Nobody wants a home that smells bad. It’s uninviting, embarrassing and can prevent you from thoroughly relaxing.
To eliminate and mask foul odors, you need one of the best air fresheners available. With hundreds of options on the market, it can be hard to find the right one. We’ve done the hard work for you: narrowing it down to the top 10 air fresheners.
After researching real customer reviews and expert advice, we created a comprehensive list. We prioritized the air freshener’s ability, scent, strength, and what room size it works best in. With that in mind, you’re sure to find a new air freshener to spruce up your home and tackle bad smells.
- Safe for children & pets
- Removes odors & toxins
- Works with essential oils
- Adjustable brightness
- Long lasting
- Natural essential oils
- Comes with two warmers
- No artificial fragrances
- Safe for linen & furniture
- Safe for pets
- Traps & removes odors
- Great for traveling
- Safe for pets
- Eliminates odors
- Has a timer
- Flexible control settings
- Long-lasting scent
- Gentle scent
- Natural freshener
- Eliminates pet & other odors
- Pleasant, subtle scent
- Natural freshener
There’s no need to spend hours searching the internet for the best air freshener for your needs. We’ve made a list of the top air fresheners broken down into different categories. We looked deep into customer reviews, expert advice and, of course, applied our own experience with various air fresheners.
You’ll be paired with your perfect match in no time, and soon, your house will smell as good as new!
1. Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bags
Best Natural Air Freshener
Here’s something new for you to try out: charcoal air-purifying bags! They’re natural, eco-friendly, and effective.
These bags are made from 100 percent activated bamboo charcoal, which has the power to remove odor and toxins from the air (1). The bags don’t have any odor themselves, so if you’re not a fan of scents, this might be a good option.
You can keep these in the house or pop them in your car, gym bag, shoes, pet litter, or fridge.
This is a safe option for people who have pets or children. You’ll also save money because these bags last up to two years. You can rejuvenate the bamboo charcoal by leaving it in the sun for an hour.
Something To Note
- Eco-friendly with minimal waste.
- Safe for children and pets.
- Long-lasting — just recharge monthly.
- Removes odors and toxins.
- Odorless and unscented.
- Great for any area of the home or even your car.
- No scented option.
- They need to be recharged in sunlight monthly.
- Not the best for strong odors, like urine or cigarette smoke.
|Item Weight||5.3 ounces|
|Dimensions||8.7 x 11.18 x 3.2 inches|
|Available colors or scents||Gray|
2. InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser
Best Electric Air Freshener
An electric oil diffuser is one of our favorite items to have in the home. Not only is it a safer, more eco-friendly option, but it’s totally relaxing. We love turning ours on when watching a movie or going to sleep.
To use one of these, you’ll need essential oils to go with it. If you have pets, make sure to check out the toxic essential oils for them. Otherwise, different essential oils have different benefits.
Whether you’re looking for your air freshener to scent your home or destress you, you should use the appropriate oil.
This electric air freshener has two misting modes. You can have it on for six to eight hours or three to four hours. It also comes with a mood light that works in eight colors. The brightness can also be adjusted.
- Eco-friendly and safe option.
- Works with essential oils.
- Flexible timer options.
- Relaxing, especially overnight.
- Five color options available.
- Compact size, easy to move from room to room.
- Uses electricity.
- Some essential oils are toxic to pets.
- The water tank is small and empties quickly.
- Some customers found it quite loud.
|Item Weight||7.04 ounces|
|Dimensions||3.9 x 5.5 x 3.9 inches|
|Available colors or scents||White, Bronze, White Gray, Brown, and Yellow|
3. Air Wick Plug-In Freshener
Best for Entire Home
The Air Wick Plug-In freshener is a great option for your home. It comes with two warmers to evenly distribute the scents throughout your home. This is perfect if you want an air freshener upstairs and downstairs.
This air freshener is naturally scented with essential oils. It also emits a lovely lavender and chamomile scent with hints of wood. You can use it in any room of your home, so long as there is a plug.
Each refill lasts 60 days, so this is an excellent option if you use an air freshener often. It comes with six refill packs. One purchase provides 360 days of continual fragrance throughout your home.
