There’s nothing better than taking clean clothes out of the machine and breathing in a beautiful, fresh smell. Lavender, lemon, and florals — these are all scents we love our laundry to smell like. But how do we achieve that?
To get fresh-smelling laundry, you need one of the best smelling laundry detergents on the market. With these laundry detergents, your clothes will smell super clean.
We’ve put together a comprehensive list of 10 great laundry detergent options. All of these are based on real customer reviews, expert advice, and our own experience. No matter what scented laundry detergent you favor, you’ll find a fantastic option on our list.
- Plant-powered surfactants
- Naturally scented
- Good for most fabrics
- Natural ingredients
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Readily biodegradable
- 100 percent natural
- Good for itchy skin
- Works with hard water
- Designed for babies
- Works for cloth diapers
- Naturally scented
- Natural cleanser
- Great for HE washers
- Maintains colors
- 66 loads per bottle
- Helps with insomnia
- Advanced enzyme formula
- 100 percent natural formula
- Hypoallergenic and kind on skin
- Good for cloth diapers
- Naturally scented
- Four scent options
- 3-in-1 cleaning power
- No waste or mess
- Works for 210 washes
- Naturally scented
- Made from recycled materials
- Eco friendly
- Plant based ingredients
We have compiled a list based on our knowledge, expert advice, and real customer reviews. We spent hours researching the scent of each detergent and whether it’s naturally or synthetically scented. It was also important to us that these detergents have good value for money.
Are you ready to meet the top 10 best smelling laundry detergents? Let’s get fresh!
1. Earth Friendly Products Liquid Laundry Detergent
Best Smelling Liquid Detergent
Liquid laundry detergent is favored by many. It typically dissolves better than powder laundry detergent, so that it might be best for your machine. For a well-scented detergent, check out Earth Friendly Products Liquid Laundry Detergent.
We love this naturally scented and eco-friendly detergent. This detergent lifts stains, brightens whites, and guards colors.
It’s extra concentrated and has a built-in fabric softener, making it a 2-in-1 deal. It’s good for any kind of washing machine, hand washing, and washing your delicates.
This detergent is naturally scented with essential oils. There is an option for lemongrass or magnolia & lily. Using essential oils is much kinder for you and the planet than synthetic fragrances. Plus, lemongrass oil is great for easing some symptoms of illness, such as nausea and diarrhea (1).
- Plant-powered surfactants in the formula.
- Naturally scented with essential oils.
- Works in all water temperatures.
- Good for most fabrics.
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologically tested.
- Built-in fabric softener leaves clothes soft.
- Bottles are prone to leaking.
- Not the best for deep-cleaning heavy-duty stains.
- Doesn’t tackle strong odors.
|Scent Options||Lemongrass, and magnolia & lily|
|Number Of Loads||200|
2. Rustic Strength Laundry Detergent
Best for Sensitive Skin
If you have sensitive skin, you’ll know the struggle of finding a good laundry detergent. Many detergents contain ingredients, like dyes and perfumes, that irritate the skin (2). But the Rustic Strength Laundry Detergent is safe for those with sensitive skin.
This detergent is free from parabens, perfumes, fragrances, phthalates, sulfates, dyes, brighteners, and micro-beads. It’s kind to infants, babies, kids, and people with sensitive skin. The detergent itself is safe, mild, and gentle.
Although this is a natural product, it still truly cleans clothes. The ingredients are carefully chosen and balanced to provide clean clothes without toxins.
We love the orange scent because it smells amazing. Plus, it’s good for stress and mood-lifting (3).
- Natural plant-based ingredients.
- The orange scent is lovely and mood-boosting.
- Hypoallergenic formula with no dyes or perfumes.
- Readily biodegradable within a few weeks.
- Suitable for high-efficiency and standard machines.
- Not toxic to aquatic life.
- The scent might be too subtle.
- Large bottle is hard to pour into the detergent drawer.
|Number Of Loads||128|
3. Molly's Suds Original Laundry Powder
Best Smelling Powder Detergent
Molly’s Suds Original Laundry Powder is an effective detergent, scented with peppermint oil.
Peppermint oil gives your clothes the freshest of scents. It also has fantastic benefits for itchy skin (4).
There are only five ingredients, and they are natural, too! These include sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, magnesium sulfate, unrefined sea salt, and peppermint essential oil.
If you have babies, sensitive skin, are immunocompromised, or have skin conditions, Molly’s Suds powder is a wonder. It works with hard water, too. We also recommend this detergent if you have an HE washer.
