You don’t want to leave your dirty clothes lying on the ground. It’s not a good idea to leave them inside the washing machine for days before you finally start the cycle, either. So, it’s time to invest in one of the best laundry baskets and hampers.
We’ve looked at dozens of laundry baskets and hampers. Applying our own insight and experience, as well as researching real customer reviews, we’re confident in our 15 choices.
- Fits in cabinets
- Maximizes space
- Large capacity
- Locked drawstring
- Machine washable
- Three compartments
- Large capacity
- Collapsible mesh fabric
- Sturdy material
- Good portability
- Good for small spaces
- Removable bag
- Good ventilation
- Doubles as a hamper
- Large capacity
- Has wheels
- Has a lid
- Two compartments
- Removable laundry bags
The Best Laundry Basket & Hampers of 2022
To narrow it down to 15 laundry baskets and hampers, we studied each product. We looked at the material, the size, what it’s best for, its portability, and its durability.
We’ve done the research, read the reviews, and gathered a great list ranking the best laundry baskets and hampers. Now that the hard part’s done, here are our picks.
1. Rev-A-Shelf Pullout Cabinet Laundry Hamper
Best Pullout Laundry Basket
When freeing up some space in your laundry room, you might consider a laundry basket that fits inside a cabinet. The Rev-A-Shelf Pullout Cabinet Laundry Hamper is a top choice because it easily slides in and out of your cabinet.
This says it’s for 14-inch openings, but customers have used this item for many different sizes of cabinets.
- Fits in cabinets, saving you space.
- Durable plated wire construction.
- Can hold 100 pounds worth of clothes.
- Easy to install with the 4-screw method.
- You can use the tray to hold other items, such as pet food.
- It won’t fit in every cabinet.
- Very expensive, up to 10 times more than other options.
- Door mount kit is sold separately.
|Material||Wire and cloth|
|Size||18 x 14.75 x 19.38 inches|
|Special function||Slides in and out of cabinets|
2. Homest 2 Pack Travel Laundry Bag
Best for Travelling
The Homest travel laundry bag is great for travelers. It comes with two bags, one for you and your travel buddy.
Each bag can hold up to four loads of laundry. The quality is durable, so you don’t need to worry about your bags ripping during your travels. The drawstring even locks, so your clothes won’t spill out while you’re on the move.
You can also wash these bags in a washing machine! Wash this every time you empty it to keep it really clean.
- Large capacity, can hold four loads of laundry.
- Locked drawstring keeps garments secure.
- Good for traveling.
- Can go in the washing machine.
- Rip-proof thanks to double-needle stitching.
- You can use it to store other items, including fishing gear.
- Doesn’t stand upright on its own.
- No handles, so not the easiest to transport.
- Much bigger than expected.
|Size||27.9 x 0.1 x 39.8 inches|
|Special function||Locked drawstring|
3. CleverMade Collapsible Laundry Tote
Best Foldable Laundry Basket
This laundry basket is perfect for travelers, those washing clothes in communal places, and people who live in smaller homes.
It folds up to a very small size so you can put it in drawers, your suitcase, and cupboards. Users of this laundry basket commend it for its spacious size and practicality.
Although this basket folds up really small, it’s big when it’s open. Plus, it stays upright by itself, so it doesn’t fall over when trying to remove the clothes.
- Foldable design making it easy to store.
- Compact enough to keep in your suitcase.
- Spacious when open so you can store two loads of laundry.
- Quickly pops open and is easy to fold.
- Includes steel rim, so it stays open.
- The handles are short, so it’s difficult to carry.
- Some customers noted that it collapsed in on itself too much.
- More expensive than similar items available.
|Size||21 x 13 x 18.25 inches|
4. Oceanstar Bamboo 3-Bag Laundry Sorter
Best Laundry Basket With Compartments
We love the Oceanstart 3-Bag Laundry Sorter because it has three brilliant compartments. If you have multiple members in your family, then this is a top feature.
Now you can sort clothes by colors or by fabrics. This is a must-have, especially if you prioritize style in your home. This laundry hamper has a sleek, trendy look and will suit most interior styles.
- Three compartments for sorting laundry.
- Stylish design suits most homes.