Some customers have remarked on the extreme strength of this scent. So, if you’re keen on more subtle scents, this air freshener might not work for you.
- One purchase lasts for 360 days.
- Contains natural essential oils.
- Comes with two warmers so that you can use them upstairs and downstairs.
- Available in other scent options.
- The packaging is recyclable.
- Five settings and 360-degree diffusion.
- Lavender is toxic to cats.
- Very strongly scented.
- Although the scent is strong, it fades quickly.
|Item Weight||1.88 pounds|
|Dimensions||9.4 x 9.4 x 5.2 inches|
|Available colors or scents||Lavender and Chamomile, Apple Cinnamon, Fresh Linen, Hibiscus, or Vanilla|
4. Positive Essence Room Spray
Best for Large Rooms
When it comes to large rooms, the best option is a spray. You get total control of the distribution of the air freshener. Simply walk around the room and spray it into the air.
With this room spray, you can even spray it onto linen and furniture to freshen it up.
Made with essential oils, this is another natural alternative. It comes in many different scents, including lemongrass, coconut, and vanilla. If you have pets, do your research first to ensure the essential oils are safe for them.
These bottles are hand-blended, ensuring they are of the highest quality possible. When it comes to freshening the air of a large room, these really are unbeatable products!
- No artificial fragrances.
- You control where to spray.
- 12 relaxing scent options.
- Many are safe for pets.
- You can spray furniture and linen.
- Includes a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
- The scent is quite subtle.
- Many complaints about lavender and eucalyptus scents.
|Item Weight||5.3 ounces|
|Dimensions||1.5 x 1.5 x 6.3 inches|
|Available colors or scents||Lemongrass, Carnation, Coconut, Eucalyptus and Wild Mint, Lavender, Mandarin Orange, Peppermint, Pink Grapefruit, Rose, Rosemary, Tulip, and Vanilla|
5. Muse Apothecary Flush Ritual Toilet Spray
Best Bathroom Air Freshener
Let’s not sugarcoat it. Bathrooms can get really stinky. There’s a way around it: to stop the odors before they get into the air.
The best bathroom air freshener is toilet sprays which trap odors in the toilet water and then flush them away. The Muse Apothecary Toilet Spray traps and removes odors so you can go to the bathroom discreetly.
Before you use the toilet, all you need to do is spray this into the water in the toilet bowl several times. Do your business and leave the bathroom lingering with your chosen scent.
These are great for traveling, public restrooms, work restrooms, and your home bathroom. It leaves a lovely aloe, eucalyptus, and lavender scent behind.
- Beautifully scented with natural fragrance.
- Traps and removes odors.
- Great for traveling or taking to work.
- Prevents bathrooms from getting stinky.
- Up to 400 uses per bottle.
- The scent isn’t strong enough for some customers.
|Item Weight||8 ounces|
|Dimensions||6.61 x 4.84 x 2.48 inches|
|Available colors or scents||Aloe, Eucalyptus, and Lavender|
6. Ambi Pur Pet Air Freshener
Best Air Freshener for Pets
If you’ve got pets, you’re no stranger to the unpleasant odors they can sometimes bring. Whether they’re in from a muddy walk or need grooming, they can stink out the house. Thankfully, there are some excellent pet air fresheners, including the Ambi Pur.
It’s important to do your research before buying any air fresheners in case they’re toxic for your fur babies. This one is designed for pets by Febreze and is totally safe.
It cleans away the tough pet odors and replaces them with a light scent. These plug-in air fresheners last for up to 90 days. Customers describe the scent as light, floral, and not overpowering.
- Safe for pets.
- Long-lasting up to 90 days.
- Eliminates odors rather than masking.
- The scent is not too overpowering.
- Doesn’t come with a plug-in.
|Item Weight||1.4 pounds|
|Dimensions||3.8 x 1.3 x 6.2 inches|
|Available colors or scents||Blue, cream, and green|
7. Svavo Automatic LCD Fragrance Dispenser
Best Automatic Air Freshener
The Svavo Automatic LCD Fragrance Dispenser is a top choice if you’re looking for an automatic air freshener. You can set the timer to emit the fragrance at intervals between one and 60 minutes. Sit back, relax, and let the fragrance fill the room.
