Aprons are a kitchen staple, especially if you cook from scratch. Whether you’re cooking or baking at home, serving customers, or cleaning, you need an apron. There are tons of options on the market — aprons aplenty! But that can make it harder to choose. So we’ve narrowed it down to the 10 best aprons by category.
Whether you’re looking for something for men, or women, something waterproof, cotton, or something else entirely, we’ve got fantastic choices to consider. Based on hours of research into dozens of aprons, real customer reviews, and our own apron experience, you can trust our reviews.
Let’s meet 10 comfy and cute aprons!
- Professionally reinforced stitching
- Polyester-cotton blend material
- Great unisex option
- Made from 10-oz cotton twill
- Four deep pockets
- Adjustable size with a crossback finish
- Professional & home use
- Machine washable material
- Has 5 pockets
- Added neck pad for comfort
- 40-inch long ties
- Keeps your clothes dry
- Has a huge center pocket
- Customizable embroidery option
- Extra-long straps
- Waterproof & spill proof
- Offers protection from neck to knee
- Quality disposable aprons
- Soft polyester material
- Water-repellent apron
- Wide coverage with high bib
- Vintage crossback style design
- Soft linen-cotton blend
- Has 2 large front pockets
- Fits most body types
- Longer waist length
- Waterproof material
- Adjustable & removable straps
- It has multiple pockets
- Masculine & sturdy design
The Best Aprons of 2023
This list of the 10 best aprons is based on hours of research into genuine customer reviews, expert advice, as well as applying our own insight and years of apron-wearing experience! We looked at each product’s type, purpose, fabric, sizing, and waterproof ability to ensure you find the right one for your needs.
Cover up with one of these fantastic aprons.
Alipobo Kitchen Chef Apron
Best Wide Apron
Aprons aren’t typically available in classic sizes like small, medium, and large. Instead, you have to look at how adjustable they are. This Alipobo kitchen chef apron is one of the most flexible when it comes to sizing.
The 40-inch long ties allow you to adjust the apron to your specific size. The neck strap is also adjustable, allowing for flexible sizing.
Besides all that, this is a classic apron. Firstly, the appearance is professional and neutral, so it will suit you well whether you’re using it for work or at home.
It also has three spacious pockets, which allow you to store a range of handy items while you’re working hard.
The apron is made from a 65/35 polyester-cotton blend with yarn-dyed fabric. This means the apron is machine washable, fade-proof, thick, comfortable, breathable, and soft.
- Professionally reinforced stitching for durability.
- Comfortable neck strap that doesn’t itch.
- Suitable for work and professional use.
- Great unisex option.
- 40-inch ties for flexible sizing.
- Two front pockets.
- When it first arrives, it has a strong chemical odor.
- Not waterproof.
|Purpose||Professional or domestic use|
|Size||Adjustable size with 40-inch long ties|
Hudson Durable Goods Professional Chef Apron
Best Durable Apron
When you buy an apron, especially if you’re forking out a little extra cash, you want it to last. This professional chef apron is a great durable option that will last for many uses. After all, it’s from a brand called Hudson Durable Goods, so would you expect anything less?
What makes it so durable? For one, it’s made with rugged materials to withstand the rigorous environment of professional and domestic kitchens. It uses gun-metal grommets and rivets to prevent fraying, even as you adjust and fasten the apron.
The pockets, straps, and hems are reinforced with double stitching to provide extra security. Overall, this apron can help you tackle any task while holding up throughout anything you choose to do.
- Made from 10-ounce cotton twill.
- Four deep pockets.
- Adjustable size with a crossback finish.
- Towel loop for convenience.
- Nine color options.
- Professional appearance — great for work use.
- One of the more expensive options.
- It’s difficult to put on and remove by yourself.
|Purpose||Professional or domestic use|
|Fabric||10-ounce cotton twill|
|Size||Adjustable size, suiting up to XXL|
Baiancy Cotton Denim Apron
Best for Women
Women are spoiled for choice when it comes to aprons. There are lots of plain ones, patterned ones, pretty ones, and much more. But this denim apron is a fantastic choice as it’s cute, girly but also really durable! Plus, you’ll stand out from the crowd.
This is available in a range of colors, too. This includes light blue, dark blue, and gray, as well as all of these colors in a longer size to offer more protection.
