Quality wood is expensive and should be passed down generations, not tossed. You need a good cleaner to keep your wooden furniture in good shape. But which product is right for you? We can help.
We’ve done the research and gathered seven of the best wood cleaners you can find. Try these trustworthy cleaners to bring life, shine and color back to your wooden furniture, floors, and fixtures.
- Handy aerosol bottle
- Includes a Scratch Cover layer
- Lemon and almond scents available
- Cleans, polishes, and protects wood
- Safe to use around kids and pets
- Provides a good buff and shine
- Lovely natural orange fragrance
- Cleans and moisturizes wooden surfaces
- Natural cleaning power of orange oil
- Cleans and dusts, remove grease, grime
- 98% naturally derived ingredients
- Soft wipes don’t damage wooden surfaces
- 100% natural, biodegradable ingredients
- Never tested on animals
- Made in carbon-neutral factories
- Naturally citrus-scented
- Sustainable and biodegradable
- Suitable for both wooden and tile floors
- Streak-free finish for beautiful floors
- Non-toxic and biodegradable formula
- Neutral pH is gentle on hardwood floors
The Best Wood Cleaners of 2022
Here are the seven best wood cleaners available.
1. Old English Furniture Polish Spray
Best Aerosol Wood Cleaner
This is one of the most popular wood cleaners available and definitely a top choice for many people who want an aerosol product.
For over 100 years, customers have loved and trusted Old English to ensure that wooden furniture looks as good as new. This cleaner will spruce up your dirty wooden surfaces while also giving them a beautiful polish and Scratch Cover. This protects them between cleans and preserves natural beauty.
It also leaves your furniture dust-free, thanks to this protective layer. As a result, it’s easier than ever to quickly wipe away dust, fingerprints, food, and liquid, as well as other daily stains.
Customers also love the unique lemon and almond scent offerings.
This cleaner is one of the most versatile options. It’s suitable for basically all types of wood, including birch, oak, hickory, pine, maple, and more. You can even use it on antiques!
Put this to the test on cabinets, chairs, tables, desks and other furniture. It’s even suitable for floors, though it may take longer to use than Old English’s dedicated floor cleaners.
- Handy aerosol bottle, which is easy to use.
- Includes a Scratch Cover layer to protect wood.
- Busts away dust without leaving a waxy finish.
- Lemon and almond scents available.
- It’s made with synthetic ingredients such as C13-14 Isoparaffin, propane, and more.
- Some found it left a dull finish.
|Purpose||Cleans, polishes, and protects all wooden surfaces|
2. Better Life Natural Wood Polish
Best Wood Cleaner and Polish
Give the wooden furniture and surfaces in your home a lovely clean and polish with this plant-derived formula.
With the beautiful cinnamon and lavender scent, your home will have a refreshing quality to it. Yes, in terms of fragrance but also in terms of your wood’s appearance. This cleaner removes dust, dirt, smudges, fingerprints, and other marks.
The oil blend then moisturizes and polishes the wood. It even gives it a protected layer to ensure less harm is done to the wood between cleans.
You can use this on wood furniture, antique wood, veneers, cabinets, paneling, and engineered wood. The formula is free from VOCs, petroleum, and alkylphenol surfactants. So it shouldn’t irritate you or anyone in the family while you use it.
- Cleans, polishes, and protects wood.
- Safe to use around kids and pets.
- Natural cinnamon and lavender scent.
- Provides a good buff and shine.
- Oily finish may not work for tables or other such surfaces.
- Some customers found it left a streaky finish.
|Purpose||Cleans and polishes wood surfaces (not floors)|
3. Touch of Oranges Wood Cleaner and Restorer
Best Versatile Wood Cleaner
If you want a one-stop product for the wooden surfaces in your home, this is it.
Touch of Oranges wood cleaner and restorer is suitable for all wooden surfaces. This includes floors, cabinets, furniture, antiques, and more.
We love how this provides a deep clean so that you can wipe away grease, grime, and dirt. But it also uses a moisturizing blend of orange oil and other ingredients to provide moisture to your wooden surfaces. No more drying or cracking. All without the waxy buildup that some other wood cleaners leave behind.