- Sturdy frame construction lasts a while.
- The bags are removable for sorting or washing.
- Rubber feet protect your floors.
- The compartments are quite small.
- Assembly required upon arrival.
- The seams split if you load too much laundry into the bags.
|Material||Polyester and bamboo|
|Size||29.75 x 27 x 19.1 inches|
|Special function||Three compartments|
5. Storage Maniac Hanging Laundry Hamper
Best for Small Spaces
The Storage Maniac hanging laundry hamper can slot right into your wardrobe, so you don’t use any more floor space.
Each purchase comes with two bags holding two to three loads of laundry. Plus, it requires no tools for assembly.
The breathable mesh gives these laundry bags great ventilation to prevent mold.
- Hangs up so you can save floor space.
- Large capacity for two to three loads.
- No tool assembly required.
- Great ventilation to prevent mold and mildew.
- Works as a laundry hamper or storage.
- Customer complaints of mesh tearing.
- The hangers included aren’t strong enough.
|Material||Mesh and polyester canvas|
|Size||13.2 x 1.9 x 17 inches|
|Special function||Hangs up, mesh material|
6. Mind Reader 60HAMP-IVO Laundry Basket
The Mind Reader Laundry Basket is sturdy, durable, and has a large capacity. This is a simple solution to laundry.
If you have heavier clothes, such as your work gear, you’ll need a sturdy laundry basket that doesn’t fall over. This one can do the trick.
This basket holds up to 60 liters but is also slim. It’s a good space saver while also being a practical hamper. Perhaps not for big families, though.
This hamper has handles, too. So whether you go to the laundromat or just move around the house, this has excellent portability.
- Sturdy plastic wicker material.
- Good portability, thanks to the handles.
- Good for small spaces due to slim design.
- It can hold multiple loads of laundry at once.
- Ventilated design ensures good circulation for clothes.
- Too small for large families or people sharing a hamper.
- It’s not super comfortable to carry.
- The lid doesn’t fit properly or may break after a few weeks.
|Size||10.1 x 14.2 x 24 inches|
7. Hosroome Laundry Basket with Removable Bag
Includes Removable Bags
Removable bags are a great feature to have in any laundry basket. If that’s your priority, then the HORSROOME laundry basket is a wonderful choice.
The removable mesh bag makes it easy to transport your clothes to the laundry room. This choice also has great ventilation to prevent mold, mildew, and water buildup.
If you’re on the move a lot, this laundry hamper is also collapsible. You can store it under the bed, in the closet, or in your car when you’re not using it.
- Removable bag makes for easy portability.
- Good ventilation to prevent mold.
- Collapsible design for easy storage.
- Velcro lid prevents spills and keeps out curious pets.
- Small capacity isn’t suitable for large families.
- Only comes with one bag.
- The unit collapses if it’s too full.
|Size||10.1 x 14.2 x 24 inches|
8. Laundry Bag Backpack
Best Laundry Basket for Laundromat
Having a local laundromat is awesome, but lugging your loads of laundry around isn’t. Thankfully, the Laundry Bag Backpack can help. This is the best invention for those who go in and out of laundromats because you can wear it as a backpack.
You can also use this as a hamper. Keep it in your bedroom and toss your clothes in when they’re dirty.
On laundry day, pull the drawstrings and go to the laundromat. This bag can carry up to two loads of laundry at a time.
- Portable as a backpack.
- Doubles as a hamper.
- Holds two loads of laundry.
- Durable, water-resistant material.
- Top expands open so you can add and remove laundry easily.
- No compartments.
- Doesn’t stand up by itself.
|Material||Polyester and polyester blend|
|Size||11.2 x 10.4 x 1.3 inches|
|Special function||Serves as a backpack|
9. Portable Laundry Hamper With Wheels
Best Laundry Hamper With Wheels
So, you want something with wheels. We get it; that’s a super practical thing to have on your hamper. Push it around your house, picking up dirty clothes as you go.
Well, no need to look further than the mDesign portable laundry hamper with wheels.
This aesthetic laundry hamper also has a lid and good capacity, and it collapses when you’re not using it. What could be better?
- It has wheels for easy maneuverability.
