Your trash bags hold a bunch of gross stuff. The last thing you need is for the bag to break and spill the stinky contents onto you and the floor.
The good news is that there are some amazing trash bags on the market, even better than the ones you can buy in your nearest store. We have spent hours researching dozens of trash bags, expert advice, and real customer reviews.
Our research led us to putting together a list of the best trash bags available. We have seven options to share. Whether you want something biodegradable, for lawn debris, or something else — we’ve got many recommendations.
- Comes in 100 pieces
- Decompose within three years
- Leak proof & tear resistant
- Mostly plant-based
- Puncture & leak proof
- Fits tall trash cans
- Convenient drawstring closure
- Tear- & leak-resistant
- 39 gallons of space
- OdorShield technology
- Two layers to prevent leaks
- Three-ply drawstring
- 95-gallon capacity
- For commercial & household waste
- Leak- and tear-proof
- Convenient drawstring closing
- Made from 90 percent recycled plastics
- Convenient drawstring mechanism
- 3-ply construction
We’ve spent hours researching real customer reviews, expert advice, as well as applying our own insight to recommend to you the seven best trash bags on the market. We looked at each product’s durability, eco-friendliness, and closing mechanism, among other details.
Here are seven trash bags that are built to impress.
1. Reli 13 Gallon Biodegradable Trash Bags
Best Biodegradable Trash Bag
Reli trash bags are our top pick for a biodegradable option. They use technology to ensure the trash bags decompose in the soil through the help of EPI additives.
It takes about two to three years for these trash bags to biodegrade, which is significantly quicker than regular plastic trash bags. However, it’s still long enough to ensure that they won’t start decomposing when they’re in use or stored in your home.
- They decompose within three years.
- 100 bags included.
- Leakproof and tear-resistant.
- Works in trash compactors.
- Star seal bottom for extra strength.
- Low price point per bag.
- High-density means they’re pretty thin.
- No closing mechanism or drawstring.
2. Plant-Based - Hippo Sak Tall Kitchen Bags
Best Tall Trash Bags
If you have a tall trash can, you need a tall bag! The Hippo Sak Tall Kitchen Bags are the way to go.
They have a 13-gallon capacity, and the dimensions are 15.5 inches X 8.5 inches X 29 inches. Make sure to measure your trash can before ordering to make sure they fit!
What makes them so great? First, they have wide useful handles, making it easy to take them out of the trash can and tie them for mess-free removal.
Next up, they’re super strong. Even though they’re made from mostly plant-based materials, the bags are still leak-, tear- and puncture-proof.
Finally, they have a reinforced bottom, making them 10 times stronger than similar trash bags. So if the trash is really heavy, the bottom won’t split and spill.
- Made from mostly plant-based and renewable materials.
- Puncture- and leak-proof.
- Fits tall trash cans.
- Reinforced bottom to prevent splitting.
- 100 percent recyclable material.
- Ergonomic handles for carrying and tying.
- They aren’t biodegradable or compostable.
|Durability||1.02 mil thickness, reinforced bottom, low-density|
|Eco-Friendliness||At least 80% plant based materials, but not biodegradable or compostable|
|Size||13 gallons for tall trash cans|
|Closing Mechanism||Wide ergonomic handles|
3. Member's Mark 39 gal. Power-Guard
Best for Leaves and Lawn Debris
For disposing of your lawn waste, go for the Member’s Mark Power-Guard option. It holds up to 39 gallons of waste, so you have space for everything you want to dispose of.
The bag itself is leak- and tear-resistant. So if you’re disposing of sharp objects, twigs, or branches — you don’t need to worry about the bag rupturing. Dispose of your trash with confidence!
The top of the bag is twice as strong as the rest of the bag. This ensures it doesn’t tear open when the bag is packed to the brim. As for the rest of the bag, it uses Power Flex technology to expand around larger objects without ripping.
- Twice as strong as the leading national brand.
- Convenient drawstring closure.
- Elasticated plastic, so it’s tear- and leak-resistant.
- 39 gallons of space.
- Great for heavy debris, like yard waste or transporting books.
- Drawstring sometimes rips.
|Durability||2.2 mil thickness, Power Flex technology|
4. Glad ForceFlex Drawstring Trash Bags
For ultimate durability, we recommend the Glad ForceFlex Drawstring Trash Bag. It uses two layers of protection to limit leaks and tears. The inner layer, in particular, is super strong and resists tears before they can reach the outside of the bag.
The Leakguard technology traps liquids inside the bag, and the outer layer protects against leaks. So no matter what lurks in your trash bag, there won’t be any leaks on your floors or shoes.
Finally, this trash bag neutralizes odors. The 3-in-1 OdorShield traps, locks, and eliminates bad smells. This protects your kitchen and house from smelly diaper waste, cat litter disposal, and other sources of odors.
- OdorShield technology traps bad smells.
- Two layers to prevent leaks and tears.
- Tall size, so they fit narrow and tall trash cans.
- Three-ply drawstring for easy removal.
- It won’t rip even if holding sharp objects.
- The added Febreze scent is overwhelming for some.
- They don’t fit regular-shaped trash cans. Best for tall ones.
|Durability||0.95 mil thickness, two layers of protection|
|Size||13 gallons for tall trash cans|
5. Veska Gallon Clear Garbage Bags
Best Extra Large Trash Bag
The Veska trash bags have a 95-gallon capacity, so they are ideal for larger trash cans or outdoor bins.
They’re made of strong, low-density plastic, which handles all household and commercial waste. So whether you’re using this for your home, or your business, it’s a top choice.
Although the trash bags are clear, they are highly durable. They have been designed to hold 95 gallons of trash without tearing or leaking. So you don’t have to worry about spills inside your can or all over your shoes when taking out the trash.