The aprons also have five pockets. One large one at the bottom split into three smaller pockets, and a smaller one with two compartments at the chest.
The apron is made from both cotton and denim. It’s thick, durable, and still soft and smooth to the touch.
You’ll also love the adjustable size. It has an adjustable neck strap which allows you to change the length, as well as ties at the waist for customizing it to suit you.
- Easy to clean; machine washable.
- You can wear this in domestic or professional settings.
- Adjustable neck and waist sizing.
- Comfortable and soft to the touch.
- Five pockets for storage.
- Customers aren’t a fan of the stylish rip. It can easily rip even more.
- The colors may be duller in person.
|Purpose||Professional or domestic use|
Aulett Waterproof Rubber Vinyl Apron
Best Waterproof Apron
This waterproof apron from Aulett Home Store is a practical option for all your dishwashing needs. It will protect you from water, keeping you and your clothes dry while you’re hard at work.
As well as dishwashing, it’s also commonly used for lab work, working with chemicals, and dog grooming. Those working in a butchers or cleaning fish also find this one invaluable. It’s very versatile!
The rubbery texture repels oil and grease, which protects your clothes and prevents staining on the apron. Despite its durable and sturdy design, it’s still soft and comfortable enough to wear for long periods.
The snap buckle makes it super easy to take on and off, even while your hands are wet. No untying difficult strings. Just click and unclick!
- Added neck pad for comfort.
- 40-inch long ties for size flexibility.
- Keeps your clothes dry.
- It has multiple uses.
- Great for working with hazardous chemicals, meat, and other messes.
- The coverage at tops and sides could be better.
- Some customers reported rips at the seams and pockets over time.
|Purpose||Dishwashing, dog grooming, lab work, and more|
|Size||Adjustable with 40-inch long ties|
DII Chino Chef Apron
Best Cotton Apron
Cotton is a top choice for many apron-shoppers as it’s comfortable, durable, and very easy to wash. If you’re looking for a cotton apron, look no further than the DII Chino Chef Apron.
Why? Because it’s available in 28 different colors! You can choose from sage, wine, dark green, mineral gray, mustard, neon purple, and more. You could even choose a few so you could mix them up depending on your outfit.
Besides the colors, it’s a nice budget-friendly option that won’t break the bank.
As for the fabric, the aprons are made from 100 percent soft cotton for comfort. You can wash it in the machine with cold water on a gentle cycle. Pop it in the tumble dryer after on a low heat setting.
- It comes with a huge center pocket.
- You can customize the apron with embroidery or a monogram.
- Extra-long straps to suit most body types.
- You can use this apron for professional or domestic purposes.
- 28 color options.
- Budget-friendly price point.
- The material is very thin.
- It wrinkles easily in the wash.
|Purpose||Professional or domestic use|
|Fabric||100 percent cotton|
|Size||Long adjustable straps to suit most body types|
Gmark Disposable Poly Aprons
Best Disposable Apron
Disposable aprons are the only choice for many environments, specifically hospitals. They’re also used in the food and cleaning industry, labs, and some cooking environments. If you’re on the hunt for quality disposable aprons, we recommend the Gmark disposable poly aprons.
This pack of 100 bib aprons meets your sanitary expectations while still being durable and waterproof from neck to knee. You can use them while cooking, washing, or dealing with oil-based products. They will still protect your clothes.
They are made from 100 percent polyethylene, making them good for food handling, bakeries, and pharmaceuticals.
- Waterproof and spillproof to protect your clothing.
- Offers protection from neck to knee.
- Versatile purposes.
- Comes in a pack of 40 or 100.
- Premium quality polyethylene protects you from germs and mess.
- They will rip if not used properly.
- A bit too thin for some customers.
|Purpose||For hospitals, food and cleaning, and more|
|Size||28 x 46 inches|
Syntus Bib Apron
Best Budget Apron
Our list has a few budget-friendly options, but here’s another fantastic option to consider.
This water-repellent apron is great for busy kitchens where water or oil often splashes up. While it’s not entirely waterproof, it is water-resistant, giving you more protection than standard cotton aprons.
The apron also offers comfort and breathability, allowing you to easily wear this for long periods in hot kitchens.
It has two large pockets, which you can use to store notepads, recipe cards, phones, tablets, and other handy items you may need.
This is an excellent option for any gender as it’s basic and neutral. However, if you don’t like black, it is available in eight colors.