- Collapsible design makes it easy to store.
- Spacious enough for one load of laundry.
- Attached lid contains odors and keeps pets out.
- You can also store toys, blankets, and more.
- Hard to move when it’s empty.
- On the flimsy side.
|Size||17 x 13.8 x 4.6 inches|
|Special function||On wheels, collapsible|
10. Simplehouseware Double Laundry Hamper With Lid
Best Laundry Hamper With Lid
This Simpehouseware laundry hamper traps bad odors and has two compartments. This is a fantastic hamper if you’re like us and love separating colors.
The inside bags are also removable, so you can easily transport your laundry from room to room. They can also be washed in your machine.
This hamper comes in various colors, so you can find the right one for your style. This includes grey, beige, turquoise, and more.
- It has a lid to keep odors inside.
- Two compartments for separating colors.
- Removable bags so you can transport laundry.
- Available in eight colors.
- Compact enough to fit in most closets or bathrooms.
- Flimsy material wears down quickly.
- Bags are attached by Velcro, and they come loose often.
- Extra fabric at the bottom, which is unsightly.
|Size||17.4 x 13.7 x 2.9 inches|
|Special function||Lid, two compartments, removable laundry bags|
11. DokeHome Round Collapsible Storage Basket
Best for Kids
Getting your child a DOKEHOME Round Collapsible Storage Basket might be the right first step to them doing their own laundry. These handy dandy baskets come in seven different designs that are pleasing to the adult eye.
They also come with a great drawstring feature so that your kid’s dirty school clothes don’t stink out your home.
Just be careful of mold. The waterproof fabric is thick, so it doesn’t have great ventilation.
- Nice designs and seven options.
- Drawstring top keeps odors at bay.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Freestanding and won’t topple over.
- Collapsible design makes it easy to store.
- Poor ventilation, so it isn’t great for wet clothes.
- Small capacity isn’t enough for adult clothes.
|Material||Cotton with waterproof lining|
|Size||13.7 x 13.7 x 17.7 inches|
12. Like-It SCB-7 Portable Laundry Basket
Budget-Friendly Laundry Basket
It’s surprising how expensive laundry baskets can be! If you’re on a budget, this option should suit you. At its modest price, it’s still a practical laundry basket to have.
Simply pop your dirty, clean, dry, wet clothes in this basket, and it will do the trick. These plastic baskets are sturdy — great for heavy or light loads.
- Affordable price point compared to other plastic baskets.
- Sturdy and durable for large, heavy loads.
- Practical to carry laundry around.
- Cute mint-green color.
- Easy to carry with handles.
- No lid included.
- Needs regular cleaning.
- It’s smaller than expected.
|Size||13.98 x 17.91 x 9.45 inches|
|Special function||Holds wet or dry clothes|
13. Seville Water-Hyacinth Double Laundry Hamper
Best Wicker Laundry Basket
This hand-woven wicker laundry hamper comes with a double compartment. It’s amazing for separating darks and whites or your clothes from your partner’s.
It’s an environmentally sustainable option, too. Plus, it will look great in your home, especially if you have a cottage country style.
Another great feature is that the inner bags can be machine-washed, too. They’re completely removable, so pop them out when transferring laundry or washing the bags.
- Double compartment for separating clothes.
- Environmentally friendly hand-woven wicker design.
- Removable bags inside for transferring laundry.
- Beautiful design available in five colors.
- Removable bags are machine-washable.
- Handles included for easy carrying.
- Each compartment is quite small.
- Bags unattach if too full.
- Not the most durable wicker material.
- Susceptible to mold.
|Size||22.8 x 13 x 24 inches|
|Special function||Double compartment, inner bags|
14. MCleanPin Large Laundry Hamper Collapsible
Best for College
The MCleanPin laundry hamper is a great fit for college students. This hamper comes with detachable laundry bags.
When your hamper is full, you can take out the bags and carry them to the laundry room. After you’re done, the bags can be reused as many times as you want.
Heading home for the summer? You can easily collapse this hamper. Pop it in your suitcase and enjoy a summer of easy laundry, too.
- Removable laundry bags for transferring clothes.
- Collapsible design fits in a suitcase.