That’s not all — you can also use this for dusting your wooden surfaces. It can even hide minor scratches. Overall, your wooden surfaces will be looking so much better than before.
- Lovely natural orange fragrance.
- Cleans and moisturizes wooden surfaces.
- Restores the natural tones, colors, and textures of your wooden surfaces.
- Uses the natural cleaning power of orange oil.
- Vague ingredient list, so you can’t be sure of all it contains.
- May leave behind a residue.
- Quite an expensive option.
|Purpose||Cleans, polishes, and protects all wooden surfaces|
4. Murphy Oil Soft Wood Cleaner Wipes
Best Wood Cleaning Wipes
Wood cleaning wipes are super handy to have nearby, especially for quick spills and cleanups. These Murphy cleaner wipes ticked a lot of boxes for us while we did our research.
For starters, they contain 98 percent naturally-derived ingredients, so they’re a lot safer and more eco-friendly than a lot of other wood wipes on the market. The wipes are made with water, Lauramidopropyldimethylamine, and other naturally derived ingredients.
Just be cautious if anyone in the family does have allergies as it contains fragrance and preservatives, and it’s not specified if these are natural.
We also love that these wipes fit on any Swiffer mop. So while you can use these wipes by hand, you can also attach them to the end of your mop for a quick and easy clean of your floors.
Overall these wipes can be used both to clean and dust wooden surfaces. This includes floors, wooden furniture, paneling, cabinets, and more.
- Cleans and dusts, removing grease, grime, and more.
- 98% naturally derived ingredients.
- Soft wipes don’t damage wooden surfaces.
- Can be used by hand or on the end of any Swiffer mop
- High price per wipe when you break down the cost.
- Rip easily when used on Swiffer mops.
- Not enough moisture for larger areas; they dry quickly.
|Purpose||Cleans and dust wooden surfaces|
5. Ecos Furniture Polish and Cleaner
Best Wood Cleaner for Furniture
Give your wooden furniture the makeover it deserves with this cleaner and polish from ECOS.
Made with plant-powered ingredients, this product cleans your wooden furniture to remove grease, grime, oil, and dirt. It then polishes it, leaving behind a natural shine that enhances the original beauty of the furniture.
Coming in a handy spray bottle, this is super easy to use. Simply spray it onto the wooden furniture a few times before immediately wiping it with a soft clean cloth. Just be sure not to use it on floors as this can leave a slippery finish.
Yes, this is another eco-friendly and non-toxic recommendation from us. Made with the power of olive oil and oranges, this provides a beautiful finish using super-safe ingredients. Safe for you, the home, and your family.
- 100% natural, biodegradable ingredients.
- Cleans and protects wood while leaving a shiny polish.
- Never tested on animals.
- Made in carbon-neutral factories.
- Bottles are prone to leaking.
- If you don’t wipe immediately and thoroughly, it can leave a dull finish.
|Purpose||Cleans, polishes and protects wood furniture|
6. Attitude Nature + Hypoallergenic Surface Cleaner
Best Hypoallergenic Wood Cleaner
We know how hard it can be to find the right cleaning products when someone in the family has allergies. Thankfully, this Attitude Nature+ surface cleaner ticks all the right boxes, ensuring a hypoallergenic and safe formula.
All Attitude products are dermatologically tested through extensive safety tests to ensure they’re safe for sensitive skin. So now you can enjoy super clean wooden surfaces without an allergy attack.
This lovely citrus-scented cleaner is made from plant and mineral-based ingredients to leave behind a streak-free finish on your wooden surfaces. The active ingredient is saponin which is a natural cleanser.
It’s totally biodegradable, and the packaging is recyclable, making this a sustainable choice.
We also love that it’s a versatile product. It’s suitable for both wood and tile flooring so that you can spruce up a few rooms of your home with this cleaner.
- Naturally citrus-scented — no synthetic fragrances.
- Sustainable and biodegradable, made from plant-based ingredients.
- Hypoallergenic, so it’s safe for sensitive skin.