- Made from soft polyester.
- One size fits most.
- Machine washable.
- Wide coverage with a high bib.
- Cheap price point.
- Water-repellent materials.
- Thin fabric.
- Runs a bit big for some customers.
|Purpose||Domestic or professional use|
|Size||One size fits most, but it runs a bit big|
Newgem Japanese Cross Back Apron
Best Crossback Apron
Crossback aprons are cute with an almost vintage appearance. You can definitely wear them for cooking and baking, but many people also opt for this style when painting or gardening. The crossback style makes the apron super secure, so you can move around a lot without the risk of the ties loosening.
This specific option from Newgem is made from an 80/20 cotton-linen blend. So it’s soft, breathable, comfy, and easy to wash.
It also has two large front pockets, making it cute and practical. You can store all the necessary items within reach of you.
It’s also available in many color options. This includes navy, beige, black, bright yellow, grapefruit, pink, and turquoise. The colors are all soft, lovely, and easy on the eye.
- Vintage stylish design.
- Securely tied when you’re wearing it.
- Soft linen-cotton blend.
- Two large pockets.
- Available in nine color options.
- Suitable for various tasks, including gardening and cooking.
- The sizing runs very small.
- Fabric might shrink in the wash.
|Purpose||Painting, gardening, hairstylist, and more|
|Fabric||80/20 cotton linen blend|
|Size||Runs small, best for petite people|
Syntus Waist Apron
Best Waist Apron
In the market for a waist apron? These are popular in restaurants. In our opinion, the Syntus waist apron is a nifty choice to consider.
It’s a nice long length compared to other waist aprons, which are very short. This makes it look professional, as well as suiting both men and women. It also provides a bit more protection from spills, especially when you’re wiping down tables.
We love the three pockets at the front with all the room for essential items, with the middle one having the largest size. Additionally, it is machine washable.
You can carry your electronic tablet or notebook, depending on how your company takes customers’ orders. Overall, this is an awesome, comfy, and stylish option.
- Three front pockets.
- Extra-long ties allow the apron to suit most body types.
- Longer length, which provides extra protection for plus size.
- Waterproof polyester material.
- Suitable for cooking, gardening, and more.
- Some customers dislike the polyester material.
- The pocket may be too small for large notebooks or tablets.
|Purpose||Serving and waiting tables|
|Size||Long, with adjustable ties|
Mignongirl Chef Cross Back Apron
Best Apron for Men
In our opinion, aprons usually come across as quite unisex, but for the men out there looking for something typically more “manly,” this apron is a fantastic choice. It’s very stylish, masculine, and sturdy. But it’s also practical.
It has multiple pockets to hold items such as notebooks, scissors, your phone, and more. It even has a specific slot for pens.
You can wear this at work while serving customers, cooking food, or even in your home kitchen.
The cross-back design and tie provide ultimate coverage around your entire front. Better yet, it also has coverage over the bottom half at the back.
If you aren’t a fan of black, you’ll also find this apron in beige, gray, and red. So you can choose something that suits your classic style.
- It’s made from 100 percent soft and durable cotton.
- The straps are adjustable and removable.
- It has multiple pockets.
- You can use this for professional or domestic purposes.
- Four color options, including black and red.
- It doesn’t hold up super well in the washing machine.
- Many customers found the materials to be quite cheap.
|Purpose||Professional or domestic use|
|Fabric||100 percent cotton|
|Size||M-XXL (adjustable straps)|
|Alipobo Kitchen Chef Apron||Wide Apron||Bib apron||Professional or domestic||Poly-cotton blend||No|
|Hudson Durable Goods Pro Chef||Durable Apron||Bib apron||Professional or domestic||Cotton denim||No|
|Baiancy Cotton Denim Apron||For Women||Bib apron||Professional or domestic use||Cotton denim||No|
|Aulett Waterproof Vinyl Apron||Waterproof Apron||Dishwashing||Dishwashing, dog grooming, lab work & more||Waterproof vinyl||Yes|
|DII Chino Chef Apron||Cotton Apron||Bib apron||Professional or domestic use||100% cotton||No|
|Gmark Disposable Poly Aprons||Disposable Apron||Disposable||For hospitals, food & cleaning, & more||polyethylene||Yes|
|Syntus Bib Apron||Budget Apron||Bib apron||Domestic or professional||Polyester||Yes|
|Newgem Japanese Cross Apron||Crossback Apron||Crossback||Painting, gardening, hairstylist||80/20 cotton-linen blend||No|
|Syntus Waist Apron||Waist Apron||Waist apron||Serving & waiting tables||Polyester||Yes|
|Mignongirl Chef Cross Back Apron||Apron for Men||Bib apron||Professional or domestic||100% cotton||No|
Types of Aprons
You may notice lots of apron variations when looking online. There are many types, including waist, tuxedo, dishwasher, and more. Not clued up on all the apron lingo? We’ll break it down for you.