This powder is best for warm loads only. Molly’s Suds warns that the powder is difficult to dissolve in water under 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 100% natural with only five ingredients.
- Peppermint has benefits for the skin.
- Good for the whole family, including infants.
- Multiple scent options available.
- Deep cleans and deodorizes laundry.
- Works well in standard and high-efficiency washers.
- Warm or hot water only (over 70 degrees).
- Not good at removing deodorant or mud stains.
- It doesn’t brighten white clothes.
|Scent Options||Peppermint, citrus grove, eucalyptus, lavender, lotus & peony, peppermint and lemon, rose, and unscented|
|Number Of Loads||70|
4. Babyganics Lavender Laundry Detergent
Best for Babies
It’s important to find the right detergent for your baby. Babies have sensitive, delicate skin, so you should find a gentle detergent for them.
We personally love the Babyganics Lavender Laundry Detergent. It’s gentle, and it smells amazing. We have used this for our little one, and it’s been amazing at removing stains.
It’s great for baby messes, like stains and cloth diapers. You can feel good about your baby’s laundry when you choose Babyganics.
What’s even better is that it’s formulated without the bad stuff. No sulfates, 1,4 dioxane, optical brighteners, chlorine, phthalates, phosphates, synthetic fragrances, or dyes.
This detergent is created to moisturize and protect baby’s skin. It allows you to relax when it comes to laundry, and be a little more adventurous when it comes to play.
Plus, it’s naturally scented. This detergent uses chamomile and lavender oil to create its lush, relaxing scent.
- Designed for baby skin and baby clothes.
- Works for cloth diapers and removing tough stains.
- Naturally lavender-scented.
- Made without harsh chemicals, like optical brighteners and dyes.
- Works for both standard and high-efficiency washers.
- The scent is mild.
- Environmental Working Group (EWG) rated it an F (5).
|Number Of Loads||60|
5. Indigo Wild Zum Clean Laundry Soap
Best for HE Washers
If you have a high-efficiency washer, you need a low-sudsing detergent. The Indigo Wild Zum laundry soap is perfect for HE washers — but it works in regular machines, too. However, you get more loads if you have an HE washer.
This detergent boasts a natural fragrance made only with essential oils. These naturally freshen your clothes and “aromatherapize” your laundry room, too!
This brand uses frankincense and myrrh oils to scent its soap. Plus, coconut oil can add a subtle scent to your clothes.
The Indigo Wild soap contains no parabens, phosphates, petrochemicals, or sulfates. Instead, it uses coconut oil soap to tackle stains and baking soda to remove odors. We enjoy that it maintains the brightness of your whites and the richness of your colored clothes!
- Made with natural cleaning ingredients, like coconut oil.
- Great for HE washers.
- Gorgeous smell of frankincense and myrrh scent.
- Maintains colors your clothing colors.
- Only does 32 loads per bottle.
- Higher price point compared to other detergents.
|Scent Options||Frankincense and myrrh|
|Number Of Loads||Up to 32|
6. Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent
Best Ultra Concentrated Detergent
The Seventh Generation laundry detergent is an excellent option if you’re looking for an ultra-concentrated formula. Why choose ultra-concentrated? You can do more loads for a smaller bottle. In fact, this small bottle does 66 loads!
This detergent has no dyes, artificial fragrances, or artificial brighteners. But it can still get you sparkling clean clothes! It is made with an advanced enzyme formula to fight those stubborn stains.
Having used Seventh Generation laundry detergent for years, we can personally recommend its power.
- Ultra-concentrated formula does 66 loads per bottle.
- Lavender oil helps with insomnia.
- Advanced enzyme formula to fight stains.
- Auto-measuring design.
- Available in lavender, alpine falls, mango & mandarin, rose, tropical grove, and unscented.
- The scent is quite subtle.
- It’s easy to squeeze too much detergent out.
- You might need extra detergent for tough stains.
|Scent Options||Lavender, alpine falls, mango & mandarin, rose, tropical grove, and unscented.|
|Number Of Loads||66|
7. Celadon Road Laundry Detergent All Natural
Best Natural Scent
100% natural laundry detergent? Say hello to the Celadon Road Laundry Detergent All Natural. This amazing detergent is 100 percent natural.
It includes no phosphates, sulfates, petrochemicals, animal by-products, chlorine, fragrance, perfumes, dyes, or allergens.
The Celadon Road detergent is 100 percent naturally scented with essential oils. It comes in a lovely, earthy cedarwood scent, giving your clothes a natural and refreshing smell.
