A garbage disposal is a handy way to break down food waste and dispose of it. But of course, a system like this can get pretty dirty and smelly.
That’s why we’re here to recommend the best garbage disposal cleaners. These bad boys tackle bad smells, food waste, and bacteria build-up.
We spent hours researching dozens of products, expert advice, and real customer reviews to create this list. We studied each product’s ease of use, ingredients, odor-fighting abilities, and whether it was septic-safe. Get ready to find an amazing solution for your garbage disposal smells.
- 100% natural ingredients
- Reduces odors
- Fights bad odors
- Easy to use
- Fresh lemon scent
- Biodegradable packets
- Cleans hard-to-reach places
- Works in a couple of minutes
- Unclogs drains quickly
- Safe on pvc & metal pipes
- Multi-purpose uses around the house
- Universal fit for all garbage disposals
- Helps with built-up food
- Easy to use & rotate
- Convenient pod design
- Natural ingredients & scents
- Fights odors and loosens grime
- Thick foam cleans hard-to-reach places
- Saves money
- Fights bad odors
We’ve spent hours researching garbage disposal cleaners. In addition to studying expert advice and reading customer reviews, we’ve applied our own insight. We have combined our list of the seven best garbage disposal cleaners below.
Check out these spectacular cleaners now.
1. BioWonder Septic Tank Treatment
Best Natural Garbage Disposal Cleaner
Many garbage disposal cleaners use some natural ingredients. However, the BioWonder Septic Tank Treatment uses 100 percent natural ingredients.
This amazing product has multiple uses, so you can use it for all kinds of jobs. Of course, it works wonders in garbage disposals. It attacks bad odors and even eliminates drain flies.
However, you can also use it in septic tanks, sinks, toilets, showers, floor drains, porta-potties and much more.
BioWonder contains three billion CFU (bacteria per gram) and six unique strains of bacteria to give you the deepest clean of your septic system. This is about three times more powerful than other septic treatments.
Customers absolutely love how well this works to fix clogs and reduce odors. With BioWonder, your garbage disposal will look (and smell) brand new again!
- 100% natural ingredients.
- Multi-purpose — you can use in toilets, showers and more.
- Three times more powerful than other septic treatments.
- Reduces odors inside your drains.
- 60 uses per pack, saving you money.
- You must wait six hours before using drains again.
|Number of Uses||60|
2. Plink Garbage Disposer Cleaner and Deodorizer
Best Deodorizing Cleaner
Bad smells getting you down? Embarrassed when you have guests over? Then you need the Plink Garbage Disposal Cleaner and Deodorizer tablets!
These tablets are designed by plumbers and begin working in just seconds. They break open to fight bad odors in the garbage disposal unit. Then they dissolve fatty deposits and break up food particles which both prevents clogging and attacks the source of bad smells.
To use, run a gentle stream of warm water. Add the Plink ball to the garbage disposal, and turn it on. In seconds, it will fight odors and clean your unit. Not only will it make your unit smell clean, but it will also make your whole kitchen smell incredible.
- Fights bad odors.
- Easy to use.
- Fresh lemon scent.
- Dissolves fatty deposits.
- Designed by plumbers.
- Works in seconds.
- May need to use a few to get the scent strong enough.
- Safety warnings include skin irritation, flammable vapor and allergic reaction.
- Scent may only last a few minutes.
|Ingredients||Synthetic and natural blend|
|Number of Uses||40|
3. Glisten Disposer Care Cleaner
The Glisten Disposer Care Cleaners come in a powder form, but they’re pre-packaged for ultimate convenience. Simply drop the little packets into your garbage disposal. Turn on the water and the garbage disposal.
The cleaner will start to foam which means it’s working. When the foam subsides after about two minutes, that means the job is finished. Super quick and convenient!
This product uses a bleach alternative to deeply clean the disposer and drain pipes.
The packages are biodegradable, so you don’t need to worry about them clogging up your pipes. In fact, the packets actually have a bonus purpose. They scrub tough grunge and build-up from the unit to give it a good clean and reduce odors.
Overall, these Glisten Care Cleaner packs freshen and clean your disposer, leaving behind a fresh scent.
- Convenient packets that are biodegradable.
- Cleans hard-to-reach places.
- Lovely lemon scent.
- Works in a couple of minutes.
- Great alternative to bleach.
- Removes bacteria and grunge.
- Only four bags per back.
- Don’t reduce odors as well as some other products.
