If you’ve spent the morning mowing your grass, but it still looks a little untidy, grass shears can help. A lawnmower can’t reach the fine edges of your lawns, flowerbeds, and pavements, which is why you need this handy tool.
With so many options available, it can be hard to know which is the best pair of grass shears for you. But with this ultimate buying guide and handy product reviews, we can help.
Keep reading to be matched with the right pair of grass shears for you. Whether you’re looking for something heavy-duty, lightweight, budget-friendly, or ergonomic — we have you covered.
- Narrow blades for hard-to-reach places
- Safety locking mechanism
- Work for indoor/outdoor gardening
No products found.
- Shear ease tech prevents blades sticking
- Blades cut from end to end
- 360-degree swivel blade
- Easy to maneuver ergonomic handle
- 180 degree rotating head
- Non-stick blade coating
- Durable & sharp MaxForged steel
- Blades can be easily resharpened
- Non-slip vinyl coating
- Spring-loaded handles
- For trimming, deadheading, pruning, etc
- Safety lock included
- Compatible with all Worx 20V/40V tools
- Includes sheath guard
- Rubberized handle reduces vibrations
- Cordless design for maneuverability
- Ergonomic handle for comfort
- Run time between 45-80 minutes
- Cut through clumps quickly
- Ergonomic rubberized grip
- Included safety tip & safety lock
- Extra sharp steel for quick, easy cuts
- Easy-to-squeeze handle
- 180-degree swivel head
- 360-degree swivel head
- Lifetime warranty included
- Long shaft eliminates back & knee pain
Take a look at these 10 best pairs of grass shears.
1. VIVOHOME Non-Stick Pruning Shear
Best Budget Grass Shears
If you’re on a tight budget, check out these from VIVOHOME. They’re some of the most affordable on the market, and they’re super versatile, so you can use them for more than just trimming grass.
Because of the sharp blades, this is a great option for ensuring clean even cuts that don’t damage your plants. The straight stainless steel blades are durable and sharp. They also have a long pointed tip, making it easy to navigate around greenery and get into hard-to-reach places.
The handles are ergonomic and comfortable, suitable for both right- and left-handed people. With cutting grass, keep in mind that it may take longer than larger shears since these are quite small.
As for what you can cut, this is suitable for a wide variety of tasks. Besides cutting grass, these are also awesome for indoor gardening, too, whether that’s trimming houseplants or pruning potted plants.
You can also use these for flower beds, harvesting fruit and vegetables, and much more. Overall, you’ll get a lot of use out of such a budget-friendly option, ensuring you’re getting a good bang for your buck.
- Super affordable, at the lowest end of the average price range.
- Narrow blades get into hard-to-reach places.
- Safety locking mechanism to protect the blades.
- Work for a variety of indoor and outdoor gardening tasks.
- Small shears may make trimming grass a long, drawn-out job.
- Not suitable for thick branches.
|Blade material||Straight edge stainless steel|
|Dimensions||5.2 x 3.4 x 0.6 inches|
2. Fiskars Swivel Soft Touch Grass Shear
Best Ergonomic Grass Shears
These shears are fun and comfortable to hold. They have a bottom loop that looks like a regular pair of scissors, but the secondary part of the handle is a curved rod with a resting place for your thumb. This makes these shears ergonomic and easy to use for long periods.
They also have a 360-degree rotating blade, so you can cut at any angle you choose. The blade and handle design put you in charge of the tool. This allows you to make the most precise cuts you want, ensuring beautiful attention to detail in your yard.
They’re designed with various tasks in mind: trimming grass, cutting around trees, flower beds, and sidewalks. If you’re looking for a manual pair of shears to create crisp, neat edges — then look no further than these.
- Shear Ease technology prevents the blades from jamming and sticking.
- Hard, sharp, and durable steel blades.
- Blades cut from end to end, making trimming easier.
- 360-degree swivel blade allows you to cut at any angle.
- Locking mechanism sometimes engages while you cut, which is inconvenient.
- Some customers reported that the blades dulled quickly.
|Blade material||Precision-ground steel|
|Dimensions||13 x 4.5 x 2 inches|
|Handle||Half loop, half rod, ergonomic|
3. WOLF-Garten Rill Grass Shears
Best Topping Grass Shears
Customers love these topping grass shears, and we think you will, too. The horizontal blades sit level with the grass to provide a neat, beautiful, and crisp finished edge along your grass. So if you’re after a luscious lawn, these can help.
