Watching your favorite white clothes gradually fade to yellow or grey can be disheartening. It’s also disappointing when you drop a big glob of food onto your white t-shirt, causing a stubborn stain.
But there’s no reason to fear because many products can zap these stains away and whiten your clothes once again. Bring your whites back to sparkling style in no time with the best laundry whiteners on the market.
To create this list of seven, we spent hours researching expert advice, real customer reviews, as well as applying our own experience. You can rest assured that we chose only the best — plus, they’re all bleach-free options.
- Whitens & brightens colors
- Pre-soak treatment
- Chlorine-free formula
- Eco-friendly ingredients
- Great stain remover
- Useful around the house
- Natural and eco-friendly
- Good for sensitive skin
- Works around the house
- Freshens worn-looking clothes
- Hypoallergenic and biodegradable
- Machine wash or hand wash
- Convenient pac design
- Safe on colorfast items
- 40 percent more power than bleach
- Naturally-derived ingredients
- Brightens whites & color safe
- Convenient pod form
- Removes rust, red clay and color bleed stains
- Works on delicate clothes
- Works with hard water
Review Methodology: At Oh So Spotless, we pride ourselves on providing comprehensive analysis and assessment of the best laundry whiteners available on the market. Our team of professionals conducts rigorous hands-on testing and research to evaluate each product’s performance based on key decision-making factors, such as effectiveness, safety, and ease of use. We gather quantitative data and first-hand experiences to rank and measure products, comparing them against industry benchmarks and standards. Our evaluations take into account design choices, user experience, and unique features that set each product apart from its competitors. Trust our expertise to guide you through the process of selecting the ideal laundry whitener to keep your clothes looking brilliantly clean and spotlessly white.
The Best Laundry Whiteners of 2023
We’ve spent hours researching each product, customer reviews, and expert advice. Comparing the products and using our own insight, we have a comprehensive list of the best laundry whiteners to brighten your clothing.
Check out these seven super laundry whiteners.
OxiClean White Revive Laundry Whitener
The OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Powder is the best overall laundry whitener, in our opinion. It has 40 percent more whitening power than chlorine bleach. This product will transform your dingy whites into bright whites that look as good as new.
You can use this for sheets, t-shirts, underwear, sportswear, and much more. It’s safe to use in every single load if you’d prefer. It’s also great for pre-soaking clothes to really tackle tough stains.
OxiClean is also safe on colors. It will help to brighten them, restoring them to their original hue. This also ensures that you won’t have white bleach stains on any of your clothes. We love that this is formulated without bleach or chlorine.
- Whitens whites and brightens colors.
- Useful for each load or specific stain removal.
- Can be used as a pre-soak treatment.
- Chlorine-free formula.
- More effective than chlorine bleach.
- Strong scent (made with synthetic fragrances).
- Not as effective in cold water.
- Not suitable for wool, silk, or leather.
|Number of Loads||45|
|Temperature||Warm water recommended|
Savvy Green Oxygen Brightening Powder
Best Laundry Whitener Powder
Savvy Green Oxygen Brightening Powder is an oxygen-based bleach alternative that works to boost your detergent’s cleaning powder. It leaves you with brighter, whiter, and cleaner clothes.
It’s an eco option, being fragrance-free and containing no phosphates or chlorine.
We love that it works in any kind of machine: HE, top or front loading. No matter what temperature you choose, Savvy Green works fantastically!
Also — it’s a good stain remover. It has the power to remove stains and deodorize items. Not just clothes, too.
To use this with your normal cycle, sprinkle it onto your clothes in the machine. One small scoop is recommended for lightly soiled clothes, two for moderately soiled, and three for heavily soiled garments.
- Eco-friendly and safe ingredients.
- Brightens, whitens, and cleans clothes.
- Great stain remover.
- Useful for around the house.
- Removes bad odors.
- Safe for all temperatures.
- Soaking to remove stains can take a while.