- Large capacity for two loads of laundry.
- Laundry bags are machine washable.
- Not very sturdy; it collapses and crumples easily.
- Too small for some people.
|Size||13.8 x 13.8 x 23.8 in|
|Special function||Collapsible, removable bags|
15. Bamboo Laundry Hamper Tilt-Out With Shelf
Most Stylish Laundry Basket
For laundry lovers looking to stand out, check out this option. It’s a fantastic storage solution and unique hamper. It doubles as a beautiful bamboo shelf and a practical laundry hamper.
While the hamper is on the smaller side, it’s an excellent solution for small apartments. It may also work if you’re good at staying on top of laundry loads. The hamper is removable, so you can easily remove it to take it to the machine.
- Stylish, beautiful design.
- Doubles as a shelf and hamper.
- Fits small spaces and apartments.
- Reasonable price point.
- Natural and eco-friendly bamboo.
- Small hamper compartment.
- Difficult to assemble.
|Material||Bamboo & Fabric|
|Size||17.32 x 13 x 37.8 inches|
|Special function||Shelf, removable hamper|
|Rev-A-Shelf Pullout Cabinet||Pullout Laundry Basket||Wire & cloth||18 x 14.75 x 19.375″||No||15.15 lbs|
|Homest Travel Laundry Bag||For Travelling||ylon||27.9 x 0.1 x 39.8″||No||7.7 oz|
|CleverMade Laundry Tote||Foldable Laundry Basket||Polyester||21.2 x 13.2 x 2″||Yes||2 lbs|
|Oceanstar Bamboo Laundry Sorter||Laundry Basket With Compartments||Polyester & bamboo||29.75 x 27 x 19.1″||No||7.38 lbs|
|Storage Maniac Hanging Hamper||For Small Spaces||Mesh||13.2 x 1.9 x 17″||Yes||2.33 lbs|
|Mind Reader Laundry Basket||Sturdy||Plastic||10.1 x 14.2 x 24″||Yes||4.1 lbs|
|Hosroome Laundry Basket||Includes Removable Bags||Plastic||10.1 x 14.2 x 24″||Yes||4.1 lbs|
|Laundry Bag Backpack||Laundry Basket for Laundromat||Polyester & polyester blend||11.2 x 10.4 x 1.3″||Yes||1.05 lbs|
|Portable Laundry Hamper||Laundry Hamper With Wheels||Polyester||17 x 13.8 x 4.6″||Yes||3.95 lbs|
|Simplehouseware Laundry Hamper||Laundry Hamper With Lid||Polypropylene||17.4 x 13.7 x 2.9″||Yes||5.64 lbs|
|DokeHome Storage Basket||For Kids||Cotton||13.7 x 13.7 x 17.7″||Yes||7 oz|
|Like-It Laundry Basket||Budget-Friendly Laundry Basket||Plastic||13.98 x 17.91 x 9.45″||Yes||1.4 lbs|
|Seville Water-Hyacinth Hamper||Wicker Laundry Basket||Hyacinth wicker||22.8 x 13 x 24″||Yes||7 lbs|
|MCleanPin Laundry Hamper||For College||Polyester linen||13.8 x 13.8 x 23.8 in||Yes||1.68 lbs|
|Bamboo Laundry Hamper Tilt-Out||Stylish Laundry Basket||Bamboo & Fabric||17.32 x 13 x 37.8″||No||13.23 lbs|
Laundry Basket Vs. Hamper
What’s the difference?
A laundry basket has handles so you can carry it around with you. It’s great for carrying dirty clothes to the laundry room and clean clothes back to the wardrobe.
A laundry hamper, on the other hand, is storage for your dirty clothes. We leave ours in one place, toss our dirty clothes in there, and when it’s laundry day, we remove them for cleaning.
Hampers usually have lids, which helps contain bad smells. Because they are more of a stationary thing, you might want to find a hamper that suits the style of your home.
It’s also best to have a laundry basket and a hamper in your home since they are used for different things.
How to Choose (Buying Guide)
When choosing the best laundry basket or hamper, there is a lot to consider.
Laundry baskets and hampers come in various sizes to find the right one for you.