- Suitable for both wooden and tile floors.
- May leave a streaky and tacky finish.
|Purpose||Wooden and tile floors, cleans only|
7. Jaws Hardwood Floor Cleaner Bottle
Best Eco-Friendly Wood Cleaner
There’s no need to waste plastic and harm the environment anymore. With this super eco-friendly wood cleaner, you can cut down your carbon footprint while still giving your wooden pieces a total makeover.
This bottle is compatible with these awesome refill pods. So when you finish the wood cleaner, you don’t need to throw out the bottle. Instead, simply order more refill pods and dissolve in water. As a result, you cut down on tons of plastic waste.
As well as being eco-friendly in terms of packaging, this is also a biodegradable formula. The safe but effective ingredients are kind to you, the environment, and of course, your floors. Thanks to the pH-neutral formula, you don’t need to worry about damage.
Speaking of floors, this is fantastic for hardwood floors, leaving them clean, streak-free, and shiny. But it also is suitable for laminate and tile as well as wooden furniture such as cabinets, shelves, and tables.
- Streak-free finish for beautiful floors and furniture.
- Non-toxic and biodegradable formula with eco-friendly packaging.
- Neutral pH is gentle on hardwood floors.
- Budget-friendly and cost-effective over time.
- Not suitable for unsealed wood.
|Type||Spray with refill pods|
|Purpose||Wooden floors and furniture, plus tile and laminate. Cleans only.|
|Old English Furniture Polish Spray||Aerosol Wood Cleaner||Aerosol||No||$$$||All wooden surfaces||37.5 ounces|
|Better Life Natural Wood Polish||Wood Cleaner and Polish||Spray||Yes||$$||Wood surfaces (not floors)||32 ounces|
|Touch of Oranges Wood Cleaner and Restorer||Versatile Wood Cleaner||Liquid||No||$$$||All wooden surfaces||128 ounces|
|Murphy Oil Soft Wood Cleaner Wipes||Wood Cleaning Wipes||Wipes||Somewhat||$$$$||Wooden surfaces||36 wipes|
|Ecos Furniture Polish and Cleaner||Wood Cleaner for Furniture||Spray||Yes||$||Wood furniture||44 ounces|
|Attitude Nature + Hypoallergenic Surface Cleaner||Hypoallergenic Wood Cleaner||Liquid||Yes||$||Wooden and tile floors||35.2 ounces|
|Jaws Hardwood Floor Cleaner Bottle||Eco-Friendly Wood Cleaner||Spray with refill pods||Yes||$||Wooden floors, furniture, tile, laminate/td>||27 ounces|
What to Look For (Buying Guide)
Before you go and grab the first wood cleaner you see, it’s important to tick a few boxes. You should consider the type, the ingredients, your budget, and more when shopping for wooden cleaners. This will ensure you make the smartest decision.
FAQs About Wood Cleaners
How Do You Sanitize Wood?
So you want to kill germs and bacteria on your wooden furniture. Here’s an effective method:
- Mix two cups of water, one cup of white vinegar, and five drops of dish soap into a spray bottle. Shake well to combine.
- Spray onto the wooden surface and wipe thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth.
- Wipe after with a dry cloth.
The vinegar can disinfect the wood while the dish soap clings to germs and bacteria and removes them. Just be sure to wash your cloth in hot water afterward.
How Do You Clean Dirty Wooden Furniture?
Any of our recommendations will work wonders at cleaning grease, grime, and dirt from your wooden furniture. If you want a DIY method, the above recipe is also a fantastic daily cleaner for wood.
How Do You Clean Wood Naturally?
- Mix one cup of water with three tablespoons of distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Shake to combine.
- Spray onto the wooden surface.
- Wipe well with a soft cloth.
- Dry thoroughly.
If you want to polish wooden furniture, try this:
- Mix one cup of extra virgin olive oil and ½ cup of lemon juice together in a bowl.
- Dip in a microfiber cloth and rub a small amount into your wooden surface using circular motions.
- Repeat until the wood is polished.
- Do not rinse or wipe dry.