There’s nothing like a bunch of tasty snacks while road-tripping. But it can quickly mess up your car.
That’s why having one of the best car trash cans is important. With many options on the list, choosing one can be overwhelming.
That’s why we have created a comprehensive list of the best of the best. Whether you want a stylish one, one with compartments, or one to fit in your small car — we’ve got you covered. We spent hours researching dozens of products, their size, features, material, and how you can use them in your car.
With that in mind, here are 10 car trash can options to minimize mess within your vehicle.
- Closed lid & small opening
- Removable & reusable inner liner
- Can be hung anywhere
- No-tip technology
- Can be placed anywhere
- 1.4-gallon capacity
- Easy to open the lid while driving
- Compact & unobtrusive
- Food grade silicone and dishwasher-safe
- Leakproof design
- Spring frame closure keeps lid shut
- Three gallon capacity
- Two-gallon capacity
- Three side pockets for extra storage
- Lid included with small opening for trash
- One-gallon capacity
- Waterproof & leak proof
- Can be placed anywhere
- Budget-friendly price point
- Compact & leakproof
- Reusable inner liner
- Waterproof and leakproof
- Large capacity
- Easy to clean
- Five compartments with trash bin
- Lockable top with hole for trash
- High quality Oxford cloth material
- Leak-proof material
- Remains stable while driving
Review Methodology: At Oh So Spotless, we believe in providing you with the most reliable and trustworthy information on the best car trash cans. Our team of professionals conducts thorough research, hands-on testing, and in-depth analysis to evaluate the performance, design choices, and user experience of each product. We compare and rank car trash cans based on key decision-making factors such as durability, capacity, ease of use, and odor control. By examining the data and results from our assessments, we identify what sets each product apart from its competitors, and provide you with first-hand evidence on the top-performing car trash cans. Our goal is to help you make informed decisions and choose the perfect car trash can that meets your needs and expectations.
The Best Car Trash Cans of 2023
We’ve spent hours looking at real customer reviews, product descriptions as well as applying our own insight. With this information, we have the best car trash cans to recommend to you today!
Meet our top 10 picks.
Quarkace Car Trash Can
Best for Parents
As a parent, you’ll be familiar with the mess your car can accumulate.
Also — the thought of having a trash can in a moving vehicle might seem terrifying. What if the kids spill it? Or start to play in the trash?
Well, with the Quarkace trash can, you can rest assured that won’t happen. First, the lid velcros shut, so the kids never need to open it. To insert the trash, they simply need to squeeze it through the opening hole at the top.
This design ensures that trash won’t fall out if your kid bumps into the can or if you are driving around tight corners.
Another feature that parents love is the removable inner liner. Lift it out of the can and empty it into the outdoor trash can. Simply clean the trash can with water before reusing it again!
Lastly, it’s made with waterproof Oxford fabric. So even if a drink spills inside, it won’t mess up your car.
- Two side pockets for storing wipes and trash bags.
- Closed lid and small opening for trash.
- Removable and reusable inner liner — saves plastic waste.
- Can be hung anywhere in the car for ultimate convenience.
- Waterproof and leakproof Oxford fabric.
- Easy to fold for storage.
- Older kids will know how to undo the velcro, so might create more mess.
- Quite large for smaller cars.
|Dimensions||9.5 x 5.5 x 9.5 inches|
|Features||Two side pockets, removable and reusable inner liner, velcro lock|
|Material||Waterproof Oxford cloth|
HauseSimple Spill-Proof Auto Trash Can
Best Plastic Can
Plastic trash cans are durable and easy to clean, even if they’re not the most budget-friendly of our options. However, the HauseSimple Spill-Proof Auto Trash Can is worth the slightly higher price tag.
It has a 1.4-gallon capacity which is excellent for families or long road trips. Declutter and clean up messes with this product.
The weighted, double velcro flaps keep the trash can in place even while you’re driving fast or turning around tight corners. So even if it’s packed to the brim, this trash can is unlikely to tip over and spill.