If you have a large family, opt for a bigger hamper. However, if you need something smaller to fit in your apartment, you can also find a modestly sized basket or hamper.
We recommend checking the dimensions of each product to see if it’s the right size for your needs.
Material is important, especially when it comes to aesthetic purposes. Some baskets and hampers look better than others. But each material comes with pros and cons, too.
- Easy to clean with all-purpose spray.
- Cheap and budget-friendly.
- Available in a range of colors.
- Very durable, it won’t break easily.
- Not as aesthetic.
- Needs regular cleaning.
- Conceals laundry, so it’s out of eyesight.
- Prevents unpleasant odors.
- Durable enough to last a few years.
- Usually quite expensive.
- Flexible and collapsable.
- It saves space since it can be stored easily.
- Lightweight, usually weighing less than two pounds.
- Difficult to clean — you need to put it through the machine.
- Falls over if too full.
Bamboo Or Wicker
- Moisture resistant.
- Good for bathrooms.
- Durable materials to last a while.
- Can discolor easily.
- Difficult to clean.
- Can tear clothes if garments get caught on the fibers.
If you live somewhere with a communal laundry area, it’s important to think about portability. It’s a good idea to choose something lightweight and with handles.
However, if you plan to leave the hamper in one spot, handles don’t matter. You can transport the clothes to and from the washing machine with a laundry basket.
Ventilation is critical so that damp or sweaty clothes have room to breathe. You don’t want them to go moldy and spread that mold to other clothes (1).
Choose one with a removable lid, or with gaps and holes, like a plastic or wicker basket.
One of our favorite features in laundry baskets and hampers are compartments. This is ideal for separating your whites, blacks, and colors.
It’s also good if you have multiple people in your household. You can separate everyone’s clothes so that nothing gets mixed up.
Where Should I Keep My Laundry Basket?
You can keep your laundry basket anywhere in the home. Here are the main options:
- The bathroom: If the basket has good ventilation, keep it in the bathroom.
- Laundry room: This is a practical idea since it’s easy to sort and transport to the machine.
- Near the washing machine: If your machine isn’t in a laundry room (ours is in the kitchen), keep your basket nearby.
- Bedroom: If this is where you undress at night, it’s easy to toss your dirty clothes in the hamper.
- Cupboard, closet, or cabinet: This keeps dirty laundry out of sight. It’s great if you don’t want your hamper to interfere with your decor.
What Can I Do With Old Laundry Baskets?
It’s not cool to waste old items. You can do a few creative, eco-friendly things with old laundry baskets.
- Recycling: If you have old laundry baskets in pretty good condition, use them to store recycling. This works great for any fillable type of baskets or hampers.
- Keep them in the car: You can use old laundry baskets in the trunk of your car. Keep pet supplies, emergency food, and other items in there to stay organized.
- Store toys: If your old laundry basket doesn’t work with laundry loads anymore but still has some life left, use it to store toys.
- Use for plants: We have an old wicker basket in which we put a plant pot. It’s super stylish in our home and good for an old basket.
- Donate them: If you can’t find any use for your old baskets, donate them. Even if they aren’t in good condition, some facilities will use the material to create an entirely new product.
What is a Good Size Laundry Basket?
A good size laundry basket ranges from approximately six to eleven pounds. Most laundry baskets are measured in volume, making the average basket about 60 liters in capacity.
Where Do You Put a Laundry Basket In a Small Bedroom?
The ideal place to put your laundry basket in a small bedroom is where the ceiling slopes, or at the foot of the bed.
How Long Can You Leave Dirty Clothes In a Hamper?
You can leave dirty clothes in a hamper indefinitely, provided that there are no damp garments or wet food stains. Wet clothes encourage mold and mildew growth, which destroys the fabric.
How Do You Clean a Cloth Laundry Basket?
The simple way to clean a cloth laundry basket is to pop it into the washing machine on a high temperature. The heat will kill germs and bacteria and lift the dirtiest stains from the fabric.
How Do You Fix a Crack In a Plastic Laundry Basket?
The best way to fix a crack in a plastic laundry basket is to use plastic glue. Ensure the crack is clean before applying the adhesive. Press the two broken pieces together and hold it while the glue sets.