Hedges can be beautiful additions to gardens, adding shaping and privacy. But they can look scruffy if they become unruly.
If you’re looking to give your hedges a professional haircut, give them a makeover with one of the best hedge trimmers available.
I’ve put together an in-depth and handy guide based on real customer reviews and expert advice. After studying each hedge trimmer’s build, blade, cutting ability, and weight, I chose the top 10 that should suit a variety of customers, including you! Keep reading to find the right gardening tool for your collection.
- Long 24-inch blade
- Blade tip guard minimizes potential damage
- Brushless motor ensures power & durability
- Quick and easy cutting
- 80-minute run time per battery
- Six angle settings for your flexibility
- Three-year warranty
- 22-inch blades reduce vibrations
- Comfortable and practical handles
- Full-length trigger for easy pulling
- Cord retention prevents accidental unplugging
- Minimal vibration
- Cord retention design
- Ergonomic design to reduce fatigue
- Added tip guard to protect the blade
- Rear and front handle for better control
- Powerful option, great for home or work use
- Ergonomic and comfortable handle
- Only 4.6 pounds
- Handguard protects you from injury
- Cord lock prevents accidental unplugging
- 2.7- and 4-amp options available
- Super budget-friendly option
- Shorter shaft for more control
- Rubberized front handle
- Commercial air filter increases durability
- 4.5-amp motor for great power
- Pivoting head from -20 to 60 degrees
- Suitable for both large and small hedges
Review Methodology: At Oh So Spotless, we pride ourselves on providing you with an in-depth analysis of the best hedge trimmers available on the market. Our experienced team conducts thorough assessments, comparisons, and hands-on testing based on important factors such as performance, durability, and ease of use. We evaluate products from a user’s perspective, sharing quantitative measurements and first-hand evidence that demonstrate our expertise in the field. In our reviews, we focus on key decision-making factors, ranking each product on criteria such as power source, blade length, safety features, and ergonomics. Our comprehensive research and evaluation process ensures that you can trust our recommendations and make an informed decision on the best hedge trimmer for your needs.
The Best Hedge Trimmers of 2023
I’ve researched genuine customer reviews and expert advice to compile this list of the best hedge trimmers. My analysis includes in-depth reviews and a comprehensive breakdown of the hedge trimmer’s specs, including but not limited to the type, blade details, cutting diameter, and weight.
Here are 10 awesome hedge trimmers for shaping and cutting your hedges.
Milwaukee M18 Brushless Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Want to use your hedge trimmer for much more than just tidying up your hedges? I have just the product for you.
This Milwaukee hedge trimmer is actually compatible with over 200 tools within the M18 range. It’s also fully compatible with any M18 battery, so you can choose the best battery to suit your needs.
Besides the versatility, this is an efficient hedge trimmer to have nearby. It’s powerful enough to cut branches up to ¾ inches thick at much faster speeds than its competitors. It can last two hours per battery, which is enough time for most people to trim their hedges.
If you have backup batteries, this might benefit your professional use, too. It’s quick and easy to use, even for long periods. The weight is evenly distributed, and the handles are strategically placed to offer you the best balance possible.
It’s also a very durable hedge trimmer. It comes with a fully metal gear case and slider-crank, which help ensure the hedge trimmer lasts for a long time. This is backed by a 3-year warranty.
- 24-inch blade, which is long and generous for quick trimming.
- Blade tip guard minimizes potential damage to the blades.
- Brushless motor ensures power and durability.
- ¾-inch cutting capacity.
- Runs up to two hours per charge.
- Compatible with over 200 M18 tools.
- Weight is a common complaint at 8.6 pounds.
- Handle comes loose because it lacks enough screws.
Makita XNU01Z Pole Hedge Trimmer
Best Pole Hedge Trimmer
A pole saw is an awesome choice if you want something long-handled and flexible.
This Makita option is super cool because it folds in half for easy storage. But when fully extended, it’s 69 inches long from tip to tip. This length allows you to get in super high and hard-to-reach places.
