There’s no one clothes hanger that fits all on the market.
Different clothes require different clothes hangers to protect the fabric.
We’re here to recommend the best clothes hangers available so you can keep your wardrobe organized and take good care of your garments.
- Contoured shoulders
- Grooves for strappy clothes
- Saves closet space
- No bending
- Non-slip design
- Wide shoulder design
- Foam padding accessory bar
- Absorbs moisture & odors
- Soft velvet material
- Organized dividers
- Well-sized hangers
- Adjustable clips
- Flexible rotatable hook
- Study & durable design
- Compact and lightweight
- Suitable for all garments
- Anti-skid grooves
- Great for dresses
- Gentle on fabric
- Grooves and non-slip feature
- No hanger bumps or creases
- Non-slip coating
- Durable steel material
- Thick padding
- Non-slip design
- Elegant & beautiful design
- High-quality metal
- Works horizontally & vertically
Is It Better to Hang Your Clothes or Fold Them?
Some clothes need to be folded, others should be hung.
What to Hang
- Dress and casual pants.
- Dress shirts.
- Flowy clothes.
- Pleated items.
- Anything that tends to wrinkle.
- Lightweight clothes.
- Garments you’ve starch treated.
What to Fold
- Thick sweaters or knitwear.
- T-shirts made of synthetic materials.
- Heavy garments.
- Stretchy clothes.
- Embellished items.
Something to Note
How to Choose the Best Clothes Hangers
When choosing the best hangers for your clothes, consider these important details.
The best clothes hangers come in a range of materials. You’ll find wooden, plastic, satin, metal and velvet hangers. There are pros and cons to each.
- They don’t bend.
- Prevent clothes from stretching.
- More expensive.
- They might splinter if not treated properly.
- Easy to find.
- Come in a range of sizes.
- Not long-lasting.
- Bend if the garment is too heavy.
- Thick and durable.
- Don’t get warped by heavy clothes.
- Great for jackets and winter clothes.
- They look good in designer wardrobes.
- More expensive.
- Hard to find.
- Padded to prevent damage.
- Many design options.
- Good for delicate clothes.
- Not good for heavy clothes.
- Great for delicate clothes.
- Prevent clothes from slipping.
- Color transfer can occur if the clothes are wet.
- Don’t have nooks for dress or shirt straps.
The best material depends on what you need the hangers for.
Type of Clothing
When shopping for new clothes hangers, consider the type of clothing you are going to be hanging. Whether you’ll be hanging jeans, suit jackets, dresses, skirts, pants, baby clothes or shirts — every type of clothing will require a different type of hanger.
For example, jeans, suit jackets, and pants will need durable hangers like wooden or metal ones.
Skirts work best with hangers that have clips.
Baby clothes and dresses will benefit from velvet or satin hangers since they’re more delicate.
Shirts will benefit from rounded hangers to prevent stretching, especially around the shoulder area.
If you have a big wardrobe, you are free to choose any hanger you like! But if you’re low on space, you might need to consider different types of hangers. For example, plastic and metal hangers don’t take up too much space. But there are also specific space-saving hangers.
Choosing a durable hanger is both a good choice for your clothes and your wallet. You want your hangers to last a long time. For example, plastic hangers are much more prone to breaking than wooden hangers. Plus, if you’re going to be hanging a lot of heavy clothes — you’ll want a more durable option.
If you have a lot of delicate clothes, you want to consider the safest option. Hangers with metal clips or sharp parts can easily rip through fabrics in your wardrobe. Satin and velvet hangers are the most gentle types. Wooden hangers are pretty safe, but if not properly treated, they can splinter.
Clothes hangers come in a range of prices to suit most budgets. However, with a smaller budget, you might have to settle for plastic hangers. If you have a larger budget, you can choose more expensive hangers such as metal or wooden hangers.
The Best Clothes Hangers of 2020
We’ve spent hours researching expert advice, real customer reviews, as well as applying our own insight. With this information, we are here to recommend you the 11 best clothes hangers to keep your outfits in tip-top condition.
1. Zober High-Grade Wooden Suit Hangers
The Zober high-grade wooden hangers are the best hangers for suits. These luxurious hangers have varnished wood and a beautiful shape that’s perfect for suit jackets, shirts and dress pants.
The contoured shoulder line prevents shoulder bumps and allows garments to keep their best shape. So when you take them off the hanger, they look as good as they did when you hung them up.
They’re made from lotus tree wood, making the hangers extremely durable. They’re perfect for suits, coats and jackets, even heavy ones!
You can even save space by hanging pants over the accessory bar and a jacket on the shoulders of the same hanger. This also keeps the outfit in one place, which saves you time in the morning.
- Smooth, quality and splinter-free wood.
- Contoured shoulders to keep the shape of your clothes.
- Grooves for strappy clothes.