Waist aprons cover you from the waist until about midway down the thigh. They don’t have the same full coverage as kitchen aprons because they’re more for storage reasons.
Restaurant servers typically wear these to store their notepad, pens, clothes, and other accessories. They don’t need the top coverage since they’re not preparing food.
- They give servers a professional uniform.
- They provide extra storage.
- They’re affordable.
- They come in a range of styles and lengths.
- They don’t provide top coverage.
- Some are made from cheap materials.
Bib aprons are most likely what comes to your mind when you hear the word “apron”. They’re the classic option.
They’re called bib aprons because they have the top coverage, which acts like a bib. It protects your clothing, allows you to wipe dirty hands on the apron, and some even have pockets.
- Tons of options on the market.
- They come in a range of prices.
- You’ll find many different material options.
- You’re spoiled for style choice.
- Some have pockets.
- They’re easy to wash.
- Some are made with cheaper materials than others.
- They don’t provide coverage at the back.
Tuxedo aprons are a popular choice for servers at black-tie events. They’re pretty stylish with their v-neck design and black color. Wear this over a white shirt and black trousers, and you’ll look super professional and classy.
- They are very classy and stylish.
- The v-neck design gives the waiter/waitress outfit a tuxedo-type finish.
- They are perfect for black-tie events.
- Not the most suitable for domestic use.
- There aren’t as many options on the market.
You’re probably used to seeing these in the hospitality sector, such as arts centers, hospitals, schools, and other places. They are protective and practical because they tie on both sides and have a front and back, providing ultimate coverage.
- They are available in a huge variety of colors.
- You can buy them in bulk.
- They are comfortable and practical to wear.
- They provide both front and back coverage.
- They’re not popular for home use.
- They aren’t the most stylish.
Dishwasher aprons are sturdy and waterproof aprons that are suitable for dishwashers at restaurants or cafes. But they’re also suitable for home use to protect your clothes from dishwater or other cooking liquids.
- Waterproof materials.
- You can wear it for cooking, dishwasher, car washing, or other activities.
- Properly protects your clothing.
- Not the most comfortable as they’re not super soft.
- Not machine washable.
Disposable aprons are suitable for dealing with raw meat, but they’re most commonly found in hospitals. When visiting patients or working with patients, you may need to wear these and dispose of them afterward to minimize the spread of germs.
- They can minimize the spread of germs since you dispose of them afterward.
- They are affordable.
- They provide good protection from messes.
- Useful in different settings.
- They are not eco-friendly.
- They may rip while you are wearing them.
How To Choose the Best Apron
With all these options and different purposes when it comes to aprons, how do you choose the best one? We’ve narrowed down the top criteria you should be considering.
How To Care for Aprons
In our home, we treat aprons a bit like we treat tea towels. Keep them clean and dry, wash them regularly, and pop them in the washing machine after contact with raw ingredients. Here are some top tips for taking care of your aprons so that it lasts a while:
- Familiarize yourself with the care label: Each care label will be different, so make sure you check out yours. This will tell you the best washing temperature, washing cycle, and whether or not it’s bleach- or tumble-dry-safe.
- Wash it after contact with raw ingredients: If you have dealt with raw chicken and wipe your hands on the apron, wash it immediately; otherwise, you could deal with cross-contamination.
- Know how to disinfect: If your apron isn’t suitable to be washed in hot water or bleach, how do you disinfect it? Borax or white vinegar is a great option. For Borax, add ½ cup along with your laundry detergent. For white vinegar, add ½ cup to the rinse cycle. Don’t mix these two ingredients together.
- Keep it dry: After use, air it to dry. If it remains wet, bacteria will rapidly grow.
- Go by material type: You must care for it differently depending on the material. If you have denim or leather, for example, you’ll need to come to terms with some new washing methods.