In fact, this is a great option for both home and professional use since your clients will be super happy that you have a tool that can reach high places. It’s also a great option for many of your customers since it is electric — producing zero emissions — and it’s low on noise. They will be happy that you’re protecting the environment around your house and not bugging their neighbors.
While it is battery-powered and, therefore, cordless and easy to use, it does have 80 minutes of run time. This is generous compared to other battery-powered options available, but you’ll need a few backup batteries if used for professional use. You don’t want the battery to die while you’re in the middle of a client’s yard work.
In terms of flexibility, this can be set to six different angles. This allows you good versatility over the task at hand, especially when you consider the overall working range to be 115 degrees.
- 20-inch dual-action blades for quick and easy cutting.
- 80-minute run time per battery.
- 4,400 SPM (spins per minute) to provide quick cutting.
- Six angle settings for your flexibility.
- No harmful gas emissions.
- Battery recharges within 45 minutes.
- More expensive than gas options.
- Battery is not included unless you opt for the more expensive option.
- Almost 12 pounds, so it’s quite heavy.
|Cutting Diameter||Up to 1.5 inches|
Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Best Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Go completely cordless with the Ryobi One+ hedge trimmer. It is battery-powered, so you can say goodbye to annoying cords that get in your way. Instead, say hello to an easy-to-maneuver, eco-friendly option.
It’s an 18-volt machine, which makes it powerful enough to impress you. Despite being compact and lightweight, this is one of the more powerful battery-powered options available. It has a ¾-inch cutting capacity, which is very rare but very welcome!
Customers also love this for tall and long hedges since it has a 22-inch long-bladed, making it easier to reach high and hard-to-reach places. Combine that with the dual-action blades, and you’ll enjoy watching this trimmer slice through thick and tough branches without hassle.
When it comes to comfort, it has a wrap-around handle at the front for your stability and control. But it also has a rotating handle at the back, which allows you to cut your hedges at any angle. So, if versatility is a priority for you, this is definitely an option to consider.
Last but not least, enjoy the Hedge Sweep function, which clears debris and clippings as you go.
- Three-year warranty for your peace of mind.
- 22-inch dual-action blades reduce vibrations.
- Comfortable and practical handles for flexible cutting.
- Up to ¾ inch capacity, which is generous for an electric option.
- Makes 3,000 strokes per minute for fast, easy cuts.
- Cordless design gives you more range.
- Battery and charger are not included; that’s an additional cost.
- Not great for dense hedges.
- Battery life is reportedly as short as 30 minutes.
|Cutting Diameter||Up to ¾ inch|
Black+Decker BEHT100 Hedge Trimmer
Best Lightweight Hedge Trimmer
Not everyone can handle a super heavy hedge trimmer. I know that I certainly couldn’t! If you’re after something lightweight and easy to maneuver, check out this Black+Decker hedge trimmer.
The tool only weighs 4.2 pounds, so not only is it one of the lightest on our list, but of all the hedge trimmers I researched.
It’s a compact and lightweight design, so most folk can use this comfortably. It reduces fatigue overall and allows flexibility if you need to reach up with the tool or go low.
Despite its compact design and lightweight, it’s still a useful and quality hedge trimmer. It comes with a 3.0 amp and cord for powerful and long-running use without any interruptions.
It’s suitable for small hedges, branches, and shrubs up to ⅝ inches thick. So, for these types of greenery in your yard, this is an awesome budget-friendly choice.
Thanks to the dual-action design, the blades will help you cut through these branches easily. This allows for easy cuts with minimal vibration, so you don’t have to experience that weird numbing wrist pain while you use your power tool.
- Full-length trigger for easy pulling.
- Cord retention to prevent accidental unplugging.
- Minimal vibration due to the dual-action blades.
- T-handle for extra control.
- Budget-friendly price point.
- Compact and easier to store.
- Cord must be purchased separately.
- Blades could be sharper.
- Some customers reported the machine overheating.
|Cutting Diameter||Up to ⅝ inch|
Black+Decker BEHT150 Hedge Trimmer
Best Electric Hedge Trimmer
Looking to save money but still get a quality electric hedge trimmer? This Black+Decker trimmer might just tick all your boxes — and more.