- Nylon-covered accessory bar to prevent slipping.
- They take up space.
|Size||17.5 x 9 inches per hanger|
|Weight||4.16 ounces per hanger|
2. MIZGI Premium Velvet Hangers
Velvet hangers are a top choice for delicate clothes, being gentle on garments and preventing clothes slipping. Our top recommendation for the best velvet hangers are the Mizgi premium velvet hangers.
They come in six different color options so you can choose the style that matches your decor the best. They are a super sleek and slim design that can help save up to 50% of your closet space!
These sturdy hangers can hold up to 18 pounds per hanger. So if you have a heavy jacket or winter gear, hang it on one of these!
They also have an accessory bar so you can fold clothes over, as well as hanging up scarves and belts.
Lastly, there is no shedding or fading onto your clothes. Plus, it’s a non-slip design, so your clothes will stay put when in the closet.
- Saves up to 50% of closet space.
- Can hold heavy garments.
- No bending or hanger bumps on.
- Non-slip design.
- You might need to shake before use to remove loose velvet.
|Best For||Delicate clothes, but can handle anything|
|Size||17.5 x 0.2 x 9 inches per hanger|
|Weight||2.7 ounces per hanger|
3. TOPIA HANGER Luxury Wooden Hangers
Go the extra mile to prevent shoulder bumps and treat yourself to the Topia Hanger luxury wooden hangers. These may be on the more expensive side, but they are uniquely designed to keep your clothes in amazing condition in your closet.
The wide shoulder design supports your shirts, coats, jackets and other clothes to keep them in the best shape. If you’re going to fold your clothes over the accessory bar, you don’t have to worry about bumps and creases either. It has a foam padding to give you a crease-free result.
The Topia hangers are made of cedar and give off a fresh forest scent so that your clothes smell great! But they also absorb moisture and odor in your closet so that clothes don’t get musty in there.
Although these hangers are great for suits, you can also hang sweaters and wool garments, too. The wood is beautifully finished so it won’t scratch the garments.
- Wide shoulder design to prevent bumps.
- Foam padding accessory bar.
- Absorbs moisture and odors.
- Natural wood with pest control properties.
- They take up space.
|Best For||Suits, shirts, jackets and sweatshirts|
|Size||17.5 x 2.2 x 10.04 inches per hanger|
|Weight||10.2 ounces per hanger|
4. Baby Nest Designs Unisex Baby Hangers
The Baby Nest Designs unisex baby hangers are useful for baby clothes! Not only are they the perfect size — they come with dividers so you can organize your closet by clothes size. Easily see newborn clothes, 0-3 month clothes, 3-6 months and so on.
This saves you time when looking for an outfit for your baby to wear, especially when you have lots of clothes! You can organize your outfits by size, saving you time on those busier days.
These handy dividers are circular but they are carefully weighted so they don’t spin upside down. They’ll always remain upright and easy to read.
Although the dividers are cool, the hangers are even better. They’re made of a soft velvet so they’re gentle on your baby’s clothes. Plus, the clothes won’t slip off the hangers! They even have an accessory bar for added convenience.
- Soft velvet material.
- Organize dividers to separate clothes by age range.
- Dividers always remain upright.
- Well-sized hangers for baby clothes.
- You might outgrow these hangers after a year.
|Best For||Baby clothes|
|Size||11.1 x 6.7 inches per hanger|
|Weight||1.76 ounces per hanger|
5. HOUSE DAY Wooden Pants Hangers
Do you wear pants and skirts on a regular basis? Then the House Day wooden pants hangers can suit both these garments.
The adjustable clips on the bars can hold up pants and skirts of any size. Hanging the garments this way also helps to eliminate wrinkles while the clothes are stored away in your closet.
Inside the clips are soft rubber cushions to help protect your clothing from tear and damage. Combined with the durable solid wood of the hanger, these products can hold any skirt or pants.
- Adjustable clips with rubber cushioning.
- Flexible rotatable hook.
- Study and durable design.
- Ideal for skirts and pants.
- You can’t hang dresses, shirts or jackets on these hangers.
|Material||Wood and stainless steel|
|Best For||Pants and skirts|
|Size||14.48 x 0.56 x 7.5 inches per hanger|
|Weight||4.8 ounces per hanger|
6. Trubetter Portable Folding Clothes Hangers
If you’re on the go a lot, or just want to try out a foldable hanger, the Trubetter portable folding clothes hangers are our top pick. These hangers fold up really small to fit in your bag or even pocket while you’re on the go. They’re slim and compact, so don’t take up much space at all.
What’s great is that these hangers are suitable for baby clothes, women’s clothes and men’s clothes. You can keep unfolding them to make them bigger to suit larger clothes! Plus, they have anti-skid grooves to keep your clothes from slipping off the hanger.