If you or members of your family suffer from sensitive skin, allergies, or eczema, this is one detergent to try. It’s non-toxic and hypoallergenic, so you can rest assured it’ll be gentle on your skin.
Plus, it’s biodegradable and has never been tested on animals. Lots of reasons to love this detergent!
- 100 percent natural formula.
- Cedarwood scent suits men and women.
- Hypoallergenic fomrula is kind on skin.
- Good for cloth diapers and other baby clothes.
- Safe for those with eczema, allergies, and sensitive skin.
- The scent is subtle.
- It doesn’t suds up much.
|Number Of Loads||192|
8. Grab Green Natural 3 in 1 Laundry Detergent Pods
Best Smelling Laundry Pods
Sticking to pods? No problem. The Grab Green Natural 3-in-1 Laundry Detergent Pods are amazing.
They come in lots of different scents, including Vetiver, Lavender and Vanilla, and more.
These eco-friendly pods are derived from natural plant and mineral compounds. Years of work have been spent to create a natural yet effective laundry pod.
These are wonderful for removing stains, brightening clothes, and cleaning your laundry. A total three-in-one option!
You aren’t sacrificing cleaning power when you choose this sustainable option. Plus, you can rest assured this is a great option for your family.
Pods are a great choice because you don’t have the hassle of measuring the right amount of detergent. Simply use one pod for small to medium loads, or two pods for larger loads.
- Naturally scented and derived.
- Four scent options.
- 3 in 1 pod: cleans, removes stains, and brightens.
- Never tested on animals.
- Up to 60 loads per bag.
- Doesn’t dissolve well in cold water.
- The scent is too strong for some customers.
- Might leave residue on your clothes.
|Scent Options||Gardenia, Lavender, Vanilla, Vetiver, Unscented|
|Number Of Loads||60|
9. Ecoegg Spring Blossom Laundry Egg
Best Eco Laundry Detergent
The Ecoegg Spring Blossom Laundry Egg is the ultimate eco-friendly detergent option. Plus, it’s got a fantastic spring blossom scent created using only essential oils.
This isn’t a powder, pod, or liquid detergent. It’s a reusable laundry egg. You just put the egg in with your clothes, and the water pulls out the detergent to clean your laundry.
It works for up to 210 washes. When the egg is finished, you only need to buy the refills, so you never have any waste!
If you’re skeptical, know that we have used a laundry egg for years, and it works better than expected.
The detergent inside is unique, natural, and powerful. It’s activated by water and scientifically proven to lift away dirt and grime, leaving you with clean and freshly scented clothes.
- No waste or mess.
- The cheapest option in the long run.
- Works for 210 washes.
- Naturally spring-blossom scented.
- Cleans light loads of laundry well.
- Doesn’t remove stains well.
- Doesn’t work with hard water.
- The Tourmaline pellets aren’t included.
|Scent Options||Spring blossom|
|Number Of Loads||210|
10. Biokleen Laundry Detergent Liquid
Best Recyclable Laundry Detergent
The Biokleen laundry detergent is an excellent option to reduce your plastic waste. The bottle is made of 100 percent recycled cardboard and newspaper. When you finish the bottle, you can rinse it clean to be recycled or even composted!
As for the scent, Biokleen has created a lush citrus scent made with only essential oils. So you can rest assured that this is totally free of harsh synthetic fragrances! It also comes in lavender or a fragrance-free option if you’d prefer.
This detergent is plant-based, but that doesn’t sacrifice its cleaning ability. With this liquid laundry soap, you’ll get stain-free clothes, free of any bad odors. The citrus and grapefruit seed extract is responsible for the stain-fighting power.
- Made with recycled properties.
- Eco-friendly and plant-based.
- Good for everyday clothes and delicates.
- Breaks up stains and tackles odors.
- A little goes a long way.
- Not hypoallergenic.
- Makes clothes more static.