This trash can comes with 20 lemon-scented trash bags to keep your trash can clean and combat odors.
- No-tip technology due to weighted floor flaps.
- Can be placed anywhere on the floor of a carpeted car.
- Large 1.4-gallon capacity.
- Includes 20 lemon-scented trash bags.
- Waterproof and leak-proof plastic material.
- One-year warranty included.
- No lid, so it doesn’t contain spills or odors.
- Bags struggle to stay in place.
- Expensive price point.
|Dimensions||10 x 8 x 8 inches|
|Features||No-tip technology stays put while driving|
BMZX Car Trash Can
Best Cup Holder Trash Can
Cup holder trash cans are super compact and practical. While they don’t hold as much trash, in terms of capacity, they are inexpensive and easy to use while driving. We recommend getting a couple — some for the front passengers and some for the back.
The BMZX cup holder trash can has a unique design. You can easily open this one-handed, making it safe to use while driving. Plus, the lid tilts downward to minimize odors spreading when you open the trash can.
A 15-ounce capacity is definitely smaller than some of our other options, but it’s a great size for a cup holder trash can. It’s quick and easy to empty it when you stop for gas or when you arrive back home.
It’s made of food-grade silicone, so it can be washed in the dishwasher between drives.
- Easy to open the lid, especially while driving.
- Compact and unobtrusive in your car.
- Food grade silicone, dishwasher safe.
- 15-ounce capacity can hold larger items.
- Included lid prevents odors from spreading through the car.
- Small capacity, so it needs to be emptied and washed more frequently.
- The lid doesn’t lock.
|Dimensions||6.7 x 3.8 x 3.7 inches|
|Features||Fits in a cup holder, opens easily|
|Material||Food grade silicone|
High Road TrashStash
If you’ve accessorized your car or just want something a little more exciting, say hello to the High Road TrashStash. This cute, elegant trash bag comes in a nice colorful design.
It’s made from heavy-duty 500 denier polyester. It also has a metal frame closure and reinforced webbed straps. So even though it looks good, it functions well, too.
You can hang it from the back of your seat, gear stick, glove box, or wherever else you want to try! With its leak-proof design, food and drink contents won’t spill into your car.
It has a spring frame closure, so it stays shut when it’s not in use. It’s easy to open with one hand, although this might prove to be a bit of a challenge while driving. However, the spring closures minimize spills and foul odors in the car.
- Leakproof design.
- Spring frame closure to keep the lid shut.
- Three-gallon capacity.
- Easy to wipe the interior clean.
- Budget-friendly price.
- Quality and durable 500-denier polyester material.
- Difficult to open one-handed while driving.
- A bit too obtrusive if back passengers have long legs.
|Dimensions||9 x 7 x 10 inches|
|Features||Spring frame closure|
EPAuto Waterproof Car Trash Can
Best Hanging Car Trash Can
This two-gallon car trash can will keep your car clean while saving space. You can hang it from the back of a chair, the glove box, the console box, or the gear stick.
We rave about the waterproof interior; it’s the best solution for food and drink waste. It also has an elastic open to prevent spills and odors.
Notice the three side pockets for storing things like tissues, chargers, hand sanitizer, and other handy things!
Finally, it has a lid, so you can shut the lid after you’ve pulled tight the elastic opening. This gives extra security from spills and messes, especially on a long drive.
Customers love how spacious this trash can is and how easy it is to use while driving.
- Two-gallon capacity.
- Hangs from glove box, seat back, console box, and gear stick.
- Three side pockets for extra storage space.
- Lid included with a small opening for trash.
- Seven color options.
- Super affordable price.
- It doesn’t hold its shape well, so it might fold in on itself, minimizing trash space.
- It’s a bit too large for smaller cars.
|Dimensions||6.75 x 8.25 x 10.93 inches|
|Features||Three mesh pockets and adjustable straps|
|Lid||Yes, and elastic drawstring|
Coli Alma Vehicle Garbage Can
Best Floor Car Trash Can
With this can, there won’t be any trash can on your car floors! Place this trash can anywhere on the car floor to prioritize convenience for all passengers.