What’s even better is that the head rotates 180 degrees. So if ever you don’t need the vertical design, you can switch these, so the blades are vertical against the grass. This allows you to cut at a few different angles to ensure you’re getting the best trim possible.
As for the blades, they are coated in a non-stick finish. This prevents sap and residue from building up on the blades and jamming them shut. It also ensures that you expend much less effort when cutting.
Last but not least, these come with a 10-year guarantee. Admittedly, they are a little more expensive than your average manual shears, but when you consider how long they’ll last, it might just be worth it.
- Comfort grip to protect your hand from pain and fatigue.
- Ergonomic handle that’s easy to hold and maneuver.
- 180 degree rotating head for horizontal and vertical cutting.
- Non-stick coating on blades provides easier cuts.
- It’s quite stiff, which some customers found difficult to make cuts with.
- The blades could be sharper.
- A bit pricier than the average grass shears.
|Dimensions||15.43 x 5.83 x 5.91 inches|
|Handle||Ergonomic with comfort grip|
4. Corona ClassicCUT Grass Shear
Best Edging Grass Shears
As we mentioned earlier, there are three types of manual shears, edging being one of them. If you’re after an edging design, then this is a fantastic option.
The sharp blades are great for edging and trimming grass, but it’s also sharp enough to cut through ground cover and sod. So if you need to do a major tidy of the grass in your yard, these shears can help.
We also think you’ll love how comfortable these are to use. The handles are nice and long so that you can use these comfortably with two hands. With their vinyl non-slip coating, even in the height of summer, you’ll have a secure grip on the tool.
The long handles and blades also mean that these are actually great for cutting and trimming small hedges when you’re in a pinch! So if you can’t find your hedge shears one afternoon, try putting these to the test.
- MaxForged steel ensures strength, durability, and sharpness.
- Blades can be easily resharpened.
- Non-slip vinyl coating on long handles for comfort and control.
- Easily cuts through grass, sod, and ground cover.
- Heavy and wide to hold, and requires effort to squeeze shut.
- Customers found the steel rusted quickly.
- Blades get stuck together quite easily.
|Blade material||MaxForged steel|
|Dimensions||1.63 x 2.25 x 11.75 inches|
|Handle||Non-slip vinyl coating, long|
5. VIVOSUN Hand Pruning Shears
Best Lightweight Grass Shears
You really can’t get much lighter than this. At only 2.89 ounces, this will feel as light as a feather in your hand. No risk of wrist and hand fatigue here.
This is also a very versatile tool to have. Keen gardeners may even say it’s a “must-have.” It’s great for both indoor and outdoor gardening, trimming grass and weeds, pruning your fruit and vegetables, and tidying back hedges, shrubs, and flower gardens.
The blades are high-quality, too, made from precision-sharp stainless steel. This ensures they’ll last a long time but also cut smoothly and evenly, which can help the health of your plants.
As for the design, the blades come with a long thin tip that can help you get into hard-to-reach areas. The handle also has a soft grip to give you great control while doing your pruning and trimming.
- Super budget-friendly; one of the most affordable options available.
- Minimizes hand and wrist fatigue due to the spring-loaded handles.
- Very versatile, great for trimming, deadheading, pruning, and more.
- Safety lock included keeping the blades protected between uses.
- Quite small, so will make trimming work slower.
- Get sticky easily from plant residue; hard to clean.
- A bit too small for many people.
- Locking mechanism doesn’t stay locked all the time.
|Blade material||Precision sharp stainless steel|
|Dimensions||9.02 x 3.46 x 0.63 inches|
6. WORX Shear Shrubber Trimmer
Best Cordless Grass Shears
This is an incredible tool for tidying up your yard. You can use this for trimming your grass, of course, but also for trimming hedges, shrubs, and more.
This one comes with a 4-inch grass blade for making neat cuts along your grass edges. And it comes with an 8-inch shrubbery blade for shrubs and hedges. So you’re basically getting two handy tools for the price of one!
When you want to change the blades, it’s super easy, too. No tools are required. Simply flip the machine, push the button, take the faceplate off and switch the blades over.
Both blades have a dual-action design. This ensures that you can make quicker, more even, and more precise cuts in less time. So if you want to get through your trimming quicker than ever before, this might be just the tool for you.
The battery life isn’t exactly specified, but a few customers said it lasted at least 90 minutes, which is great.
- Compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools.
- Included a sheath guard to protect the blade during storage.
- Rubberized handle reduces vibrations and hand fatigue.
- Weighs less than 2 pounds, making it a dream to transport.
- Not powerful enough for heavy-duty cutting.