|Scent Options||Citrus or lavender|
|Number Of Loads||64|
|Product||Best||Scent Options||No. Of Loads||Type||Weight|
|Earth Friendly Liquid Detergent||Smelling Liquid Detergent||Lemongrass, lavender, & magnolia & lily||200||Liquid||15 lbs|
|Rustic Strength Laundry Detergent||For Sensitive Skin||Orange, lavender, cedarwood, cinnamon & more||128||Liquid||8 lbs|
|Molly’s Suds Laundry Powder||Smelling Powder Detergent||Peppermint||70||Powder||2.9 lbs|
|Babyganics Lavender Laundry Detergent||For Babies||Lavender||60||Liquid||5.6 lbs|
|Indigo Wild Zum Laundry Soap||For HE Washers||Frankincense & myrrh||32||Liquid||2.4 lbs|
|Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent||Ultra Concentrated Detergent||Lavender, alpine falls, tropical grove, or unscented||66||Liquid||1.6 lbs|
|Celadon Road All Natural||Natural Scent||Cedarwood||192||Powder||6 lbs|
|Grab Green Natural 3-in-1 Pods||Smelling Laundry Pods||Gardenia, Lavender, Vanilla, Vetiver, Unscented||60||Pods||2.2 lbs|
|Ecoegg Spring Blossom Laundry Egg||Eco Laundry Detergent||Spring blossom||210||Egg||2.88 oz|
|Biokleen Laundry Detergent Liquid||Recyclable Laundry Detergent||Citrus or lavender||64||Liquid||2.6 oz|
Why Do Some of My Clothes Smell After Washing?
If your laundry loads stink even after washing, there are a few reasons why this could be.
- You didn’t use the right amount of detergent: Too little detergent = not enough cleaning power. But too much detergent = not enough room for the water to work the dirt out from clothing. Use the correct amount of detergent for your load size.
- You overstuffed the washer: You need space for the water and detergent to do their job. Only fill the machine up 3/4 of the way.
- You don’t wash your clothes enough: It might simply be that you don’t wash your clothes enough. T-shirts, tank tops, tights, and underwear should be washed after every use. Jeans, pants, shorts, and pajamas can be washed after two to three wears. Bras should be washed every one to two wears.
- You leave the clothing in the washer: We’re all guilty of looking at our washed clothes and saying, “Maybe later!” But this will only make your clothes smell worse. Leftover bacteria can start reproducing on damp clothing, leaving the whole load stinky.
- Your washing machine isn’t clean: Did you know you have to clean your washing machine regularly? We recommend cleaning your washing machine every month to remove lingering smells. Read your washing machine’s instruction manual to know the best way to do this.
How to Choose (Buying Guide)
When choosing the best smelling laundry detergent for you, here are some things you should consider.
Of course, the scent comes first. You should definitely choose one that sounds good to you!
If you know you’re not a fan of floral scents, don’t choose one, even if the reviews praise it. To avoid disappointments, it may be best to stick to what you know you like.
Type of Detergent
Number of Loads
If you do lots of laundry, you might want to choose a laundry detergent that tackles a lot of loads. This saves you money and stops you from running out of detergent more often. Always check how many loads each detergent does, so you’re prepared for how long it will last!
How It’s Scented
It’s important to see whether the detergent is naturally or synthetically scented. It could have some detrimental side effects if made from chemically created fragrances.
For example, it could irritate your skin or trigger your allergies. Some even are linked to cancer (7).
You should be picky with your laundry detergent if you have sensitive skin. Even natural fragrances can lead to a bad reaction (8).
Check if the detergent is dermatologically tested and hypoallergenic. This minimizes the chance of an adverse reaction.
How Do I Make Laundry Smell Good?
If good-smelling laundry is what you’re after, you can use any of these recommended products. Always follow the product’s advice on how much to use per load. Additional tips to get laundry smelling good are:
- Spray your dirty laundry with your favorite essential oil before washing.
- Use scented dryer sheets.
- Dry your clothes well. Dampness is often the cause of bad-smelling clothes.
- Wash wet clothes right away.
- Don’t leave your clothes in the washer for more than an hour.
- Air your washer out after each use by leaving the door open.
- Use a fabric spray on dry clothes to freshen them up.
Why Can’t I Smell My Fabric Softener?
The reason why you can’t smell your fabric softener is because it is being added to the wash too soon. As the machine starts to work, it rinses the fabric softener from the clothes and it drains away.
How Can I Make My Clothes Smell Good All Day?
The way to make your clothes smell good all day is to spray them with fabric deodorizer like Febreeze. You can also use perfume, essential oils, and baking soda in the washing machine.
What Can I Put In a Dryer to Make Clothes Smell Good?
You can make your clothes smell good in a dryer by adding a few drops of essential oils to an old(but clean) sock and popping it in with your clothes. Alternatively, why not use laundry sheets like Gain Dryer Fabric Scents.
Is It Better to Use Powder or Liquid Laundry Detergent?
Liquid laundry detergent is better than powder because it doesn’t need to dissolve to work. If the powder fails to dissolve, it clogs the machine and could cause a malfunction.
Can I Spray Perfume In My Laundry?
You can spray perfume in your laundry to make it smell better. Place the damp garments in the dryer, spray a few drops of perfume on a paper towel, and pop it in with the clothes.