- Not as effective at brightening clothes as other products.
|Number of Loads||At least 32|
|Color Safe||Yes, with colorfast fabrics|
Molly's Suds Oxygen Whitener
Best Natural Laundry Whitener
Molly’s Suds Oxygen Whitener is our top pick for a natural option. It’s formulated with only earth and plant-derived biodegradable ingredients. No chlorine, bleach, optical brighteners, ammonia, or other typical bleaching ingredients exist.
This option is a good one for anybody, whether you’re young, old, or have sensitive skin. And just because it’s an eco option doesn’t mean it’s not powerful. This stuff whitens whites, brightens colors, and fights stains.
With only four ingredients in Molly’s Suds Oxygen Whitener, you know what you’re getting. Plus, this laundry detergent is beautifully scented with lemon essential oil.
It’s compatible with any type of washing machine. Just note that you need to pre-soak the items in the washing machine before using your regular cycle.
- Natural and eco-friendly ingredients.
- Safe for sensitive skin.
- Brightens whites beautifully.
- Works in other areas of the home, including bathrooms and carpets.
- Works great in all temperatures.
- Available in four scent options, including lemon.
- Not compatible with wool, leather, or silk.
- You need to pre-soak the items before washing.
|Number of Loads||Up to 80|
Nellie's Oxygen Brightener Powder Tin
Best for Sensitive Skin
Everybody gets stained or discolored whites, even people with sensitive skin. This is especially true for baby clothes — they need a good clean without harsh ingredients. That’s where Nellie’s Oxygen Brightener Powder whitener comes into play.
This chlorine-free formula is hypoallergenic, so you can be comfy in your whites again! Plus, it’s color- and septic-safe as well as biodegradable.
This powerful product can restore your clothes to their original state. Your worn-out clothes will look fresh again.
Customers love using this for general loads of laundry or washing muddy clothes. It’s also great for washing toddler or baby clothes, including cloth diapers.
One tin does up to 100 loads, but it’s worth noting that it’s pretty pricey per ounce.
- Freshens up worn-looking clothes.
- Hypoallergenic and biodegradable formula.
- Can be used for machine washing or hand washing.
- Removes stains on clothes or carpets.
- Not for wool, silk, or leather.
- High price point per ounce.
- It’s hard to remove the lid on the tin.
|Number of Loads||Up to 100|
|Temperature||Warm or hot water|
OxiClean White Revive Laundry Whitener Paks
Best Laundry Whitener Pacs
Laundry pacs are convenient for many people. They come pre-measured and are easy to transport. For the best laundry whitener pac, we recommend the OxiClean White Revive Whitener Paks.
Like the OxiClean White Revive Powder, the pacs provide 40 percent more whitening power than chlorine bleach. Simply add a pac to the drum before adding your clothes. You can use this for every load or whenever your clothes need the extra boost.
It’s excellent for bringing brightness back to your whites. But you can also use it for brightening colors! Make sure it’s a colorfast fabric before using it, though.
The formula is said to break down and remove the toughest of stains. But customers found that the pacs do not get out stains, including menstrual, food, and sweat stains. So keep in mind that for tough stain removal, you might need to add an extra step and product here.
- Convenient pac design.
- Safe on colorfast items.
- 40 percent more whitening power than bleach.
- Budget-friendly per pac.
- Pre-soak or add alongside detergent for easy use.
- Doesn’t effectively remove tough stains.
- Not suitable for wool, silk, or leather.
|Number of Loads||24|
|Color Safe||Yes, with colorfast fabrics|
|Temperature||Warmest water possible|
Grab Green Natural Bleach Alternative Pods
Best Non-Bleach Laundry Whitener
If you’re trying to stay away from bleach, then the Grab Green Natural Bleach Alternative Pods are an efficient option. Free from chlorine bleach, Grab Green uses naturally-derived ingredients to whiten your clothes.
All the ingredients are derived from natural sources, and the pods are fragrance-free. You’ll love this if you have sensitive skin and are looking for an eco alternative to bleach.
Not only does this bring your whites back to super white, but it also neutralizes odors. These pods work at all temperatures, are hypoallergenic, and guess what — they’re safe on colors!
These little pods are pre-measured and concentrated, so you only need one to do a good job. They are convenient, especially if you’re traveling or visiting the laundromat. Just pop them into a bag — in a dry spot — and take them with you.