Each one has two small clips so you can hang up skirts, shorts, pants and socks, too. So no matter what clothes you bring on your trip, you can hang them up with the Trubetter hangers.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Suitable for baby, women’s and men’s clothes.
- Suitable for all types of garments.
- Anti-skid grooves so clothes don’t fall off.
- Not recommended for heavy clothes.
|Best For||Lightweight clothes of any kind|
|Size||10.3 x 6.9 x 2 inches per hanger|
|Weight||1.31 ounces per hanger|
7. Utopia Home Premium Non-Slip Velvet Hangers
The best hangers for dresses are the Utopia Home premium non-slip velvet hangers. Why? Because the velvet is soft and gentle on the fabric. The grooves are useful for strappy dresses. And the hangers can hold up to 10 pounds, so even if your dress is heavy — this hanger can support it.
As well as the grooves to keep your clothes in place, the velvet is also non-slip. So you don’t need to worry about opening your closet to find your dresses have slipped to the floor.
These hangers will also help to save space in your closet. Each hanger is only 0.2 inches wide so you can fit more clothes into your wardrobe.
- Great for dresses.
- Gentle on fabric.
- Grooves and non-slip feature to support clothes.
- Can handle up to 10 pounds per hanger.
- They bend easily.
- Some customers complain of the velvet shedding.
|Material||Velvet and plastic.|
|Size||17.5 x 9 x 0.24 inches per hanger|
|Weight||2.56 ounces per hanger|
8. Tosnail Slip-Reducing Contour Shirt Hangers
For no hanger bumps or unsightly creases, your dress shirts will love the Tosnail Contour Hangers. These rounded hangers will honor the natural shape of your dress shirts as well as preventing them from falling off the hanger.
The smooth plastic finish of this hanger is high quality to protect your dress shirts, no matter how delicate the material. The actual hanger is made of steel so it will last a long time.
These are also thin hangers so you can save space in your wardrobe and fit in more clothes.
Although we recommend them for dress shirts, they’re also great for sweatshirts, t-shirts, and blouses of any material.
- No hanger bumps or creases.
- Non-slip coating.
- Durable steel material.
- The metal hook doesn’t rotate.
- Hard to get clothes on and off because of the non-slip coating and wide shape.
|Material||Steel and plastic|
|Best For||Dress shirts, sweatshirts and blouses|
|Size||16.5 x 7.75 per hanger|
|Weight||2.3 ounces per hanger|
9. Whitmor Satin Hanger
While we recommend folded thick and knit sweaters, you’ll still want to hang up some sweaters in your closet. We always do this in the wintertime so we can easily see our cozy clothes! For that, we recommend the Whitmor Satin Hangers.
These are thickly padded to hold up your sweaters in super condition without hanger bumps. These are also suitable for delicates and blouses.
Each hanger has a beautiful shiny ivory satin coating with a delicate bow for an extra elegant touch. As well as being attractive in the closet, the Whitmor hangers protect your favorite garments from damage and stretching.
- Thick padding for ultimate protection.
- Prevents clothes from slipping off.
- Elegant and beautiful design.
- Great for sweaters, blouses and delicates.
- Not suitable for heavier garments.
- On the smaller side.
|Material||Satin with foam lining|
|Best For||Sweaters, blouses and delicates|
|Space Saving||No, they’re thick so they take up some space|
|Size||15.5 x 0.87 x 2.88 inches per hanger|
|Weight||1.99 ounces per hanger|
10. TOPmore Metal Space Saving Hangers
On the hunt for a space-saving solution? The Topmore metal space saving hangers need to go in your basket! These metal hangers are super versatile and can help you save up to 30 percent of closet space.
With just one hanger, you can hang six garments vertically. Or you can hang 12 pieces horizontally. But if you’re really trying to save space, you’ll probably opt for the vertical option. When you choose this, the hanger falls at a bit of an angle and your garments go on descending hooks.
Note for this method, you will need to have space below your closet railing so the garments can hang freely.
One really awesome thing about this hanger is if you need to switch from horizontal to vertical hanging, all you need to do is remove one hook from the railing. Viola! You automatically save space.
- Saves a ton of space in your wardrobe.
- High-quality metal that won’t bend or break.
- Hangers won’t slide from the slots.
- Works horizontally and vertically.
- Clothes hangers (that hang on this hanger) not included.
- With the shirts so close together, clothes may wrinkle more.
|Best For||Shirts, t-shirts, blouses, dresses|
|Size||8.8 x 3.6 x 1 inches per hanger|
|Weight||9.6 ounces per hanger|
11. iDesign Axis Scarf Hanger
Belts, scarves and ties need proper storage, too. For that, we recommend the iDesign Axis hanger which can store your favorite accessories.