- The results aren’t very long-lasting.
|Type||Powder (in packs)|
|Ingredients||45% natural ingredients|
|Number of Uses||Four|
4. Drano Max Gel Drain Clog Remover
If liquid cleaning products are your go-to, you’ll love the Drano Max Gel Drain Clog Remover. Its powerful cleaning ability can unclog drains quickly.
It cuts through water and goes straight to the problem to break up the clog. It works for PVC, metal pipes, garbage disposals, and septic systems.
Although many liquids require an overnight treatment, the Drano Gel works in as little as 15 minutes. So you can go from a dirty garbage disposal to a spotless one in a short time.
Not that you have hair in your garbage disposal, but this product is strong enough to break up hair clogs. So imagine what it can do to the food, bacteria, and dirt build up in your garbage disposal. Plus, this multi-purpose product is great to have in the house because it works in all other drains!
Just note that this is an expensive product because you need to use ⅕ of the bottle each time you use it.
- Unclogs drains quickly.
- Safe on PVC and metal pipes, as well as septic systems.
- Works in as little as 15 minutes.
- Multi-purpose uses around the house.
- It can penetrate standing water.
- Expensive price point.
- Super overwhelming scent.
|Ingredients||Synthetic, also includes bleach|
|Odor||It does not fight odors|
|Number of Uses||Five|
5. Mr. Scrappy Universal Garbage Disposal Brush
Best Cleaning Brush
The useful Mr Scrappy cleaning brush can attack food waste residue in any garbage disposal unit. Removing food waste residue can immediately help with bad odors, which is a great way to clean units and eliminate bad smells.
The sturdy cleaning bristles are stiff enough to break up stubborn and stinky debris inside the unit. Of course, you will need to rinse away the debris after using the brush. For that purpose, we recommend pairing this brush with another one of our cleaning solutions.
We think you’ll love the design of this brush. It’s 11 inches long to fit into all garbage disposal units.
The handle is sturdy and short, which gives you maximum control. You can easily rotate the brush for maximum cleaning.
Even if you’ve been using a strong cleaning solution for a while, you’ll be surprised by how much extra gunk this brush removes.
- Universal fit for all garbage disposals.
- Helps with built-up food, bacteria, and odors.
- Easy to use and rotate.
- Works great in conjunction with a cleaning solution.
- Stiff cleaning brushes provide a deep clean.
- 11 inches long fit far into a disposal unit.
- Hard to maneuver it into hard-to-reach spaces.
- Debris and dirt fly around when you pull it out the sink. Remove slowly.
|Odor||Fights odors by removing food buildup|
|Number of Uses||N/A|
6. Grab Green Natural Garbage Disposal Cleaner
The Grab Green pods are very convenient for cleaning your garbage disposal. They remove odors, loosen grime and prevent future clogging.
They’re naturally scented with a thyme and fig leaf aroma, which will smell great in the kitchen! In fact, the ingredients are natural so you can say goodbye to toxic chemicals.
These convenient pre-measured pods are highly effective and save hassle for you. Simply run some warm water and put the pod in the garbage disposal. Then let it run for a few minutes before turning on the garbage disposal.
Overall, customers adore how clean their kitchens smell after using these! So, if your garbage disposal is causing bad smells throughout your home — this is the way to go.
- Convenient pod design.
- Natural ingredients and scents.
- Fights odors and loosens grime.
- Helps prevent clogging.
- Lovely thyme and fig scent.
- The scent doesn’t last long.
- Doesn’t foam up, so won’t hit hard-to-reach places.
|Odor||Fights odors, four scent options|
|Number of Uses||12 pods per pack|
7. Sani Sticks 360 Garbage Disposal Cleaner Kit
Best Garbage Disposal Cleaning Kit
Save your pennies by buying a garbage disposal cleaning kit. We recommend the Sai Sticks 360 kit for the ultimate deep clean.
What’s included? First, a fantastic enzyme-based foam cleaner. The enzymes remove odor and organic build-up in the garbage disposal unit. This includes the sidewalls, blades, splash guard and drains.
The thick foam expands and deeply cleans hard-to-reach areas. You can either choose a lemon, lavender or unscented option. The lavender and lemon options use essential oils to help deodorize the unit and leave behind a fresh scent.
It comes with a handy brush, too. Simply insert it down the garbage disposal to scrape and scrub off build-up, providing an overall deeper clean. Once you’ve used the foam and the brush, simply turn on the tap to rinse away the solution.
- You save money buying a kit.
