Buying a power washer can be expensive, especially if you aren’t going to be using it that often.
If you’re looking to rent a power washer, we’ve put together a breakdown of rental costs.
Now, when you go to rent a power washer, you know roughly what to expect so there are no surprises.
- Renting a power washer costs between $29.99 and $260 per day depending on the model and rental location.
- Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Sunbelt Rentals, Herc Rentals, United Rentals, Northside Tool Rental, and A-Z Equipment are common rental options.
- Heavy-duty power washers (over 2,800 PSI) have an average rental cost between $94 and $260, while medium-duty power washers (below 2,800 PSI) range from $29.99 to $86.
- Renting a power washer is a good option for occasional use, but buying one is more cost-effective for frequent use.
How Much Does It Cost to Rent a Power Washer?
Let’s look at some of the most common places people rent a power washer from. We’ll cover rough prices per day, a bit of information about each place, and the procedure for renting the power tool.
It costs between $38 and $98 to rent a power washer from Home Depot (1). The range in price depends on the power of the power washer and whether it’s gas or electric. Electric pressure washers are cheaper.
To access one, check the nearby stores in your area to see what’s available. You will need to put down a deposit — $25 or $150 depending on the chosen model — and pick up the tool. You will also need to provide a photo ID, and you can only pay by credit card.
Keep In Mind
You may need to rent accessories separately.
Lowes charge between $31 and $99 per day of renting their power washers (2). They have a few options, including gas, electric, surface cleaners, and soft wash systems.
You will need to check what the availability is like in your local area. The only requirement is that you are at least 18 years of age. This suggests you will need a valid photo ID to collect the item, too.
To rent a power washer from Menards is $29.99 per day (3). This is the flat rate as they only have one option available — the Rug Doctor Power Washer.
To rent this tool, you will need to select it from the Rental Center, physically go to the in-store service desk to speak to a staff member, and complete the rental from there. You must bring a valid photo ID and a valid credit card.
You must also be at least 18 years of age.
With Sunbelt rentals, prices range from $52 to $245 depending on the PSI rating of the tool (4). The higher this number, the stronger the power washer, which means it’s more expensive to rent.
To rent from Sunbelt, you are required to wear all the recommended safety equipment, read the safe operation manuals and follow all safety precautions. They do have safety training courses available if you’re in doubt.
To rent, you will need to choose your power tool then put in your location and date details. From there, it will give you instructions for renting the tool.
For a cold pressure washer, Herc Rentals charges between $85 to $155 per day, depending on the power of the tool (5). Simply enter your zip code, choose the model and then follow through with the “add to cart” instructions.
Herc provides access to hot water power washers, tow behind pressure washers, as well as scrubbers and wands.
With United Rentals, the price is really dependent on your area. But on average, you can expect to find power washers available from between $35 and $200 per day (6). This depends on the PSI rating, which goes from 2000 to 5000.
They also offer both hot and cold, as well as standalone units or trailer-mounted units. You can also separately rent hoses and other accessories.
To rent, search your area, choose the product, add to cart and follow the rental instructions from there.
Northside Tool Rental
It costs between $74 and $201 to rent a power washer daily from Northside Tool Rental (7). These washers range from 2500 to 4200 PSI, so they’re all very strong. We think these are great prices!
Just note that NTR is located in Atlanta only, so if you’re from out of state, you will be better off looking elsewhere.
To rent, choose your product, how long you want it for, and add to cart. Then follow through with the checkout order to secure your product.
It costs between $90 and $260 to rent from A-Z Equipment (8). This depends on the power of the washer. The higher this number, generally the higher the cost.
A-Z Equipment offers a few different power washers ranging from 1000 to 6000 PSI, so you can find something just for your needs.
To rent, you will need to choose your product and make a rental inquiry. From here, follow the instructions. This may require waiting to hear back from the company.
Do You Need a Pressure Washer or Power Washer?
Many companies — event rental companies — use the term interchangeably. But there is a difference. The main difference is that power washers use heated water, while pressure washers don’t.
So if you need to remove tough dirt like mildew, salt, grime, and grease, we recommend going for a power washer as the heat can help clear dirt. It also allows you to reduce your use of pressure washer detergent, which is better for the environment and surfaces that don’t handle heated water well. This includes concrete and cement, for example.
Pressure Washer Rental Cost
Since pressure washers can range quite largely in terms of power, the cost for these can vary widely too. The lowest price we found was $29.99 from Menards (even though they call it a power washer, it’s not actually heated water). The highest price was from A-Z Equipment at $260 per day.
Heavy-Duty Power Washer Rental Cost
Heavy-duty is defined by anything with a PSI of over 2,800. The average cost for these tools is between $94 and $260, depending on where you are and which company you choose.
Medium-Duty Power Washer Rental Cost
Medium duty power washers are defined as anything with a PSI of lower than 2,800. For these products, you’re looking at anything from $29.99 to $86.
Should You Buy or Rent a Power Washer?
Stuck deciding between renting and buying? Here are the pros and cons of each to help you make a better decision.
- You don’t need to worry about storage.
- If you only use it occasionally, this is an ideal option.
- It’s a cheaper option than hiring somebody to do it, especially if you know how to power wash.
- You don’t need to worry about maintaining and winterizing it.
- You’re limited to brand and model options when you rent.
- It can still be expensive to rent a power washer.
- If you don’t get it back on time, you’ll be charged extra.
- It’s only about 2-3 times more expensive than renting one.
- You can choose which brand and model you go for.
- If you need to do a lot of power washing, it’s worth buying your own.
- You don’t need to drive to get one every time you need to power wash.
- You need to take care of maintenance and winterizing the pressure washer.
- If you don’t use it often, it may end up being a waste of money.
- You may not be able to afford the upfront cost of a great model.
Tips for Using a Power Washer Safely
Before you go and rent a power washer, here are some great tips for staying safe when you are using the power tool.
- Wear protective clothing, like gloves and glasses, to protect yourself from flying debris.
- Avoid ladders to prevent injuries, even when washing high up, like your house’s siding.
- Know which nozzle to use. If yours comes with a zero-degree nozzle, we recommend avoiding that as it’s super forceful.
- Engage the safety lock when not using the machine. This can avoid accidental injury to yourself, kids, and pets.
- When using gas pressure washers, always work in a well-ventilated area away from kids and pets. The fumes are hazardous.
- Read the user manual and any other material the rental place gives you. This will give you specific instructions and important safety warnings.
- Prepare the surrounding area, covering anything fragile or electronics. Remove children and pets from the area.
- Don’t use extension cords with electric models as this can risk electrocution.
- Before switching over any attachments, turn the water off, release all pressure from the washer and then change the attachment.
When to Hire a Professional
There are some good reasons to hire a professional rather than renting a power washer or buying your own. This includes:
- You don’t know what you’re doing: If you’ve never power washed, it’s maybe easier and more cost-effective to hire a professional.
- It’s a big job ahead: If you don’t have the time or energy to tackle a huge job, then hiring a professional is ideal. You can sit inside and watch a movie while they do the hard work!
- The job will take a long time: Renting a power washer gets more expensive with each passing day, so it may be more beneficial to hire someone.
The cost of hiring a professional is usually between $173 and $311 per day (9). This may change depending on your area and the job needing to be done.
To Rent or Not to Rent?
That is the question. Renting will cost between $29.99 and $260 depending on the model you choose and where you rent from. Buying a new power washer can cost about $50 up to $500.
If you are going to use the tool often, we do recommend buying your own. But testing it out or using it as a one-off is a very good reason to rent.