- Struggles to cut through anything over ⅛ inch thick.
- The trigger must be held down at all times, which is tiring.
|Blade material||Dual-action stainless steel|
|Dimensions||11.02 x 3.74 x 5.71 inches|
|Handle||Soft grip, ergonomic|
7. Gardena 8885-U Cordless Grass Shears
Best Heavy-Duty Grass Shears
If you want something truly heavy-duty, you may want to opt for an electric option. This can cut down your trimming time and do the hard work for you. This will reduce hand fatigue while ensuring a swift cut through thick grass.
While the price point for these cordless grass shears is a little higher, customers love it. They’re super powerful which can provide an incredible cutting experience and results. Neighbors will be eyeing up your garden’s edges, for sure!
This can run for about 45 minutes in between six-hour charges. While this isn’t the longest battery life around, you can always buy additional batteries, so you’re never stuck in a difficult situation. Also — it may last up to 80 minutes if you’re not putting the tool to extremely intense work.
Another awesome feature about this is that you can use it as a handheld tool, or you can buy an extension pole. Customers definitely recommend the extension pole, which means you don’t have to bend or crouch to cut edges. It also means you can get into high places like shrubs and hedges.
- The cordless design gives you maneuverability and flexibility.
- Ergonomic handle means it’s comfortable and natural to hold.
- Easily converts from grass shears to shrub shears.
- Run time between 45-80 minutes.
- Six-hour charge time is very long.
- Battery life reportedly lasted on the shorter end, around 45 minutes.
- A bit pricey compared to other electric grass shears.
|Blade material||Not specified|
|Dimensions||7.87 x 7.87 x 23.62 inches|
8. Kings County Tools Grass Shears
Safest Grass Shears
We wanted to find something high quality that also guaranteed a little extra safety. That’s when we came across these grass and topiary shears.
These Kings County shears have a little cap that goes over the tip of the shears, which ensures the blades are protected. But it also ensures that you are protected in case you accidentally nudge the blade. With the tip on, you won’t hurt yourself.
Of course, this is also a seriously high-quality tool with a razor-sharp blade and unique handle design.
When it comes to the blade, it has a longer 6-inch design which ensures enough length for most shearing jobs. It will also allow you to cut grass quicker than with other grass shear options discussed.
The handles are unique in that they sit flush with the blade, like two knives meeting at a point, rather than a scissor-type design. This allows you to easily open and close the tool as you trim. The rubberized coating and locking mechanism also makes this safe and easy to use, no matter the weather.
- Extremely sharp — allows you to cut through clumps quickly.
- Less hand fatigue than traditional handles.
- Ergonomic and comfortable handles with a rubberized grip.
- Included safety tip and safety lock.
- Heavier than the average manual shears, at just over 10 ounces.
- Some found the blades to be a bit stiff to open and close.
- May rust quickly.
|Blade material||Not specified|
|Dimensions||2 x 0.75 x 13.75 inches|
|Handle||Plastic with rubberized grips|
9. Steve & Leif Grass Shears
Best Durable Grass Shears
We did say that stainless steel was one of the best, most durable materials you could go for when choosing a pair of grass shears. That’s why we love these Steve & Leif grass shears.
The blade is made from 65 Mn stainless steel. This means it’s been made with manganese which ensures the steel is hard, strong, and long-lasting. It also has a nice low-friction coating which stops it from sticking and rusting. So, it’s effortless to wipe down after each use.
These shears also come with a 180-degree swiveling head.
Remember when we told you this was a versatile option? It’s great for edging your grass, trimming grass, cutting around trees, sidewalks, flower beds, and even decorative areas. Wherever attention to detail is important, you can put these shears to the test.
- Extra sharp steel for quick, easy cuts.
- Comfortable handle which suits both left and right-handed people.
- Easy-to-squeeze handle reduces hand and wrist fatigue.
- 180-degree swivel head so you can have vertical or horizontal blades.
- Few customers found the blades were faulty and didn’t cut.
|Blade material||65 Mn stainless steel with a low-friction coating|
|Dimensions||3.9 x 3.7 x 1.2 inches|
|Handle||Nylon glass, circular protection, spring-action|
10. Fiskars Long-Handle Swivel Shears
Best Grass Shears With Long Handles
Long-handled grass shears can reduce your need to crouch and bend over. This can relieve back pain and fatigue. If you’re in the market for long-handled grass shears, then check out these by Fiskars.
They have a 36-inch long shaft that allows you to remain standing while you’re cutting your grass. The tip of the handle has a nice ergonomic handle that’s comfortable to hold and easy to use.