- Thick foam expands to clean hard-to-reach areas.
- Enzyme formula fights odors quickly.
- Fresh lemon scent made with essetnial oils.
- The brush doesn’t fit all disposal units.
- The brush is poor quality and the handle breaks easily.
|Ingredients||Mix of synthetic and natural ingredients|
|Number of Uses||8-10|
|Product||Best||Type||Ingredients||Septic Safe||Odor||Number of Uses|
|BioWonder Septic Tank Treatment||Natural Garbage Disposal Cleaner||Powder||Natural||Yes||Fights odors||60|
|Plink Garbage Disposer Cleaner & Deodorizer||Deodorizing Cleaner||Tablets||Synthetic & natural||Yes||Fights odors||40|
|Glisten Disposer Care Cleaner||Powder||Powder (in packs)||45% natural||Yes||Fights odors||4|
|Drano Max Gel Drain Clog Remover||Liquid||Liquid||Synthetic, including bleach||Yes||It does not fight odors||5|
|Mr. Scrappy Universal Garbage Disposal Brush||Cleaning Brush||Brush||None||N/A||Fights odors by removing food buildup||N/A|
|Grab Green Natural Garbage Disposal Cleaner||Pods||Pods||Natural||Yes||Fights odors, four scent options||12|
|Sani Sticks 360 Garbage Disposal Cleaner Kit||Garbage Disposal Cleaning Kit||Kit||Mix of synthetic & natural||Yes||Fights odors||8-10|
How Often Should You Clean Your Garbage Disposal?
Aim to clean your garbage disposal once a week, but at least every two weeks. If you’re going to be out of town for a little while, always clean your garbage disposal before you go. Otherwise, food that’s sitting in there can start to rot.
Types of Garbage Disposal Cleaners
There are a few different types of cleaners, so you can find something that is easiest and most effective for you.
Tablets and Pods
Tablets and pods are the easiest to use. Simply drop the pod into the garbage disposal, run warm water, turn the unit on, and let the pod do the hard work!
We recommend doing this weekly, which won’t be too difficult with pods. Pods are also usually cheaper than liquid cleaners.
- Super easy to use.
- Minimal effort required from you.
- Cheaper than liquid cleaners.
- Starts working in seconds.
- Many options available.
- Sometimes the scent isn’t very long-lasting.
Liquid garbage disposal cleaner is also easy to use, although it’s more expensive. However, it’s excellent for clogs and its thick consistency helps to unblock the system.
Simply pour the recommended amount down the drain and wait. This varies depending on the brand, but it works best overnight, so you need to plan ahead.
- Easy to use.
- Great for unclogging garbage disposals.
- Many septic-safe options.
- Works quickly.
- Many are multi-purpose.
- More expensive than other optios.
- You might need to wait a while to use your drain again.
Brushes are great for loosening dirt, food waste, bacteria, and debris inside your garbage disposal.
We like that they’re easy to use and super affordable. They work best in conjunction with a chemical cleaner, as the brushes themselves don’t come with any cleaning solution. So while it might tidy up your garbage disposal, it doesn’t do a deep clean.
- Amazing for breaking up clogs.
- Affordable price point.
- Removes build-up inside the garbage disposal.
- Universal fits.
- Easy to use.
- Works best in conjunction with cleaning solution, which you may need to purcahse separately.
- Can be hard to clean in hard-to-reach spots.
- Debris might flick off when you remove from the drain.
Powder garbage disposal cleaners aren’t as common. They usually come in little packets to ensure the correct amount and maximum convenience for the user.
Depending on the manufacturer’s instructions, they work similar to pods. Just place them over your garbage disposal and run water. Similar to liquid, powder is a more expensive choice.
- Easy to use.
- Often come pre-measured for convenience.
- Many use natural ingredients.
- Might be multi-purpose.
- Great for tackling odors.
- Can be expensive.
- Not as many options available.
- You might need to wait a while to use the drain again.
A garbage disposal cleaning kit comes with a cleaning solution and a brush. This means you can save a bit of money and also get products that work well together. This ensures a deep clean since the solution can loosen dirt and kill bacteria, while the brush can scrap away loosened debris.
- Includes brush and cleaning solution.
- Saves you money.
- Allows for a deep clean, removing dirt and bacteria.
- Brush can be cleaned and reused.
- The brush might not be the highest quality.
What to Look For (Buying Guide)
What details should you consider when shopping for a garbage disposal cleaner? We’ve outlined them below.