Plus, they’re puncture-resistant and flexible. You can also use these trash bags to clean up yard waste.
- 95-gallon capacity.
- Handles commercial and household waste.
- Leak- and tear-proof.
- Works excellent for yard waste.
- Keeps inside of a trash can clean.
- Super high price point per bag.
- No closing mechanism.
|Durability||1.5 mil thickness|
|Closing Mechanism||None — you have to tie it yourself using the plastic top of the bag|
6. Amazon Basics Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags
Best Value for Money
The Amazon Basics trash bags are at a more budget-friendly price point, but they are still quality trash bags. If you want something worth the money, but doesn’t cost a bomb, then we recommend these.
Keep in mind that these trash bags are suited to fit tall trash cans. That being said, they have a great 13-gallon capacity.
They are 0.9-mil thick, which is decent. The handy drawstring closing mechanism makes them easy to tie, lift and remove from the trash can without getting your hands dirty.
- Best value for money and budget-friendly.
- Convenient drawstring closing mechanism.
- Unscented. Great if you’re sensitive to chemical smells.
- Satisfaction guarantee.
- They aren’t puncture-resistant.
- Not super stretchable, so won’t fit on every trash can. Best for tall, narrow ones.
|Durability||0.9-mil thickness, not as durable as other options|
7. GreenPolly Blue Trash Bags with Drawstring
Best Drawstring Trash Bag
Drawstrings make closing a trash bag easier. So removing it from the can and to the outdoor waste facilities is a simpler (and less gross) task.
The GreenPolly Blue Trash Bags have an excellent, durable drawstring mechanism. It’s easy to use and makes carrying the bag to the outdoor bins a total breeze.
These bags are also made of 90 percent post-consumer plastic and reusable sources. Although this doesn’t make the bags compostable or biodegradable, it’s better than virgin plastic.
Lastly, these bags have three-ply construction, making them less likely to leak or tear. However, they are on the lower side of thickness, only 0.9 mils, so some customers have found they puncture easily.
- Made from 90 percent post-consumer recycled plastic.
- Convenient drawstring mechanism for easy tying.
- 3-ply construction makes it less likely to tear and leak.
- Customers were impressed by the durability.
- May puncture and tear if overstuffed.
- May not fit standard kitchen trash cans.
|Durability||0.9-mil thickness, not as durable as other options|
|Eco-Friendliness||Made from 90 percent recycled plastic|
|Reli Biodegradable Trash Bags||Biodegradable Trash Bag||Yes||13 gal.||None||100 bags|
|Hippo Sak Kitchen Bags||Tall Trash Bags||80% plant-based||13 gal.||Wide ergonomic handles||45 bags|
|Member’s Mark Power-Guard||For Leaves and Lawn Debris||No||39 gal.||Drawstrings||90 bags|
|Glad ForceFlex Drawstring Trash Bags||Durable||No||13 gal.||Drawstrings||100 bags|
|Veska Gallon Clear Garbage Bags||Extra Large Trash Bag||No||95 gal.||None||25 bags|
|Amazon Basics Drawstring Trash Bags||Value for Money||No||13 gal.||Drawstring||120 bags|
|GreenPolly Blue Trash Bags||Drawstring Trash Bag||90% recycled plastic||13 gal.||Drawstring||90 bags|
Are Trash Bags Sanitary?
Yes, they’re hygienic and the best place to store your trash. They keep everything contained, so things don’t spill out when taking out the trash. Plus, they keep the inside of your trash can clean.
A lot of people also use trash bags for packing and moving, which is totally fine. However, some think it’s okay to use trash bags to store food. That’s actually a dangerous decision.
Garbage bags are not made with food-grade plastic, so it’s unsafe to store food in them (1). The chemicals in the bags can easily contaminate your food. Instead, store your food in reusable tupperware to save money and reduce plastic waste.
What Makes a Trash Bag Strong?
High-quality materials and superior construction make a trash bag strong.
One thing that a strong trash bag has is elasticity. So when it’s super full and heavy, it doesn’t rip open. Instead, it stretches slightly to distribute the weight.
A good trash bag will also feel slightly thick. If it’s really thin, it will puncture easily, which leads to tears and leaks.
Lastly is the trash bag density. Similar to thickness, if a trash bag is low density, it will be thicker, more flexible, and resistant to tearing. If it’s high density, it’s going to be thinner. These are an excellent choice for office and bathroom trash cans where most waste is paper.
How Long Do Trash Bags Take To Decompose?
Some sources state it can take between 10 and 20 years for a plastic bag to decompose (2). However, plastic bags haven’t been around for that long, so we don’t know exactly how long some plastic takes to decompose. Some sources predict it could take upwards of 500 years (3).
So, overall, it can take between 10 and 1000 years for a plastic bag to decompose in a landfill (4).
What to Look For (Buying Guide)
When you shop for trash bags, it’s normal to grab the first one you see on the shelf, especially if it’s on sale. But to get the best of the best, here are the top details to consider when buying new trash bags.
What Can I Use Instead of Trash Bags?
Although trash bags are common and convenient, there are some other options.
- Reusable plastic bags: You know those heavy-duty reusable plastic bags you can get at the store? You can fashion that into a trash bag. While it’s best for paper waste and recycling — since this won’t dirty the bag — you can use it for general trash. Just be sure to wash it between uses.
- Reuse other items: If you have other items you will dispose of anyway, why not put them to good use first? For example, you can upcycle your pet’s empty food bag or a big cardboard box into a temporary trash bag. That way, it gets another life before it needs to be thrown out.
- Go bagless: You could go bagless. This cuts down on plastic waste entirely. Although it means more maintenance for cleaning your trash can and perhaps a little bit more odor, it’s a sure way to save money and cut down on plastic.