This can be mounted on the wall or freestanding. You can also choose your preferred fragrance level, so if you’re sensitive to scent strength, this is a winner.
Lastly, you can change the settings depending on the days of the week. The modes available are Monday to Friday, Monday to Saturday, and Monday to Sunday.
- Works on a timer between one and 60 minutes.
- Flexible control settings using the LCD display.
- Range of fragrance options.
- Long-lasting scent for small and large areas.
- Works free-standing or mounted to the wall.
- Safety lock included.
- Hard to set up.
- No pet-safe option.
- You have to buy specific air freshener cans.
|Item Weight||1.04 pounds|
|Dimensions||9.7 x 3.7 x 3.6 inches|
|Available colors or scents||Grey, black and white|
8. Viois Rose & Lavender Aromatherapy Air Freshener
Best for Office
When looking for an air freshener for your office, you don’t want one that’s too strong. The best option is something designed for smaller spaces, like the Rose & Lavender Aromatherapy Air Freshener.
It’s a natural air freshener made with essential oils and designed for small spaces. There are no chemicals, and it’s non-toxic, so it’s a safe and eco-friendly option.
All you need to do is shake the jar and put it on your desk. It will gently fill the area with the chosen scent. If you’re not keen on rose and lavender, there are other options, like Orange and Citrus.
If you like stronger scents, this might not work for you. Customers describe the scent as subtle and gentle, and some don’t notice the scent at all.
However, those who enjoy the smell describe it as clean, light, and heavenly.
- Eco-friendly with minimal waste and no harsh chemicals.
- Gentle scent is safe for the office.
- Multiple scent options to choose from.
- Natural and non-toxic formula.
- Suitable for cars, bathrooms, closets, and other small spaces.
- Easy to use.
- Scent may be too subtle.
- Needs to be replaced often, perhaps monthly.
- Short scent throw.
|Item Weight||7.7 ounces|
|Dimensions||2.75 x 2.75 x 2.25 inches|
|Available colors or scents||Rose and lavender, Orange and Citrus, Lavender, Rosemary and Mint|
9. The Anywhere Odor Eliminator
Best Air Freshener for Smoke
No one likes the lingering smell of smoke in their home, especially non-smokers. If you live with a smoker or are one yourself, it’s essential to eliminate the smoky smell.
Thankfully, there are many options, but the Anywhere Odor Eliminator is a top choice.
This was specifically designed to deal with cigarette smoke and is great at eliminating odors. It’s great for small spaces, but you can get a couple to tackle larger areas. All you do is twist the top open and sit it in a room where it will act fast and last long.
You can even use the twisting top function to control the strength of the scent. This is a good option if you’re looking for something to deal with smoke odors.
- Designed for smoke odors.
- Eliminates pet and general odors.
- Pleasant, subtle scent.
- You can control the scent levels.
- Isn’t effective in large rooms.
- It only works for a few weeks before you need a replacement.
|Item Weight||5.4 ounces|
|Dimensions||2.6 x 2.1 x 2.8 inches|
|Available colors or scents||Blue|
10. Car Aromatherapy Essential Oils Air Freshener
Best Car Air Freshener
If you eat in the car, drive a lot, have pets in your car, or have kids, having a car air freshener is a lifesaver.
The Car Aromatherapy Essential Oils Air Freshener is a great natural option. They clip onto the air vents in your car and emit lovely scents throughout. Essential oils also help you relax, which can be really beneficial after a long day of work or being stuck in traffic.
To use, put a couple of drops of your favorite essential oils onto the pads. The oils are not included, but investing in a good essential oil will come in handy in your home. Close the clip and attach it to the air vents. It will naturally scent your car with or without the air vents being on.
- Natural since you use your own essential oils.
- 60 reusable and washable pads.
- Destress you while driving.
- Four included for surrounding scent.
- Easy to set up in your car.
- Essential oils are not included.
