground sleeve so you can remove the drying rack during bad weather.
- Weather-resistant and rust-proof.
- 210 feet of space and 30 lines.
- Rotates so you can easily hang your laundry.
- Sturdy aluminum and steel construction.
- Opens and closes in one action.
- Lines need to be redistributed often.
- Ground sleeve not included.
- Must be installed into concrete.
|Material||Aluminum, steel, and plastic|
|Versatility||Outdoors on concrete only|
Riveda Retractable Clothesline
Best Retractable Clothesline
Secure the Riveda retractable clothesline to a wall, indoors or outdoors, and hang up your clothes! When it’s not in use, it retracts into the body of the product, so it doesn’t take up much space at all.
It can handle loads up to 30 pounds in weight; the line is 40 feet long! It’s super easy to use. When you’ve reached the desired length, you can lock the clothesline into place, pull it tight, and hang up your laundry.
The line and case are made from heat and crack-resistant plastic. It’s sturdy, durable, and won’t rust.
It only takes a couple of minutes to install. You can do so in your kitchen, on the balcony, in the garden, or on your commercial property! One more thing: it comes with 12 clothespins!
- Easy to install anywhere.
- Retractable, so it doesn’t take up much space.
- Adjustable length up to 40 feet.
- Affordable price point.
- It can handle up to 30 pounds of clothing.
- The line sags if laundry is too heavy.
- Low-quality materials used.
|Length||Up to 40 feet|
|Versatility||Indoors and outdoors|
Household Essentials Outdoor Clothesline
Best T-Post Clothesline
If you buy a rope line or elastic line, you need somewhere to hang it. The Household Essential outdoor clothesline is a traditional t-post where you can hang up your line and then your laundry.
Keep in mind it only comes with one post — so you might need to order an extra one. Plus, it doesn’t come with a line to hang clothes. You’ll need to buy that separately.
This nice white t-post will look traditional and classy in your yard. It’s rust-resistant so you can use this in all weather for a long time. Once installed in concrete, it’s sturdy and won’t blow over on windy days.
Our top tip is to buy this and the Ram-Pro 80 ft. All-Purpose Rope — that makes a great combination!
- Classy traditional appearance.
- Sturdy and secure, even on windy days.
- Rust-resistant, so it’s suitable for all weather.
- Quick and easy to install.
- 1-year warranty included.
- Hooks for five different lines.
- Hard to get the t-post even.
- Only one post included, and no line.
|Length||86” tall, enough for five clotheslines|
Home-it Bamboo Clothes Drying Rack
Best Foldable Clothesline
We recommend a foldable clothesline if you live in a small space, dorms, or an apartment. The Home-it bamboo clothes drying rack is the perfect solution. It’s not too big, but when it’s not in use, fold it up and slot it away in a cupboard.
It’s portable, easy to use, and can be installed anywhere. We recommend keeping it in a bright warm room with good circulation and dry air.
This rack has a versatile design. The top tier is flat with four bars, so you can fold clothes over the bars or lay them flat. There are more tiers below to keep your clothes separate and well-ventilated for quicker drying results.
Lastly, the wood is bamboo. It’s resistant to warping and splintering, but if you don’t keep it clean and dry, it might start to mold.
- Foldable design makes for practical storage.
- Easy to transport.
- Versatile and spacious design.
- Resistant to warping and splintering.
- Versatile design for folding clothes over bars or laying flat.
- Will mold if not kept clean and dry.
- The finish wears off quickly and might stain clothes.
|Length||27 feet in total|
|Versatility||Indoors or outdoors (but not in rain)|
|Hawatour Portable Elastic Clothesline||Travel Clothesline||Elastic & stainless steel||10 feet||Yes||Yes||Indoors/ outdoors|
|Songmics Foldable Drying Rack||Indoor Clothesline||Stainless steel||72 feet||Yes||Yes||Indoors/ outdoors|
|Foxydry Ceiling Mounted Drying Rack||Ceiling Mounted Clothesline||Aluminum & steel||39 feet||Yes||Yes||Indoors|
|Home Solution 2-Tier Clothes Drying Rack||Two-Tiered Clothesline||Stainless steel & plastic||60 hooks||No||Yes||Indoors/ outdoors|
|Aero W Wall Mounted Laundry Rack||Wall-Mounted Clothesline||Stainless steel||22 feet||Yes||Yes||Indoors/ outdoors|
|Ram-Pro 80 ft. All-Purpose Rope||Clothesline Rope||Polypropylene rope||80 feet||Yes||Yes||Indoors/ outdoors|
|Household Essentials Drying Rack||Umbrella Clothesline||Aluminum, steel & plastic||210 feet||Yes||Yes||Outdoors|
|Riveda Retractable Clothesline||Retractable Clothesline||Plastic||40 feet||Yes||Yes||Indoors/ outdoors|
|Household Essentials Clothesline||T-Post Clothesline||Galvanized steel||86 inch||Yes||Yes||Outdoors|
|Home-it Bamboo Clothes Drying Rack||Foldable Clothesline||Bamboo||27 feet||Yes||No||Indoors/ outdoors|
Is It Better To Dry Clothes Inside or Outside?
If you want to dry your clothes quicker, we recommend hanging them outside on a warm sunny day. Even if it’s a cold day, as long as the sun is shining, they’ll likely dry much faster than inside. When clothes dry promptly, they’re less likely to smell musty and damp.
However, if it’s humid or rainy outside, it’s better to dry the clothes inside, where they will dry more quickly, even if the room is dry and cold (1).
Does Hanging Clothes Outside Kill Germs?
Yes — the ultraviolet rays can help to kill germs on your clothes. The rays can act as a disinfectant, but note that they won’t kill all germs and viruses (3).
Keep in mind that air drying your clothes outdoors could worsen your allergies or asthma if you live in an area with high air pollution or pollen count.
How To Choose the Best Clothesline
Consider these important details when shopping to discover which clothesline suits you best.