As for the blades, wait until you hear this. They come with a 360-degree swiveling head! So you can trim at any angle you like, ensuring you achieve crisp, clean cuts all around your yard.
The blades are also made with hard, precision-ground carbon steel. So while perhaps not as durable as stainless, it’s still a high-quality option.
- Versatile — for trimming grass around trees, flower beds, sidewalks, and more.
- 360-degree swivel head so you can trim from any angle.
- Lifetime warranty included for your peace of mind.
- Long shaft means you eliminate back and knee pain while cutting.
- Pretty pricey, even more expensive than electric shears.
- The blades are quite short and don’t open that wide.
- Blades jam easily if there is debris, like twigs, in the grass.
|Blade material||Precision-ground carbon steel|
|Dimensions||3.5 x 10 x 37 inches|
|Handle||Long, ergonomically designed|
|VIVOHOME Non-Stick Pruning Shear||Budget Grass Shears||Manual, topping||Straight edge stainless steel||5.2 x 3.4 x 0.6″||3.2 oz||Rubberized grip|
|Fiskars Swivel Soft Touch Grass Shear||Ergonomic Grass Shears||Manual, swiveling||Precision-ground steel||13 x 4.5 x 2″||8 oz||Half loop, half rod, ergonomic|
|WOLF-Garten Rill Grass Shears||Topping Grass Shears||Manual, swiveling||Non-stick||15.43 x 5.83 x 5.91″||6.3 oz||Ergonomic with comfort grip|
|Corona ClassicCUT Grass Shear||Edging Grass Shears||Manual, edging||MaxForged steel||1.63 x 2.25 x 11.75″||1.2 lbs||Non-slip vinyl coating, long|
|VIVOSUN Hand Pruning Shears||Lightweight Grass Shears||Manual, topping||Precision sharp stainless steel||9.02 x 3.46 x 0.63″||2.89 oz||Rubberized grip|
|WORX Shear Shrubber Trimmer||Cordless Grass Shears||Electric cordless||Dual-action stainless steel||11.02 x 3.74 x 5.71″||1.98 lbs||Soft grip, ergonomic|
|Gardena 8885-U Cordless Grass Shears||Heavy-Duty Grass Shears||Electric cordless||N/A||7.87 x 7.87 x 23.62″||1.21 lbs||Pivoting ergonomic|
|Kings County Tools Grass Shears||Safest Grass Shears||Manual, swiveling||N/A||2 x 0.75 x 13.75″||10.4 oz||Plastic with rubberized grips|
|Steve & Leif Grass Shears||Durable Grass Shears||Manual, swiveling||Stainless steel, low-friction coating||3.9 x 3.7 x 1.2″||6.4 oz||Nylon glass, circular protection|
|Fiskars Long-Handle Swivel Shears||Grass Shears With Long Handles||Manual, swiveling||Precision-ground carbon steel||3.5 x 10 x 37″||2 lbs||Long, ergonomically designed|
Types of Grass Shears
You may be surprised to learn that there are varying types of grass shears to choose from. We’ll dive into the finer details later, but the two main types are manual and electric. Let’s look at the differences, pros, and cons of each.
Manual grass shears look a bit like a fancy pair of scissors. You use these manually, so you’re the power behind them. So if your lawn edges or grass need a manual trim, these allow you to control the detail. While it may take longer than using an edger or an electric pair of grass shears, you have ultimate control.
- Super affordable, costing between $5 and $25 on average.
- Manual means you control the cuts you make.
- Many varying blade and handle length options.
- Last for years when cared for properly.
- May take longer to use than electric options.
- Not every pair comes with a safety tip or other safety mechanisms.
- Huge variety available can cause decision paralysis.
Electric grass shears are powered by electricity. The cutting blade moves automatically, so you don’t have to put as much effort into using these.
Most of the time, these are cordless and run on a rechargeable battery. But you can also find corded options that plug directly into an outlet.
Overall, these are more powerful than manual shears, but you may not find you have the same control over the details.
- Cutting blade moves automatically, making these powerful and easy to use.
- Corded and cordless options available.
- Very versatile; can be used for thick grass, bushes, hedges, and more.
- Quicker to use than manual grass shears.
- Not super expensive, averaging around $40.
- Some options are more expensive, going up to over $100.
- Less control over detail than with manual grass shears.
What to Look For (Buying Guide)
It’s important to choose the right pair of grass shears for you. To make it easy, this guide will highlight the most important details to consider. Therefore, you can choose one that ticks all your boxes.