It stays put, even while highway driving or going around corners and bends. The anti-slip arms with spikes on the bottom stabilize the trash can equally on both sides. You don’t need to worry about messes and spills while driving.
It has a one-gallon capacity, which is a good size for families and long road trips.
You can put a trash bag in it or just clean it between uses. The trash can is waterproof, so you can also store liquid waste there. To clean it out, just wash it with warm water and soap!
Customers love the convenience of placing this anywhere in the car.
- One-gallon capacity.
- Stays put even when driving fast and around corners.
- Waterproof and leakproof.
- Can be placed anywhere in the car.
- Easy to clean with soapy water.
- Made from hard plastic with flexible arms.
- No lid to contain spills or odors.
- Only stays put in carpeted cars.
|Dimensions||7.2 x 7.2 x 14 inches|
|Features||Spiky arms to secure to car floor|
UTSAuto Car Trash Can
On a budget? No need to compromise getting a high-quality car trash can. The UTSAUTO car trash can is at an appealing price point but is still a fantastic choice.
First, it’s leakproof. Don’t worry about coffee, tea, or food spills in your car. You can use this trash can for wrappers, tissues, papers, food, and drink waste.
You can hang this from the back of your seat, gearstick, glove box, or seat belt buckle. It’s very compact, so it fits in most cars without taking up much room at all.
It has a semi-removable inner liner. This means you don’t have to use plastic trash bags, but it also means you can’t remove the liner completely when cleaning.
Simply pull it out, shake it and wipe it down with a cloth. It will stay connected to the main compartment the whole time, which means you will never lose the liner.
- Budget-friendly price point.
- Compact dimensions to suit small cars.
- Reusable inner liner.
- Leakproof design, so you can discard liquids.
- You can hang it from anywhere.
- Needs frequent emptying because it’s small.
- The loop might not fit over some gearsticks.
|Dimensions||7 x 7 x 1 inches|
|Features||Reusable inner liner|
|Material||Leakproof synthetic material|
Olitec Car Trash Can
Easiest To Use While Driving
When you’re driving, concentration is the priority. So it’s essential to have a car trash can that is easy to use while you’re navigating the roads. And that’s where the Olitec trash can comes into play.
The adjustable strap function makes it super easy to install anywhere in your car. Place it where it’s most convenient for you.
The 2.5 gallon capacity is also exemplary as you won’t need to throw garbages time after time. The bag has closing flaps that you can utilize when you’re out of the car, so smells don’t build up.
But while you’re driving, leave it open so you can pop trash inside without worrying about an opening mechanism. This ensures ultimate safety while on the roads.
Keep In Mind
- Waterproof and leakproof materials.
- Large 2.5 gallon capacity.
- Easy to clean and dries quickly.
- Collapsible design.
- Too big for compact cars.
- Short straps to secure it to the center console.
|Dimensions||11 x 8.4 x 1 inches|
|Features||2 gallon capacity|
|Material||Waterproof oxford cloth|
NJNJ Waterproof Car Trash Can
Best Can With Compartments
The njnj car trash can is the ultimate storage solution when it comes to your car. Not only does it have a great, waterproof, large-capacity bin area — it has compartments!
The five compartments of different sizes are perfect for most of your necessities when traveling. There’s room for an umbrella, phone, snacks, water bottle, wallet, and trash. Keep your car organized with this handy trash can.
The leak-resistant liner ensures the trash can is waterproof. So you can dump your half-finished latte into the trash can if it’s gone cold, without worrying about leaks and spills.
The lockable top secures everything inside the bag, which is great for highway driving. This feature also makes it easier to transport the bag and empty it.
- Five compartments, plus a trash bin.
- Lockable top with hole for pushing trash through.
- Leak-resistant liner and waterproof design.
- Sturdy enough to stay put for highway driving.
- Affordable price point.
- The straps break easily.