First of all, it’s super budget-friendly, costing much less than the average hedge trimmer. You’re getting a lot of bang for your buck with this one. For a power tool, this is pretty incredible.
You’re also opting for an electric option that won’t emit hazardous fumes. But it also plugs in, so you never need to worry about the battery draining while you’re in the middle of an important job.
As for the blades, they’re 17 inches long with a dual-action design for easy and vibration-reduced cutting. They’re also made of hardened steel, which ensures great durability. In fact, you can cut branches up to ⅝ inches thick, which is suitable for most people’s hedges.
There is also a cord retention mechanism that prevents you from accidentally unplugging the machine while you’re working.
Last but not least, customers love the ergonomic design of this power tool. It’s very lightweight with a built-in T-handle for your comfort. Go for longer periods without needing a break since the design is made to reduce fatigue.
- Dual-action blade cuts 2x as many branches at once.
- Budget-friendly electric option.
- Cord retention design to prevent accidental unplugging.
- Ergonomic design made to reduce fatigue.
- Reduced vibrations while working.
- Lightweight (3.9 pounds) and easy to maneuver.
- Safeguard doesn’t stay in place very well.
- You’ll likely need a long extension cord, but this will be a separate purchase.
- Not for heavy-duty work.
|Cutting Diameter||Up to ⅝ inch|
Echo 21.2 cc Hedge Trimmer
Best Gas Hedge Trimmer
Slice through thick branches like butter with the Echo gas hedge trimmer. This professional-level hedge trimmer is great for big jobs, whether at your own home or a customer’s.
Out of all the options on the market, this is one of the most reputable options. It runs on a 21.2cc engine, which allows you to cut branches up to one inch thick, which is pretty unbeatable!
It also has 20-inch blades, which allow you to get into hard-to-reach places on high and long hedges. The blades also have twice the amount of cutting edges as other options on the market, so you’re getting the best cut available to you.
In terms of design, this was made with a zero-type grease fitting and tool-less air filter. In easy terms, this low-maintenance gas option makes the machine’s overall use less of a faff.
For a gas option, this is also pretty lightweight. It only weighs 10 pounds, so it is comfortable enough to use for extended periods. However, you could add a harness or strap if you find yourself struggling.
- Added tip guard to protect the blade.
- Support bar, so you have better control of the product.
- Rear and front handle for added flexibility and control.
- Powerful option for personal or professional use.
- Up to a five-year warranty.
- Durable engine thanks to quality air filter.
- An expensive option that isn’t suitable for everyone’s budget.
- Hard to start and begins quite sluggish.
- Throttle check was faulty on some customers’ purchases.
|Cutting Diameter||1 inch|
WORKPRO 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Enjoy more control when cutting hedges with this trimmer. This comes with a full wrap-around handle, including a front D-shaped handle and a great back handle for comfort and control.
The added control from the front handle also allows you to change your cutting direction. Go vertically, horizontally, or diagonally now.
This is a battery-powered hedge trimmer so that you can go cordless. Increase your maneuverability with this machine, which lasts around one hour on a full charge. This is good for medium and small-sized yards, but you can get backup batteries for larger yards, too.
The hedge trimmer only weighs 4.6 pounds, so it’s lightweight and easy to transport for most people.
As for the blades, enjoy these 20-inch dual-action blades, which move at 1350 strokes per minute, so you can easily trim bushes and hedges with branches up to ⅝ inches thick.
I also love the added handguard that sits in front of the front handle. This ensures that if your hand slips, you’re fully protected from making contact with the blade.
- Ergonomic and comfortable handle that increases control.
- Enjoy cutting in various directions.
- 4.6 pounds, so nice and lightweight for easy maneuverability.
- Handguard protects you from injury.
- Battery charges in one hour.
- Not the best for large yards or thick branches.