It has 18 snag-free loops of various sizes so that you can hang all types of belts, scarves and ties. Keep everything organized in one place so you can easily reach for the accessory of your choice.
It’s a very elegant storage solution that saves you space and promotes organization. Go from shoving everything in a drawer to hanging it all up so you can see it all at a glance.
- Snag-free loops.
- 18 holes.
- Good for ties, scarves and belts.
- Keeps your wardrobe organized.
- The small holes won’t work for thick scarves.
- No non-slip features.
|Best For||Ties, belts and scarves|
|Size||11.5 x 0.5 x 9.75 inches|
|Zober Wooden Hangers||Suit||Wood||Suits||17.5 x 9″||4.16 oz|
|MIZGI Velvet Hangers||Velvet||Velvet||Delicate clothes, but can handle anything||17.5 x 0.2 x 9″||2.7 oz|
|TOPIA HANGER Luxury Hangers||Prevent Shoulder Bumps||Wood||Suits, shirts, jackets & sweatshirts||17.5 x 2.2 x 10.04″||10.2 oz|
|Baby Nest Designs Baby Hangers||Baby Clothes||Velvet||Bax clothes||11.1 x 6.7″||1.76 oz|
|HOUSE DAY Pants Hangers||Pants & Skirts||Wood & stainless steel||Pants & skirts||14.48 x 0.56 x 7.5″||4.8 oz|
|Trubetter Portable Hangers||Foldable||Plastic||Lightweight clothes of any kind||10.3 x 6.9 x 2″||1.31 oz|
|Utopia Home Velvet Hangers||Dresses||Velvet & plastic.||Dresses||17.5 x 9 x 0.24″||2.56 oz|
|Tosnail Slip-Reducing Hangers||Dress Shirts||Steel & plastic||Dress shirts, sweatshirts & blouses||16.5 x 7.75″||2.3 oz|
|Whitmor Satin Hanger||Sweaters||Satin with foam lining||Sweaters, blouses & delicates||15.5 x 0.87 x 2.88″||1.99 oz|
|TOPmore Space Saving Hangers||Space Saving||Metal||Shirts, t-shirts, blouses, dresses||8.8 x 3.6 x 1″||9.6 oz|
|iDesign Axis Scarf Hanger||Belts, Scarves & Ties||Metal||Ties, belts & scarves||11.5 x 0.5 x 9.75″||11.2 oz|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Better to Hang or Fold Your Jeans?
With jeans, there’s no right or wrong answer. They can handle being hung and folded. In our house, we like to hang them as it gives them a bit more breathing room and prevents obvious creases. But if you are low on wardrobe space, your jeans will be totally fine folded as well!
What Type of Hangers Are Best for Clothes?
Overall, the best hangers are wooden ones because they are sturdy, well made and can accommodate most clothing types. They usually have a horizontal bar for folding pants on. Plus, they tend to have little nooks for hanging strappy dresses and shirts.
However, velvet and padded hangers are almost just as good. In general, though, flimsy plastic hangers are the least preferred because they aren’t as strong and can break easily.
Do Velvet Hangers Shed?
We haven’t had this issue with our velvet hangers. But if you buy cheap ones, you might. To prevent this, gently remove clothes from velvet hangers instead of pulling them off.
How Do You Hang Clothes Without Hanger Marks?
We have some top tips to prevent hanger marks on clothes:
- Choose the right hanger for your garment. Hanging a sweatshirt on a wire hanger will surely leave hanger marks. Instead, choose a wooden clothes hanger for heavier items.
- Avoid hangers with grooves for sweaters. These are specifically for clothes with thin straps.
- Try folding clothes over the horizontal bar rather than hanging them by the shoulders.
- If nothing else works, use padded hangers.
How Do You Get Rid of Hanger Bumps?
If you do end up with hanger marks, there are a few ways to get rid of them.
- Spritz water: You can easily remove hanger bumps by spritzing the shoulders of the garment with clean water. Put on the garment while it’s still damp and let your body heat relax the fibers into the proper place.
- Hairdryer: Spritz the shoulders with water. Then use a hairdryer to dry the area while using your fingers to flatten the bumps.
- Ice cube: Grab an ice cube from the freezer and run it over the bumps to flatten them.
- Steam it: Use your garment steamer to smooth out the bumps. Hold it about six inches away from the shoulders and let the steam relax the fibers and work out the creases.
It’s time to make room for new hangers! Getting the right hanger can transform your wardrobe. They can make more space, take better care of your clothes and support your favorite fabrics much better.
Overall, our top pick for clothes hangers is the Zober High-Grade Wooden Suit Hangers. While great for suits, you can also use them for other garments.
In the market for hangers for your baby’s clothes? You should try the Baby Nest Design hangers.
At the end of the day, you can’t go wrong with these hangers as long as you consider the type of clothing you’re going to be storing.