- Bleach-free, made from naturally derived ingredients.
- Brightens whites and is color-safe.
- Convenient pod form.
- Fragrance-free to be kind to the skin.
- Removes light-duty stains and stinky odors.
- Customers find it doesn’t effectively remove tough stains.
- Pods might open in the bag.
|Number of Loads||60|
Summit Brands White Brite
Best for Dingy Whites
For dingy whites, especially those caused by rust or yellowing, you’re probably desperate to get them sparkling clean again. The Summit Brands White Brite is a great solution.
This product is ideal if you live in a region with high iron or red clay. If these stains get onto your clothes often, the White Brite is proven to help. It will brighten your whites and remove some stains that bleach can’t.
You can use this on white and colorfast clothes for amazing results. It’s also safe for delicates. Customers who live in areas with red clay and hard water areas find that White Brite works wonders on their laundry.
If you have a lot of dingy whites, you might find that this is a must-have in the laundry room.
- Extremely strong smell.
- Not made with eco-friendly ingredients.
- Some customers reported new stains.
|Number of Loads||20|
|Color Safe||Yes, with colorfast fabrics|
|Product||Best||Type||Bleach-Free||Number of Loads||Color Safe||Temperature|
|OxiClean White Revive||Overall||Powder||Yes||45||Yes||Warm|
|Savvy Green Oxygen Brightening Powder||Laundry Whitener Powder||Powder||Yes||32||Yes||Cold/Warm|
|Molly’s Suds Oxygen Whitener||Natural Laundry Whitener||Powder||Yes||80||Yes||Cold/Warm|
|Nellie’s Oxygen Brightener Powder Tin||For Sensitive Skin||Powder||Yes||60||Yes||Warm|
|OxiClean White Revive Paks||Laundry Whitener Pacs||Pacs||Yes||24||Yes||Warm|
|Grab Green Natural Bleach Alternative Pods||Non-Bleach Laundry Whitener||Pods||Yes||60||Yes||Cold/Warm|
|Summit Brands White Brite||For Dingy Whites||Powder||Yes||30||Yes||Cold/Warm|
Why Is My White Laundry Turning Yellow?
There are a few culprits that could be turning your white clothes yellow:
- Sweat stains: Sweat is a significant reason many whites turn yellow. While sweat is usually colorless, it can appear yellow on your clothes. This is due to the bacteria or chemicals on your skin and clothing merging together to create a yellow hue (1).
- Bleaching: Bleach can actually turn white clothes yellow. This is especially true for synthetic garments (2). Chlorine bleach can break down the outer coating of color, and turn the fabrics yellow or grey (3).
- Wrong washing quantities: Using too much detergent and not enough water can also yellow your whites. It will leave residue on your clothes. If you put them in a hot dryer, it can set these stains.
How To Choose a Laundry Whitener
There are many laundry whiteners to choose from. You can also use natural remedies like baking soda or lemons to be extra eco-friendly when whitening laundry.
But there are some great products out there that will really help get clothes whiter. We’ll talk you through the most important factors to consider when choosing a laundry whitener.
How To Use OxiClean Whitener for Clothes
OxiClean is a bleach-free and chlorine-free powder to get clothes back to pristine white. Whitening laundry is easy. Follow these steps for amazing results:
- Add OxiClean: Add ¼ cup of the powder directly into your machine’s drum. This is for front and top-loading machines.
- Add detergent: Add your detergent as you usually do.
- Clothes: Add your clothes.
- Wash: Wash clothes in the warmest water the garments can handle.
Heavily Soiled Garments?
Back to White
With our top recommendations for the best laundry whiteners, get your clothes white again. Brighten up those sparkling towels, sheets, and t-shirts.
If you choose wisely, you can also use them on colored items, which might bring back the original hue.
Always check how many loads each product does so you know how long the product will last. If you want a bleach-free product, then any of these options will do! But for a natural option — we recommend going for the Molly’s Suds Oxygen Whitener.
However, the OxiClean White Revive is the best whitener overall.