TOMS are the perfect summer shoes. They’re comfy, durable and they come in so many different styles. Plus, TOMS has made a huge positive impact around the world (1).
Now, they give at least a third of their profit to a giving fund. So when you buy TOMS, you’re making changes in the world.
But to keep your TOMS in mint condition, you need to know how to wash TOMS. We’re here to teach you how to wash TOMS by hand or in the washing machine.
- Wash canvas TOMS in the washing machine using a gentle cycle, cold water, and a mesh bag.
- Hand wash TOMS by using a soft brush, mild detergent, and cold water.
- Clean and deodorize TOMS insoles with a toothbrush, mild detergent, and a homemade deodorizing powder.
- Always air dry TOMS, and avoid using a dryer to prevent shrinkage and damage.
Are TOMS Shoes Washable?
Yes — most TOMS can get wet. Most TOMS shoes are covered in canvas which is super easy to wash by hand or in the machine.
However, TOMS do come in other materials such as leather, organic cotton, chambray, lace, and more.
Canvas shoes are the most popular and common because they’re comfy and easy to clean. But if you treat yourself to a more unique pair of TOMS, they’ll require different cleaning methods.
How to Wash TOMS
Although TOMS come in a wide range of materials, we’re focusing on canvas and lace shoes. If you have another type of shoe, we recommend checking in with TOMS on the best way to clean them.
How to Wash TOMS by Hand
- Use a soft bristle brush, such as an unused toothbrush, to clean the outside of the TOMS. This will remove surface level dirt and debris.
- If your shoes are stained, dab a little bit of mild laundry detergent onto the affected area. Rub it in gently and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Fill up a large bowl with cold water, as per TOMS recommendation.
- Add a tablespoon of mild laundry detergent to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Make sure there is no bleach in the detergent, as this could discolor your shoes.
- Use your soft brush to apply the solution to your shoes. Scrub the fabric in one direction until the shoes are clean.
This method will work for leather TOMS also. Just make sure you don’t soak the shoes. Also — you’ll need to use a leather conditioner and polish afterwards to protect the shoes from future damage.
How to Wash TOMS in the Washing Machine
- Pre-treat any stains by rubbing a mild laundry detergent into the affected areas. Let this sit for 30 minutes before moving onto the next step.
- Set your washing machine to a gentle cycle — such as the handwash cycle — with cold water.
- Add ¼ of the normal amount of a mild laundry detergent. Add it directly to the drum or into the detergent dispenser.
- Put the shoes in a mesh bag to protect them during the cycle.
- If you have a front-loading washer, add the shoes and begin the cycle. If you have a top-loading washer, start the cycle now. When the drum is about ¾ of the way full, add the TOMS.
- Let the cycle run completely before removing the shoes.
How to Wash Lace TOMS
- Pre-treat any stains by applying a drop of mild laundry detergent to the affected area. Rub it in, then let it sit for 30 minutes before moving onto the next step.
- Fill a bowl with cold water.
- Add a few drops of a mild detergent.
- Soak a soft-bristled brush or a microfiber cloth in the solution.
- Gently rub the solution into the shoes in gentle circular motions to remove dirt and stains.
- Continue this process until the shoes are clean.
How to Clean TOMS Insoles
TOMS insoles are made from a range of materials. If you have leather insoles, you’ll want to skip these steps. Soaking leather and using baking soda can cause damage.
- Mix together a small bowl of cold water and a drop of mild laundry detergent.
- Dip a soft-bristled toothbrush in the solution and gently scrub the insoles of the shoes.
- If the shoes are stinky, you can make your own deodorizing powder. Mix together one cup of cornstarch, ½ cup of baking soda and ½ cup of baking powder.
- Add five drops of your favorite essential oil, such as lavender or tea tree.
- Sprinkle a few tablespoons of the powder into your TOMS. Save the rest for future uses.
- Let it sit for eight hours.
- Dump out the powder into the garbage can. Vacuum remaining powder from the shoes.
This method will deodorize and freshen your shoes, so they’ll smell as good as new.
How to Dry TOMS
Always let your TOMS air dry. They shouldn’t take too long to dry — maybe a few hours. You can hang them on the washing line, leave them in a well-circulated spot or put them on a drying rack.
Stuff the TOMS with newspaper so they hold their shape while drying.
If you leave your TOMS in the sunshine, this can cause fading but it won’t affect the fit of the shoe in any way (2).
Fresh as a Daisy
With these tips, tricks and instructions for cleaning your TOMS, your shoes will be fresh, stain-free and pristine again in no time.
Wear your clean TOMS to the next event, and wow people with your good looking footwear. Just make sure to clean your TOMS regularly to keep them looking (and smelling) great.