Carpets provide a luxurious coziness and softness under our feet. But they’re not as easy to clean as hard floors. You might already vacuum regularly, but how often do you clean your carpet, tackle stains, and issue a deep clean?
We’ll walk you through how often you should vacuum, spot clean, deep clean, and professionally clean your carpet. After all, cleaning your carpets properly can maintain your warranty.
Let’s look at all the important details.
- Vacuum high traffic areas 2-4 times a week and other areas 1-2 times a week.
- Spot clean stains immediately using carpet cleaning solutions and a clean cloth.
- Professional carpet cleaning is recommended every 6-12 months, depending on household size, presence of pets, and smoking habits.
- Regular cleaning extends carpet life and maintains warranty; check manufacturer’s requirements for warranty claims.
The first step in keeping your carpet clean is vacuuming. Your vacuum dislodges dirt and dust, then sucks it up out of your carpet (1). This helps prevent the fibers from being worn away or looking dull and lackluster.
High traffic areas, such as entrances, might need vacuuming two to four times a week. The rest of your carpets, however, depending on the dynamics of your home, can be vacuumed once or twice a week.
It’s common sense really: if you live alone, then you won’t need to vacuum as often as a family of eight with children and pets.
We understand you might see vacuuming as a chore you want to get over quickly, but take your time. Speed is not of the essence here. For a vacuum to do its work and beat out the dust and dirt, work slowly.
It happens — you spill a glass of wine, the kids trample mud in, your furry friends have accidents. Clean these mishaps up as soon as they happen.
You can use spray carpet cleaning shampoos and solutions. Pop some on a clean cloth and blot the stain. Work inwards towards the center of the stain, so you don’t spread it even further.
Rinse the cleaner off with a damp, clean cloth and then stack some paper towels on it underneath a heavy object. This will absorb any remaining moisture.
It’s a good idea to hire professionals to clean your carpet, but how often?
While there are no time frames set in stone, we have some recommendations and considerations:
- Single households or those with little foot traffic: You can generally get away with a professional clean every couple of years. On the other hand, a large family with kids in the mix might need a deep clean every nine to 12 months. Large families will experience more dirt and spills than single folk.
- Smokers: If you have smokers in the home, you might want to clean your carpet more often, around every six months.
- Pet parents: A home with pets could also need a specialist clean every six months or so. Apart from the accidents they might have, the dander and fur get into your carpet. Unfortunately, vacuuming alone can’t always get rid of all the shedding.
You can also look into renting or purchasing a carpet cleaner or steam cleaner with a carpet attachment. We have one of these, and it’s magical.
It’s a matter of using your judgment as to when to call in the big guns. There is an exception to this rule which we have mentioned — a carpet warranty.
Watch Out For Warranties
Now we have answered your question of how often to clean carpet, you can make sure yours look good for years to come.
Vacuum regularly, clean up spills and accidents, and schedule that deep clean, so you don’t forget about it. Don’t wait until your carpet looks way past its best and you have to buy a new one.