- Collapses in on itself when empty.
|Dimensions||9.4 x 5.6 x 11.5 inches|
|Features||Five compartments and lockable lid|
KMMotors Jopps Foldable Car Garbage Can
Best for Small Cars
Having a small car is a blessing when it comes to parallel parking and reversing into a driveway! But it definitely gets messier a lot faster. That’s why we recommend the KMMOTORS Jopps Foldable garbage can for getting rid of all your messes and trash in the car.
It has a good capacity but is still small enough to fit seamlessly down the side of the passenger seat or over the back of your seat. The adjustable hanging straps make it easy to fit this garbage can anywhere in your vehicle.
It’s made with Oxford cloth, which is a high-quality, durable, and leak-proof material. Over time, it will last because of its strength and great design.
Although it’s excellent for storing trash, it can also be used to store toys, drinks, or important documents.
- Compact size for small cars.
- Adjustable straps, so you can hang it anywhere in the car.
- High-quality, leak-proof material.
- Remains stable while you drive.
- Low price point for those on a budget.
- 1.85-gallon capacity.
- It folds in on itself when empty.
- Difficult to clean.
|Dimensions||9.06 x 8.66 x 0.39 inches|
|Quarkace Car Trash Can||For Parents||9.5 x 5.5 x 9.5″||Waterproof Oxford cloth||Yes||Hanging|
|HauseSimple Spill-Proof Auto Trash Can||Plastic Can||10 x 8 x 8″||Plastic||No||Floor|
|BMZX Car Trash Can||Cup Holder Trash Can||6.7 x 3.8 x 3.7″||Food grade silicone||Yes||Cup holder|
|High Road TrashStash||Most Stylish||9 x 7 x 10″||Leakproof polyester||Yes||Hanging|
|EPAuto Waterproof Car Trash Can||Hanging Car Trash Can||6.75 x 8.25 x 10.93″||Waterproof vinyl||Yes||Hanging|
|Coli Alma Vehicle Garbage Can||Floor Car Trash Can||7.2 x 7.2 x 14″||Waterproof plastic||No||Floor|
|UTSAuto Car Trash Can||Most Affordable||7 x 7 x 1″||Leakproof synthetic material||No||Hanging|
|Olitec Car Trash Can||Easiest To Use While Driving||11 x 8.4 x 1″||Waterproof oxford cloth||Yes||Hanging|
|NJNJ Waterproof Car Trash Can||Can With Compartments||9.4 x 5.6 x 11.5″||Waterproof vinyl||Yes||Hanging|
|KMMotors Jopps Foldable Car Garbage Can||For Small Cars||9.06 x 8.66 x 0.39″||Oxford cloth||No||Hanging|
Types of Car Trash Cans
There are three main types of car trash cans.
You can place these on the back of a headrest, so they can hang down. Or hook them into the glove box, where they’ll hang in front of the passenger seat. They are practical because they stay put once installed, and you can always keep them within reach.
- Many options available.
- They are within reach of multiple passengers at once.
- They won’t move around or spill as easily.
- They have a generous capacity.
- They can be hard to use while driving, especially if they have a lid.
- They can feel quite bulky within smaller cars.
Cup holder trash cans are small and practical. They go into your car’s cup holder and are about the size of a travel mug. We appreciate them for holding small scraps and how easy they are to reach while driving.
- They’re affordable, so you can buy a few for the car.
- They fit into a cup holder.
- Easy to reach while driving.
- Usually easy to wash by hand or in the dishwasher.
- The small capacity means you need to empty it often.
- Back passengers might not be able to reach as easily.
Lastly, you can find floor trash cans. Usually, these come with a gripped or adhesive bottom, so they don’t knock about or slide along the car floor.
You might want to get a couple of these. Some for the front and back of the car since not every passenger can reach these.
- Many come with gripped or adhesive bottoms to remain secure.
- They have larger capacities.
- They have more durable plastic constructions.
- You can put them anywhere in the car.
- Many options don’t have lids.
- They take up floor space.
- They aren’t as secure on cars without carpets.
How To Choose the Best Car Trash Can
Let’s look at some of the most important factors to consider when choosing a car trash can.