- You have to reapply the oils every few days.
|Item Weight||3.35 ounces|
|Dimensions||6 x 2.52 x 1.34 inches|
|Available colors or scents||Black, yellow, purple, white, orange, blue, green, red|
|Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bags||Natural Air Freshener||No||Yes||5.3 ounces||8.7 x 11.18 x 3.2″|
|InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser||Electric Air Freshener||Yes||Yes||7.04 oz||3.9 x 5.5 x 3.9″|
|Air Wick Plug-In Freshener||For Entire Home||Yes||Yes||1.88 lbs||9.4 x 9.4 x 5.2″|
|Positive Essence Room Spray||For Large Rooms||No||Yes||5.3 oz||1.5 x 1.5 x 6.3″|
|Muse Bath Apothecary||Bathroom Air Freshener||No||Yes||8 oz||6.61 x 4.84 x 2.48″|
|Ambi Pur Pet Air Freshener||Air Freshener for Pets||Yes||No||1.4 lbs||3.8 x 1.3 x 6.2″|
|Svavo LCD Fragrance Dispenser||Automatic Air Freshener||Yes||No||1.04 lbs||9.7 x 3.7 x 3.6″|
|Viois Rose & Lavender Aromatherapy||For Office||No||Yes||7.7 oz||2.75 x 2.75 x 2.25″|
|The Anywhere Odor Eliminator||Air Freshener for Smoke||No||No||5.4 oz||2.6 x 2.1 x 2.8″|
|Car Aromatherapy Essential Oils||Car Air Freshener||No||Yes||3.35 oz||6 x 2.52 x 1.34″|
Types of Air Fresheners
There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to air fresheners. There are many different types, including:
- Plug-Ins: These air fresheners can be directly plugged into an outlet where they will emit fragrance on a timer. They are generally long-lasting and don’t use too much electricity.
- Diffusers: With a diffuser, you add some water and essential oil to the tank before turning on the device. This emits a natural fragrance. Plus, essential oils have many health benefits.
- Air Fan: These little air fresheners are great for your car. You attach them to your car’s fan, and the air blows the fragrance into the vehicle.
- Reed Diffusers: These air fresheners use reeds to dispense essential oils into a room. They last a long time, but they might not have the best scent throw after a few days.
- Aroma Beads: These handy beads are easy to use. All you need to do is place them in a bag, then put them in a room you want to freshen up. They work amazingly in small spaces, like bathrooms or closets.
- Air Purifying Bags: If you want something completely natural, charcoal bags can eliminate odors. They also remove toxins. If you want something unscented, this is a fantastic option.
- Mist Spray: Mist sprays are great for homes because you decide how much spray you want to disperse. Plus, they come in tons of scent options, including ones without any artificial fragrances.
Things to Consider (Buying Guide)
With all these different types of air fresheners, how do you choose the best one for you? There are a few things to consider that will help you make the right choice for your home.
How Can I Make My House Smell Good All the Time?
There is something relaxing about coming home to a clean-smelling house. While air fresheners can help, they aren’t the solution to having a clean home. They are just extra. Here are some things you can do to ensure your house always smells good.
1. Keep Your House Clean
Vacuum your floors. Steam your floors. Keep on top of your laundry.
Do your dishes. Clean the bathroom regularly. Put away muddy shoes and wet coats.
These simple steps will help you have pure, clean air in the home.
2. Clean Your Garbage Disposal
It might be worth cleaning your garbage disposal if you can’t locate that funky smell in your kitchen.
To do this, get lemon and orange peels and put them in ice cube trays in the freezer. When they’re frozen, run them through your garbage disposal for a natural cleanse.
3. Clean Your Carpets With Baking Soda
Carpets are a huge culprit of bad smells in the house. Before you pull out the air freshener, get to the root of the problem by cleaning your carpets.
Sprinkle baking soda across your carpets, leave for 15 minutes, and then vacuum. This will eliminate foul odors in your home!
4. Deal With Moisture
Moisture leaves a bad smell around your home. If you can’t find a solution to a damp or moldy smell in your home, there’s a good chance there’s moisture somewhere. For best results, contact a professional.
However, it could just be that you need to change out your sponges, towels, and dishcloths. Investing in a dehumidifier is also a good idea if you live in a humid area.
5. Open Your Windows
Finally, it’s a good idea to open your windows every day. This circulates air and removes any bad or strong odors within your home. It’s not ideal in the winter, but totally worth it if you have a lingering smell you want to eliminate.