- Limited power compared to gas trimmers.
|Cutting Diameter||Up to ⅝ inch|
Greenworks 18-Inch Corded Hedge Trimmer
Best Budget Pick
While I have many options under $120 on this list, this one is even more affordable. If you’re on a budget and don’t want to break the bank, this electric hedge trimmer might be just the thing for you.
It’s a 2.7-amp hedge trimmer, but you can upgrade to the 4-amp option if you’d rather get something more powerful. However, the 2.7-amp option is still enough for quick and efficient cutting.
It has an 18-inch dual-action steel blade for quick cutting, incredible results, and easy maneuverability around your hedges. Plus, the dual-action design ensures that the vibrations are kept to a minimum.
Keep in mind that this has a smaller cutting capacity than some of our other recommendations. It can cut up to ⅜ inches on bushes, shrubs, and hedges. So, if you have thicker branches, this won’t quite make the cut. Literally.
However, if you don’t need something that can cut super thick branches, then keep reading. I also think you’ll love the lightweight design of this machine.
It weighs only 6.2 pounds, so it’s easy to transport around your yard. Even if you’re not the strongest person on the block, this should still be comfortable for you to use.
- Cord lock included preventing accidentally unplugging the trimmer.
- 2.7- and 4-amp options available.
- Dual-action steel blades for durability and minimal vibrations.
- Super budget-friendly option.
- Includes 50-foot extension cord.
- ⅜ inch cutting diameter is on the smaller side.
- Not the most durable option available.
|Cutting Diameter||Up to ⅜ inch|
Echo 2-Stroke Cycle Hedge Trimmer
Best for Thick Branches
This is one of the best options for thick hedges and stubborn branches, with a whopping one-inch cutting diameter. Give your hedge the best haircut of its life with this professional-level hedge trimmer from Echo.
One of the best things about this is that it’s easy to start. Many gas options take a few difficult attempts to get the engine up and running. But this one is built with an i-30 starting system to make starting super easy and effortless.
Once it’s up and running, this option is great for tough, dense brush and large yards. It’s equipped with a double-reciprocating RazorEdge blade. This unique design ensures that you can make quick, clean cuts for a long time, thanks to the blade’s long-lasting durability and edge retention.
This is also an awesome option for personal and professional use. Not only because of the powerful design but because of the warranty. This comes with a 5-year consumer warranty for home use and a 2-year warranty for commercial use.
- Shorter shaft for more control over your cuts.
- Rubberized front handle for complete control.
- Commercial air filter for the product’s durability.
- One-inch cutting diameter makes this suitable for thick branches.
- Five-year warranty for personal use; two-year warranty for commercial.
- Three cutting edges on the blade for better cuts.
- The weight isn’t balanced very well.
- Some customers reported the machine overheated easily.
|Cutting Diameter||1 inch|
Sun Joe Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
Best Telescoping Hedge Trimmer
Enjoy working with extra flexibility when you choose a telescoping hedge trimmer. This one from Sun Joe extends from 3.8 feet to 5.9 feet, providing up to 13 feet overall reach. This is ideal for cutting high hedges and getting into hard-to-reach places while still having a relatively short option where necessary.
When you need to cut low, remove the cutting head and handle to create a handheld hedge trimmer. This process only takes a few seconds. Overall, this is an awesome option for a variety of hedges.
When it comes to the blades, you’ll find 19-inch dual-action blades. This allows you to make clean and easy cuts without added effort from you. The dual-action design also reduces vibration by up to 40 percent as well. These varying features ensure that you have the easiest user experience possible.
Something To Note
This tool is also compatible with the GTS4000E-8CS-CGY Chain Saw Attachment. So, if you’re also looking for a chainsaw, this is a great option.
- 4.5-amp motor for great power.
- Pivoting head from -20 to 60 degrees.
- Handheld and pole option: 2-in-1.
- Suitable for both large and small hedges, shrubs, and bushes.
- Reasonable price point.
- Pole adjusts from 3.8 to 5.9 feet.
- Top-heavy; at 9.5 pounds, some customers found it difficult to use.
- You may need two people to operate it when extended.
|Cutting Diameter||0.7 inches|
|Milwaukee M18 Brushless Cordless Hedge Trimmer||Versatile||Battery-powered||24-inch double-sided||1 inch||8.6 pounds||$$$|
|Makita XNU01Z Pole Hedge Trimmer||Pole Hedge Trimmer||Battery-powered||20-inch dual-action||Up to 1.5 inches||11.77 pounds||$$$$|
|Ryobi ONE+ Cordless Hedge Trimmer||Cordless Hedge Trimmer||Battery-powered||22-inch dual-action||Up to ¾ inch||6.3 pounds||$|
|Black+Decker BEHT100 Hedge Trimmer||Lightweight Hedge Trimmer||Electric||16-inch dual-action||Up to ⅝ inch||4.2 pounds||$|
|Black+Decker BEHT150 Hedge Trimmer||Electric Hedge Trimmer||Electric||17-inch dual-action||Up to ⅝ inch||3.9 pounds||$|
|Echo 21.2 cc Hedge Trimmer||Gas Hedge Trimmer||Gas||20-inch double-sided||1 inch||10 pounds||$$$|
|WORKPRO 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer||Ergonomic||Battery-powered||20-inch dual-action||Up to ⅝ inch||4.63 pounds||$|
|Greenworks 18-Inch Corded Hedge Trimmer||Budget Pick||Electric||18-inch dual-action||Up to ⅜ inch||6.2 pounds||$|
|Echo 2-Stroke Cycle Hedge Trimmer||For Thick Branches||Gas||21-inch dual-action||1 inch||12.3 pounds||$$$$|
|Sun Joe Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer||Telescoping Hedge Trimmer||Electric||19-inch dual-action||0.7 inches||9.5 pounds||$|
Types of Hedge Trimmers
There are three main types of hedge trimmers: gas, corded electric, and battery. Each has its pros and cons, so make sure you’re clued up on these before committing to one type.
Gas trimmers are the most powerful out of the three categories. If you have tough and stubborn hedges, bushes, and shrubs, you may want to consider a gas option.
These trimmers run on gas and oil, so keep in mind that they’re not the most environmentally friendly. They’re also pricier than the other options.
- Most powerful options.
- Great for tough and thick hedges.
- Largest cutting diameter, with many going up to one inch.
- Requires less manual effort while cutting.
- Naturally cordless, making them easy to maneuver.
- Finish jobs quickly, saving you time.
- Heavier than electric and cordless by at least a few pounds.
- More expensive than electric and cordless, by up to 10 times.
- Not eco-friendly since they emit fumes.
Electric hedge trimmers are more eco-friendly, so if that’s important to you — these are a good option. They plug into an outlet, so you never have to worry about them running out of charge or oil. They’re also quieter, lighter, and more budget-friendly than their gas counterparts.
Note that they’re not as powerful as gas. If you have many thick branches to cut through, these may not be the right option for you.
- Eco-friendly since they run on electricity.
- Quiet and lightweight for user’s comfort.
- More budget-friendly, often costing between $50 and $120.
- Cutting diameter up to about half an inch.
- Simply not as powerful as gas options.
- Not suitable for large yards.
- Not cordless, so the cord can get in your way.
Battery-powered hedge trimmers are just that: battery-powered. That means they’re totally cordless, freeing you up regarding maneuverability.
These handy and portable options are great if you want more freedom while trimming. However, keep in mind that you’ll need to recharge the battery whenever it runs out of charge.
- Totally cordless for easy maneuverability.
- Lightweight, often weighing less than eight pounds.
- Inexpensive, usually costing less than $120.
- Eco-friendly since they don’t emit hazardous fumes.
- Many options available.
- Battery life — usually between 30 minutes and two hours — can become frustrating.
- Battery recharge can take a few hours.
- Not as powerful as gas options.
How To Choose the Best Hedge Trimmers
No two hedge trimmers are the same. Each customer will have personal preferences and specific needs.
So it’s important to find one that ticks all your boxes. Here are the top details to consider before clicking “buy.”